Home General Discussion

What is a Fumas cigar?

I copied part of this article from CA, Mr. Suckling (Feb 08) about smoking a Fumas.  So, are the cigars like Gran Habano Corojo #5 Fumas Torpedo in this category?

Day 5: Smoking Fumas

Posted: 01:28 PM ET, February 08, 2008

Most tobacco farmers in Cuba’s Pinar del Rio, the best tobacco region on the island, have their own fumas. They are the cigars that they make from their own tobacco. You can call it their “home reserve” or “riserva de familia.” They keep a small amount of the tobacco they are growing for the state and make cigars for themselves, family and friends.

I have not had many from other growers but I can tell you that the Robaina family makes amazing fumas. They may be some of the best cigars on the island. I guess in a way they are “fake” cigars because they have not been officially made in a factory, or carry a label of a well-known brand. Pero no importa! (I am making a joke!)

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Luvin'''' Cigars:

I copied part of this article from CA, Mr. Suckling (Feb 08) about smoking a Fumas.  So, are the cigars like Gran Habano Corojo #5 Fumas Torpedo in this category?

Day 5: Smoking Fumas

Posted: 01:28 PM ET, February 08, 2008

Most tobacco farmers in Cuba’s Pinar del Rio, the best tobacco region on the island, have their own fumas. They are the cigars that they make from their own tobacco. You can call it their “home reserve” or “riserva de familia.” They keep a small amount of the tobacco they are growing for the state and make cigars for themselves, family and friends.

I have not had many from other growers but I can tell you that the Robaina family makes amazing fumas. They may be some of the best cigars on the island. I guess in a way they are “fake” cigars because they have not been officially made in a factory, or carry a label of a well-known brand. Pero no importa! (I am making a joke!)

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm pretty sure the Gran Habano Fumas are mixed filler.
  • sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Maduro think you are right - mixed or sandwich. I got a mazo of the Gran Habano Siglos Fumas for $25 ( 20 robustos) and they are pretty decent.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Fumas is spanish for smoke. Fumar is the verb to smoke. Fumas as a noun as it is used here basically means they have their own "smokes"
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Right you guys are. An actual cigar, Fuma, came about 5 years ago when Padron put one out. A Fuma is typically a whatever the factory manager wants to make but the ones for sale are most often a long corona or lonsdale and also have a twisted or flagged head for the cap. While the definition says nothing about a sandwich, most of the makers that are marketing a fuma are making it a sandwich, most likely to keep the price down.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Right you guys are. An actual cigar, Fuma, came about 5 years ago when Padron put one out. A Fuma is typically a whatever the factory manager wants to make but the ones for sale are most often a long corona or lonsdale and also have a twisted or flagged head for the cap. While the definition says nothing about a sandwich, most of the makers that are marketing a fuma are making it a sandwich, most likely to keep the price down.
    Thanks Alex. :)
  • Whitsmokes12Whitsmokes12 Posts: 1
    I just received my 20 Rocky Patel variety fumas cigars. Less then $50.  What did y'all think?I think Rocky is brand. Any other suggestions?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received my 20 Rocky Patel variety fumas cigars. Less then $50.  What did y'all think?I think Rocky is brand. Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, @Whitsmokes12.  I didn't catch the question, can you rephrase it?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yakster
    I think what he meant to say is “Rocky is BAND from my humidor, these FUMAS suck, do you have any other suggestions?
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There must be a full moon of something....
    Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • mizzoududeNo1mizzoududeNo1 Posts: 1

@Whitsmokes12 said:

Rocky Patel is my go to cigar. My favorite being the Vintage 1999. However, CAO makes a great cigar and I really haven't smoked a bad one no matter what the type. I recently tried Acid's, Drew Estates, Kuba Sumatra Toro and hands down one of the best cigars I've ever smoked. The draw was perfect, it wasn't spicey and had a pleasant sweet taste and aroma to it.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, why'd you change your username, DZR?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )