Home General Discussion
Options

Is this true or matter of opinion?

Does the flavor of a cigar decrease as it gets larger in ring size? because I'm thinking of getting some 601 La Bomba's in the 7 x 70 size but a buddy suggested I get it smaller to enjoy the flavor more....what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    Ring gage is a personnal prefrance, but generally your friend is correct. The bigger the ring gauge the more filler. The smaller the ring gauge the less filler and you taste the leaf more.
  • Options
    Chuck N:
    Ring gage is a personnal prefrance, but generally your friend is correct.
    The bigger the ring gauge the more filler. The smaller the ring gauge the less filler and you taste the leaf more.

You're a gentleman and a scholar...thanks!!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Totally depends on the wrapper and the filler. If you want to taste more wrapper go for the smaller rg. If the cigar is using tasty filler leaves than a bigger cigar may be very tasty indeed. It's all personal preference, you should try them all and decide for yourself.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it depends on the blending style of the factory/master blender.

this is a very complex question.

i mean, it is very easy to pack a 6x60 with nothing but ligero and it is very easy to put no ligero in a 7x 38.

in fact, many of these super skinnys have zero ligero because it would effect the burn and/or overpower the rest of the blend.

really (as stated above) if the wrapper is a stronger leaf, then the cigar will be milder as it gets larger in ring.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Try the Partagas 1845 robusto which is a 49 ring size. It's listed as a medium bodied smoke. For me, its a full on full-bodied smoke. Really flavorful. Then try the 6x60 gigante. It would make a good experiement because the 49 ring size packs a punch. I find it a flavorful stick and would provide a good base for comparison of size with flavor. I have yet to try the gigante but it's on the list for me. I guess it depends on the blend too. Smoke time changes the character of the cigar too, you may get more complex flavor from the larger cigar at different points of the smoke.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the cliff notes - The flavor does not increase with a smaller ring gauge so much as it simply,.....changes. You will get more wrapper flavor with smaller ring gauges but, the blend ratios of the filler and binder will change too.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not saying right or wrong one way or the other but the general rule of thumb that I've heard (not sure how accurate but meh), is that more than glad the "flavor" comes from the wrapper while a good portion of the body comes from the filler. So smaller RG sticks have a better ratio or wrapper to filler. I prefer small RG but that's simply my preference. I don't think you'd notice too much of a difference either way honestly.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    duplicate
  • Options
    Sorry I cant recommend any 70 ring gauge cigars. Maybe someone else can.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like ring sizes 38 to 52 for flavor. There is always exceptions though. I smoked a Viaje 58 yesterday and it blew me away and I smoked a Nub 60 this AM that was very nice. The Viaje was released as a single ring size and the Nub was blended as a 60 and a 64. I've found that a cigar released in a single ring size has more flavor than the larger rings in a cigar released in several ring sizes.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i think a lot of time the answer to this is what vitola did the blender blend the cigar while testing. Some cigars are blended for a 50 standard robusto and totally lose their luster when they get beefed up into the bigger RGs. Some (like the nub) get blended as a bigger ring gauge and i would assume would be overpowering in a smaller RG.

with the push for big RG cigars i bet that you will see more cigars be blended for that bigger RG and start using tobacco that is generally used for the wrapper as the filler or binder to bring out the flavors that you see in smaller RGs now in those big bad boys.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had the 601 in that size and it's a really good cigar... you just feel violated when you're smoking it!

• Options
    My fellow lovers of the leaf.....thanks for all your inputs I have read all the comments and it really helped.