Home Cigar 101
Options

RH is way high

Well I can't get my RH under 70% I live in FL so humidity is always a problem but how can I get mine to be lower. I don't own the greatest humidor could that be part of the problem. I keep 25 cigars or less if that makes a difference. I am open to try anything. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg FL:
    Well I can't get my RH under 70% I live in FL so humidity is always a problem but how can I get mine to be lower. I don't own the greatest humidor could that be part of the problem. I keep 25 cigars or less if that makes a difference. I am open to try anything. Thanks
    id go with beads or boveda packs. Also a dehumidifier in the room will really help you!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Greg FL:
    id go with beads or boveda packs. Also a dehumidifier in the room will really help you!!
    +1 to Lee's advice. Try adding some "unseasoned" humidity beads and see if they'll help "soak up" the extra RH in your humi.

Another thought --- how big is your humidor? They say that a full humidor is a happy humidor because the cigars will act as a humidifier. Perhaps adding more cigars to fill the negative space would help.

Also, do you have a digital hygrometer or analog one?
    If analog, even though they have a nice classic look they're notoriously unreliable ... I'd suggest replacing it with a digital one.
    If digital, when was the last time you calibrated it? Maybe try replacing the battery and recalibrating it if you haven't done that recently.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    A quick way is to put a small packet of silica inside....those same packets that are in your box of new shoes. If you need to you can always use KL....just put about 12 ounces of dry unscented KL and the RH will come in down within an hour or so.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    High RH question? Check.Boveda reference? Check.KL reference? Check.Anyways...How big is the humidor? 25 smokes in a 300 ct would not cut it. Have you done a dollar bill test? (google it). What are you using for humidification right now?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    High RH question? Check.Boveda reference? Check.KL reference? Check.

Also
    Abbreviation/acronym reference given to an apparent newbie with no definition/explanation? Check.

(KL = Kitty litter. Specifically 100% silica kitty litter re-purposed for cigar humidification. Unscented of course.)
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Greg? GREG?!