Home General Discussion
Options

Legit Cuban?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I honestly don't care either way! Got it as a gift from someone who went south of the border this last week. I'm trying to remember what the signs of counterfeit Cohibas were but can't remember. The pact seems kinda soft and the cap looks a little sloppy. But like I said... Makes no difference. Gonna smoke it anyway! Plus it's the thought that he remembered I like cigars and picked it up special for me. :)

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol not even close.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    lol not even close.

So what were the signs that pointed you to that conclusion? (for future reference for myself)
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just me thinking out loud.....I would not smoke that.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66:
    jgibv:
    lol not even close.

So what were the signs that pointed you to that conclusion? (for future reference for myself)
    1) the cap (or lack there of)
    2) imperfections on wrapper
    3) overall "sloppiness" of the roll/constructions
    4) the fact that you said it feels "squishy"
    5a) band - doesn't line up on the back
    5b) band - font/coloring/etc

here's a good article on CA that shows a legit band vs fake bands too, so you can get a visual: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit/view/id/15403

• Options
    Ill read this article later on this morning. :) Thanks for the input!

As for smoking it... Yes or no? already one suggestion to possibly not smoke it. Thoughts?
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I would not smoke it. Filler is probably trash with all kinds of nasty stuff swept off a floor. I would cut it open to see what it looks like. Check out some of DZR's experiments
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have very little experience with CCs but I'd bet a full cooler of NCs that it's fake. I say smoke a half inch or an inch just to get a feel for the flavor and then hack off the cherry and do a little DZR autopsy number on it. With pics of course. They say there's all sorts of stuff in them. I'd like to see what you get. On second thought,....maybe smoking any of that cigar is risky.
  • Options
    I think im gonna take a note from DZRs book... Im totally dissecting. :) I haven't done a dissection yet! PICS TO COME!!!!
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    Personally, I would not smoke it. Filler is probably trash with all kinds of nasty stuff swept off a floor. I would cut it open to see what it looks like. Check out some of DZR's experiments
    yes. you don't know what kind of crud could be in there. dissect it.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Man, that is one ugly, crooked cigar. The wrapper looks like the leather skin of a woman who has sunbathed with reckless abandon for the last 30 years!

For future reference, the easiest way to spot a fake Cohiba is someone who knows nothing about CC buys one on vacation. The second easiest way is to look at the rows and columns of squares on the label. If any are cut off, misaligned, tapered, etc. that is a dead giveaway. See how the Cohiba label cuts two of the squares in half before the C of Cohiba?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's a pyramid, which isn't a regular release Cohiba with that band. Defs fake.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Man, that is one ugly, crooked cigar. The wrapper looks like the leather skin of a woman who has sunbathed with reckless abandon for the last 30 years!

For future reference, the easiest way to spot a fake Cohiba is someone who knows nothing about CC buys one on vacation. The second easiest way is to look at the rows and columns of squares on the label. If any are cut off, misaligned, tapered, etc. that is a dead giveaway. See how the Cohiba label cuts two of the squares in half before the C of Cohiba?

Had they just moved the "Cohiba" Box over a small bit it would have looked better. LOL
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pshhhh. Dont listen to these fools. That noise is real. Just like the ones I've reviewed. I'll take it if you dont want it. Haters gonna hate yo
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like something Juinn droped in the parking lot at Casa.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Pshhhh. Dont listen to these fools. That noise is real. Just like the ones I've reviewed. I'll take it if you dont want it. Haters gonna hate yo

Yeah its gotta be legit right? Ill tell ya what... Ill trade you this "real" Cuban for a box of Undercrowns.... PM me and we will arrange the swap. ;)
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    For future reference, the easiest way to spot a fake Cohiba is someone who knows nothing about CC buys one on vacation.
    This. Especially if it's Mexico (or anywhere in Latin America, really).

It's bogus, no question. Cohiba is the most expensive marque of Cuban cigars, and while their value and blends may be debatable, their production value is flawless - you would not find a cigar that sloppily-made, nor a band that is set so loosely, on anything from the legitimate Cohiba factory.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Don't smoke rolled toenails
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Extremely poor quality wrapper,bad band! And poorly applied band that's just off the get go
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Don't smoke rolled toenails
    But they taste sooo good.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't beleive these guys. It is real. Check the cello on the third pic. If it's 2" longer (or more) than the actual cigar, genuine.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    AH SWEET! the Cello is EXACTLY 2 inches longer than the cigar! Man... I struck rich on this one!
  • Options
    Im also willing to bet that since some of the white squares are cut off by the "Cohiba" that is a misprint which makes it even more rare! Probably filled with unicorn hair and tobacco grown by Jesus himself!
  • Options
    SEE MY DISSECTION!!!!! :)
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    dip it in starter fluid and use it to light your Christmas log
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Chaos PM me your addy!
  • Options
    Pm sent
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Too many imperfections on the wrapper, looks poorly rolled, the letters on the band don't look embossed, the band is crooked, also from what I can see I don't see a triple cap. I would totally say these are fakes. By any chance do you know how much they paid for the?
  • Options
    He paid $15 for it. Lol
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Straight from Mexico...9405903699300310745766
  • Options
    benhanks:
    Straight from Mexico...9405903699300310745766

Many thanks in advance!