Home General Discussion
Options

AP Story: US and Cuba opening talks to normalize relationship

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Time to buy cubans NOW before they have to quickly ramp up production to meet demands. Before long we are going to be talking about the differences in quality between embargo and post embargo cubans. This is the justification I need to buy a couple boxes.

And I am equally excited about having access to Havan Club Anjo 7 Rum....
    yup I'm completely against this!! Cubans are cheap here for now and the qc is finally a ton better!! Lift it and all that goes away fast!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I´ve just skimmed through the responses here, so I believe this has been mentioned briefly...

But most of you are way ahead of yourselves with this news. Travelers are allowed to return from the island with no more than $100 in tobacco and alcohol; given the prices of cigars in Cuba this equals less than a handful of cigars, which hardly justifies the flight. The new allowances do not permit any commercial trade in cigars, so any Cuban cigars being sold in the US will remain illegal for now.

With that said, some of you are proclaiming that this is the herald of the end {of the embargo}. You are wrong...or at least, it's not going to be so easy. "Cuban cigars" may seem like a token thing, not one to be taken seriously when debating the politics of nations... but tobacco exports make up nearly 20% of Cuba's GDP, and the fact is that there are existing copyrights for essentially every existing major Cuban cigar manufacturer owned by NON-Cuban labels. Meaning that until those issues get settled - because they ARE major issues - none of the primary Cuban cigar production is going to reach US commercial sale. I firmly believe that those very copyright issues are going to be a major point in the discussion on lifting the embargo, and I'd very much doubt that Cuba is going to come to the table unless something gets worked out in that regard.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Hays:
    I´ve just skimmed through the responses here, so I believe this has been mentioned briefly...

But most of you are way ahead of yourselves with this news. Travelers are allowed to return from the island with no more than $100 in tobacco and alcohol; given the prices of cigars in Cuba this equals less than a handful of cigars, which hardly justifies the flight. The new allowances do not permit any commercial trade in cigars, so any Cuban cigars being sold in the US will remain illegal for now.

With that said, some of you are proclaiming that this is the herald of the end {of the embargo}. You are wrong...or at least, it's not going to be so easy. "Cuban cigars" may seem like a token thing, not one to be taken seriously when debating the politics of nations... but tobacco exports make up nearly 20% of Cuba's GDP, and the fact is that there are existing copyrights for essentially every existing major Cuban cigar manufacturer owned by NON-Cuban labels. Meaning that until those issues get settled - because they ARE major issues - none of the primary Cuban cigar production is going to reach US commercial sale. I firmly believe that those very copyright issues are going to be a major point in the discussion on lifting the embargo, and I'd very much doubt that Cuba is going to come to the table unless something gets worked out in that regard.
    It might not be easy to lift the embargo, but it was a specific talking point in the speech of a next step. Of course, that was something that came out of Obama's mouth so it and a nickel are worth 3 cents, but at least it's something that appears positive. And, as we just found out with the budget, as long as corporations and any senator with a pen are allowed to 'sneak' things into the bill, anything can pass at this point, right?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    WOW....can't you see those old cars flooding the auctions.
    Was thinking the same thing. I'm a weirdo, but I'd love to get a hold of an old Lada.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check out non cigar thread for the real topic... Fatkid
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    From what Im seeing Hays - it looks like travelers from *anywhere* can bring back no more than 100$ worth of Cuba products. So, if I were to go to Canada, I would be able to bring back cigars and rum.

Also... how many tears since my last post!??! :)
    Hays:

• Options
    NYHCx516x:
    From what Im seeing Hays - it looks like travelers from *anywhere* can bring back no more than 100$ worth of Cuba products. So, if I were to go to Canada, I would be able to bring back cigars and rum.

Also... how many tears since my last post!??! :)
    Lol well ok, but then you're paying Canada prices for cigars, and considering those taxes that's hardly worth it.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have come to find that this has some serious trade offs.

They dont tell you, but to get these negotiations with cuba.. we traded off some of our Transmitting bands, particularly the S-band. That has a huge impact to military testing and telemetry equipment. I dont know if im as happy about getting cigars for the loss of this frequency.

Aj
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NYHCx516x:
    From what I read in the CA article, that is not true. Only travelers to Cuba can bring back Cuban cigars, not travelers to other countries where Cuban Cigars are available.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Any links to that? Ive been trying to read up where I can. I have the link where I got my info on my system at home, I can post it after work. Thanks!
    Edna20:
    NYHCx516x:
    From what I read in the CA article, that is not true. Only travelers to Cuba can bring back Cuban cigars, not travelers to other countries where Cuban Cigars are available.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NYHCx516x:
    Any links to that? Ive been trying to read up where I can. I have the link where I got my info on my system at home, I can post it after work. Thanks!
    Edna20:
    NYHCx516x:
    Dude...how the hell you been?
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    the only thing about the deal is we may get cigars nothing else. I am sure Bill Clinton is very happy
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    NYHCx516x:
    Edna20:
    NYHCx516x:
    Dude...how the hell you been?
    Been laying low. Health stuff has kept me from enjoying smokes as much as I would like, but I still keep a decent stock. Been working hard, trying to pay off debt, while still getting some good travel in. Did Peru last year!
  • Options
    avengethis:
    Is this you? Or are you making fun of the poster? Because while I will not defend the pricing strategy of CC Cohibas, anybody who will put a Gurkha over them to that extent has a bit more palate development to go through.

• Options
    avengethis:
    Is this you? Or are you making fun of the poster? Because while I will not defend the pricing strategy of CC Cohibas, anybody who will put a Gurkha over them to that extent has a bit more palate development to go through.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow as being against lifting the embargo those people are idiots!! I'd smoke a gurhka before a raji but that is that! If we lift the embargo only bad things happen for us cigar guys! Crappier quality,horrible formentation and sky high prices for the whole industry. I gotta start buying now and not stop until the embargo lifts!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I am stopping buying all nc as a result. I am only going to smoke Cubans once a week for a review, and just smoke all the nc I have, while stocking up aging boxes monthly. Quality will go to hell, and pricing will go up. Once it settles after a few years, it will be better. What will be hilarious is watching all the nc companies who talk mad *** about Cubans do a total 180....
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been meaning to get an ISOM order placed. Looks like I should do it sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The recent changes won't do much really, nothing has changed other then those that were allowed I travel can bring back a box or two. However, I'd imagine a price increase will happen soon as they will begin to prepare themselves for change as relations ease. Either way, it will be a few years, and I'll be stocking up significantly until then to prepare for the 2-3 years of crap that will hit.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    avengethis:
    Definitely not me. I think this was on a CA post or something, I dont remember exactly where I pulled it from.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Will believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eff all this ... I'm gonna buy all the Oliva Melanios because they said it's the best in the whole wide world.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR