Home General Discussion
Options

Hi everyone
I'm a new member. Not a huge cigar smoker, only smoke in lounges, maybe a dozen or so a year. I've been gradually working my way up from the very very mild stuff like Oliva Connecticut Reserve. I'm now finding that I like *some "medium-full" bodied cigars, but with minimal spice/pepper/hotness.
Here's the problem... my 2 current favorites are not that easy to find. I'm into the EP Carrillo La Historia, and the Esteban Carrares Chupa Cabra.
So, question... what's in the same league as these... medium-full, but not burn your tongue off... very popular every store has 'em???

Thanks!

Paul

Comments

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, there are many great people here who can help you on your quest for great smokes.

I would suggest Arturo Fuente Hemmingway in Classic or Signature size as a good medium bodied cigar with a great Cameroon wrapper. Just about every cigar store I have ever been to has a box of Hemmingways. It was the one that hooked me many years ago!

Long ashes to you friend!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    I've had the Hemingway. Not bad. Thinking back, I don't remember it being quite as smooth as the 2 I mentioned, but maybe I need to give it another try.

youngryan216:
    Welcome to the forum, there are many great people here who can help you on your quest for great smokes.

I would suggest Arturo Fuente Hemmingway in Classic or Signature size as a good medium bodied cigar with a great Cameroon wrapper. Just about every cigar store I have ever been to has a box of Hemmingways. It was the one that hooked me many years ago!

Long ashes to you friend!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at My Father Flor De Las Antilles or the regular My Father line. Most places have those and would fit the bill you are looking for. Don't let the lighter wrapper fool you they still have a bit of strength and tons of flavor and just a bit of pepper. I would also point you in the direction of the Tatuaje Red Label line or Padron Thousand Series (their base line) try the Maduros in any of their sizes.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Without aging IMO this is impossible or atleast close to impossible. The stronger you go the more liegro is in the mix. Also it depends on what spice you really mean. Is it black pepper,white pepper or more nasally like a horse radish? Plus it really depends on your pallet! I don't think I've ever smoked either of the two you have said so really I can't recommend anything unless you really get into your likes and dislikes about certain blends.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    hmmm, well all I know is that the 2 I cited really do the trick for me. In the description of the La Historia, it says "rich, roasted nuts, coffee, hints of black pepper, and dark cocoa and hints of creaminess." It's perfect for my pallet.

Lee.mcglynn:
    Without aging IMO this is impossible or atleast close to impossible. The stronger you go the more liegro is in the mix. Also it depends on what spice you really mean. Is it black pepper,white pepper or more nasally like a horse radish? Plus it really depends on your pallet! I don't think I've ever smoked either of the two you have said so really I can't recommend anything unless you really get into your likes and dislikes about certain blends.
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    You liked the Oliva Connie, have you tried the Olive Serie "V"? Most agree it's a great med-full smoke.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Stick around and learn something. Lotsa great people here.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    You liked the Oliva Connie, have you tried the Olive Serie "V"? Most agree it's a great med-full smoke.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Stick around and learn something. Lotsa great people here.
    +1 to the Oliva Serie V. I would also try the Kristoff Britannia. Some more info would help though. Are you looking for an everyday smoke? Are you concerned with price? If you're only looking at smoking once a month as a way to really treat yourself and don't mind spending a little more that might change some suggestions. For example I think you might like the Padron 1964 maduro but I wouldn't consider that an everyday smoke for me.

Also, welcome! This place has a wealth of knowledge and some of the best people you'll ever meet. They've helped me a ton the last few months so I hope you stick around!
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi everyone I'm a new member. Not a huge cigar smoker, only smoke in lounges, maybe a dozen or so a year. I've been gradually working my way up from the very very mild stuff like Oliva Connecticut Reserve. I'm now finding that I like *some "medium-full" bodied cigars, but with minimal spice/pepper/hotness. Here's the problem... my 2 current favorites are not that easy to find. I'm into the EP Carrillo La Historia, and the Esteban Carrares Chupa Cabra. So, question... what's in the same league as these... medium-full, but not burn your tongue off... very popular every store has 'em??? Thanks! Paul
    Welcome Paul. I'm not a huge smoker either. I only smoke in lounges, or outdoors, or in my garage, or in my old truck, maybe just a few hundred a year. LOL I'm not going to even try to answer you question but instead, offer a suggestion from my perspective. I've only been serious about cigars for about four years now. I would suggest that you buy more of the ones you know you like. A full box or half a box each. You may not wish to have your own humidor but a humidor isn't even a necessity. You can store cigars using Boveda packets in zip-lock bags or plastic containers. That way you can continue your search for new favorites while knowing your old favorites are at hand. I suspect your tastes will change over time as well (seems like everyone's does) but, you'll probably wish to revisit you old favorites throughout your search for new favorites. .
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    LFD Air Bender.
    just stay away from the chisel if you wanna keep it on the medium side. the chisel uses a higher priming leaf for the wrapper giving it a fuller body. its a solid smoke.

i would also look at teh JdN Cabbinetta and room 101 Connecticut.

this is more of a concept that an suggestion, but...
    try slowing your smoking pace.
    the slower you smoke the cooler the smoke will be, lessening much of the spice in many cigars. i dont like over the top spice much either and i found that at the pace i smoke spice is much less. for example, it takes me almost 2 hours to smoke a robusto, 2:30 for a toro. 1:45 for a corona gorda.

you dont have to be that slow, thats just my style. but slow down and you will fint the complexities rather than the spice.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paul, welcome to the forums! I prefer medium/full bodied cigars and a few of my favorites that, IMO, lean more toward the medium side would be...

Oliva Serie V
    Ave Maria Imaculata
    LFD Airbender
    Alec Bradley American Century
    My Father Le Bijou
    Kristoff Maduro

I think I heard that the next CCOM Forum Newsletter will feature some reviews of medium/full smokes. If you PM your mailing address, I can make sure you get a copy.

Above all, have fun!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Welcome Paul! Lots of great guys here with lots of knowledge. Stick around, you'll learn a lot!
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Can't believe Kuzi didn't mention AVO. I've always found most of their lines had minimal spice while having tons of complex flavors. Flor de las Antillas has little to no spice while offering a solid medium body. The Padron Anniversary series leans a little more full, but very smooth in my opinion. Most Davidoffs eschew that heavy spice, but they are pricey and a little harder to find in a B&M.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the madness! Try Caldwell cigars especially the eastern standard for medium body goodness. Everyone I've had has been fantastic.
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum..
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    Can't believe Kuzi didn't mention AVO.
    price point is a factor here. if you are willing to spend the coin then they are worth it but many find that the price is off-putting at times.

but they are dropping the price a touch. should help.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Welcome p.aulmartin and Goodbye!!!!
    Watch out for Kuzi he'll put songs in your head that you wish stayed forgotten. Try Perdomo champagne and MOW virtue. if cost aint an issue go with Ashton cabinet or Don Diego Playboy.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Try Perdomo champagne
    yes.... for got that one
  • Options
    Took me a while, but I finally made it in to my favorite lounge today and had 2… the Flor De Las Antilles by My Father, and the Series V by Oliva. I smoked the My Father first. In the first inch I was tempted to throw in the towel, it was just too much for me….. but I've seen this before, so I kept going. It settled down to be a very flavorful smoke…. on the edge of where I'm at in taste right now, but *very enjoyable. Then later I had the Oliva Series V. It was definitely more flavorful than the connecticut reserves I've had…. but seemed milder than the Flor De Las Antilles. BOTH were quite nice!!

PM

90+ Irishman:
    Take a look at My Father Flor De Las Antilles or the regular My Father line. Most places have those and would fit the bill you are looking for. Don't let the lighter wrapper fool you they still have a bit of strength and tons of flavor and just a bit of pepper. I would also point you in the direction of the Tatuaje Red Label line or Padron Thousand Series (their base line) try the Maduros in any of their sizes.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome I like the AVOs
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!