Home Cigar 101
Options

Help!

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
I knew this was going to happen....I cannot find the key to my humidor YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like a pretty basic skeleton type key. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and how you dealt with it??

Comments

• Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Oh man, you poor guy, lol. I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to get one. We have a cabinet that is old and we looked on Ebay and found tons of different styles.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Have you tried picking it with a paper clip?

Based on how the key looks, I think if you were to take a large paper clip and straighten it out, then make a 90 degree bend about 3/8" long it could work as the key part, then bend another 90 angle further up the shaft to give some leverage for turning.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Ah crap dude... this totally sucks. I've worried about this exact thing myself, and it's why I leave my box unlocked unless I have a specific reason to lock it, and then I put the key in a specific spot... I hope you figure something out bro, and let me know when you do for when I eventually eff myself over..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Locksmith, ship me your Humi and I will send it back, the only problem is that the tools lf "Smithing" usually cause allot of heat and small fires... I will try my best to not harm MOST of your sticks
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a key. its not extra so i would need it back... but if you cant find it or a replacement in a week or so ill send it out to you to get it open, then you can send it back.

as long as you dont lose that one too
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    i have a key. its not extra so i would need it back... but if you cant find it or a replacement in a week or so ill send it out to you to get it open, then you can send it back.

as long as you dont lose that one too
    Thanks...I am gonna try and see if I can get it open tonight.
  • Options
    This actually happened to me a couple of weeks back, I locked my main humidor because I didn't want any of my drunk friends getting my good sticks. I ended up bending the tine of a fork and unlocking it with that.
  • Options
    KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    Viseron:
    This actually happened to me a couple of weeks back, I locked my main humidor because I didn't want any of my drunk friends getting my good sticks. I ended up bending the tine of a fork and unlocking it with that.
    Damn moochers. I probably would have picked the lock anyway.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    This is why man invented the crowbar.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an extra key. If you need let me know I will take a pic of it to see if it will work for you. I just won't be able to mail it to you until next Friday.
  • Options
    I was able to get in....I had a bike lock key that was skeleton like I put it in and turn and the actual outside casing popped off the lock and she opened right up...not sure if I can put it back on but at least its open..thanks for suggestions and offers for keys!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Same here. I have three Southport large humis...all keys the same. What type humi do you have. If you still need one I can send you one to keep. PM me
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I'm glad you got it open. I lost me key just a few days ago and have been looking everywhere for it. Might have to try picking it if I don't find it soon.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I was worried about that when I got my main humi. The only problem is that it doesn't have a normal latch, the only way to close it is to lock it, otherwise it swings open...but i just leave the key in the lock like a handle. I live with my fiancee and my dog, so if any go missing I'll just shoot the beagle...I've seen him eyeing them...