Home Non Cigar Related

Educate me on telescopes (edited for Webmost lol)

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I have one that was gifted to me that is pretty decent! I enjoy it but want to get something really top notch! What exactly should I be looking for in a good telescope? dimensions, lenses, whatnots? I really want good clarity and big magnification options
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dang bro, been years since i looked through a telescope.
    had a nice little meade unit when i was younger, couldn't tell you what the magnification or any of the specs were on it though. what i do remember is that it was one of the first models to have a motorized/automatic star-finder --- that was pretty sweet.

wish i still had it, the in-laws are out in the country and would be perfect place to set it up

but all i can tell you is get as far away from light pollution as possible and find yourself a dark sky. can see some awesome stuff out there with even low-powered scopes. this is a great resource if you haven't seen it yet -- http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

and see if there's a local astronomy club nearby too, i know there's one here in central ohio i've checked them out online but never gotten into it. they might even let you test out some of their equipment and help steer you in the right direction before you plop down a wad of cash for a new scope.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    There are a ton of places with a hours drive from me where there is very little or no light pollution. The scope I have right now did great in the middle of the city... so im hoping it will be killer in the country.

As for the astronomy club... I know there is one major one in Portland but I haven't looked into it yet. I think I may do that on my lunch break. Thanks for reminding me about that! lol its not that often that I think about looking into them. I will also check out that link here shortly!
    the few things I do know is there are additional lenses to improve magnification and then the bigger the diameter the more light it lets in and better clarity... other than that... im lost. lol
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I know a bit about telescopes, having owned several higher-end models over the years.
    I think the things I'd ask are:
    What's your budget? $1,200-$1,500 can buy you a very good computerized all purpose scope, but there are lower-priced options with fewer bells and whistles.
    What do you primarily want to look at? (planets, the moon, stars, galaxies, nebula)
    Do you want to locate objects on your own or would you like the telescope to use a computer to locate them for you?
    Do you intend to use the telescope for photography?
    Does the size and weight of a telescope matter to you (i.e., can lift and transport a heavier scope?)
    Where do you intend to use it most often---your backyard, or traveling somewhere?

After you've answered those questions, I can give you some thoughts on the issue.
    raisindot:
    I know a bit about telescopes, having owned several higher-end models over the years.
    I think the things I'd ask are:
    What's your budget? $1,200-$1,500 can buy you a very good computerized all purpose scope, but there are lower-priced options with fewer bells and whistles.
    What do you primarily want to look at? (planets, the moon, stars, galaxies, nebula)
    Do you want to locate objects on your own or would you like the telescope to use a computer to locate them for you?
    Do you intend to use the telescope for photography?
    Does the size and weight of a telescope matter to you (i.e., can lift and transport a heavier scope?)
    Where do you intend to use it most often---your backyard, or traveling somewhere?

After you've answered those questions, I can give you some thoughts on the issue.

Soooooo this is where it gets interesting. lol im gonna answer your questions but leave the money one for last... lol
    I primarily want to view everything! I want to be able to view as deep and as far into space as I can. So something with vast versatility is preferred.
    I would love to have a computerized telescope that can locate things for me. BUT I want to use this as a learning tool so a telescope that will allow me to make manual adjustments and locating as well.
    I don't plan on using the telescope for photography. Would be neat but not a deal breaker.
    (combining the last 2) I would prefer something that is transportable. As long as it doesn't weigh 100lbs I can manage it easily. I would be using it primarily for traveling but would use it at home (if I can find a spot in my yard that has decent visibility)
    THE HARD PART! My budget... I don't know. If I plan on buying one I would have to come up with the funds myself... I would end up having to sell stuff to come up with the cash. I think $500 is a easily attainable goal but if I need to go higher Im sure I could scrape some stuff together to sell.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:

I presume you've tried to copy and paste the link in your browser address bar, right? I just did that and it works fine at my end.... ??
    LiquidChaos66:
    Soooooo this is where it gets interesting. lol im gonna answer your questions but leave the money one for last... lol
    I primarily want to view everything! I want to be able to view as deep and as far into space as I can. So something with vast versatility is preferred.
    I would love to have a computerized telescope that can locate things for me. BUT I want to use this as a learning tool so a telescope that will allow me to make manual adjustments and locating as well.
    I don't plan on using the telescope for photography. Would be neat but not a deal breaker.
    (combining the last 2) I would prefer something that is transportable. As long as it doesn't weigh 100lbs I can manage it easily. I would be using it primarily for traveling but would use it at home (if I can find a spot in my yard that has decent visibility)
    THE HARD PART! My budget... I don't know. If I plan on buying one I would have to come up with the funds myself... I would end up having to sell stuff to come up with the cash. I think $500 is a easily attainable goal but if I need to go higher Im sure I could scrape some stuff together to sell.

I would recommend looking at this link, which gives you a quick primer about the three main telescope categories.
    http://www.jtwastronomy.com/tutorials/telescope_primer.html

I would stay away from refractors because really good ones with large apertures are darned expensive. I've owned both reflectors and Schmidt Cassegrains. They're relatively inexpensive, but, as the article says, keeping the tube free of contamination is a bear. Use it in the spring and pollen can totally gum up everything.

I tend to favor Schmidt Cassegrains. An 8" model won't necessarily break the bank, and since its sealed you only have to worry about keeping the secondary glass (the one on the outside) clean. I also they think they offer the best Go-To (computerized) options. If I were getting a GOTO scope, I'd go for one that uses a fiork-type mount rather than an equatorial mount (the latter is the kind you see in the photos in the primar). Equatorial mounts are insanely heavy and I've found them incredibly difficult to calibrate and use.

If you decided you wanted an 8" GOTO SC, you could get a new Celestron Nextstar SE for $1200 or a Meade LX90 for around $1600. Both include mounts, 8" OTAs (the tube), and remote controls that have built-in databases of thousands of stars, planets, galaxies and nebulae. You don't have to use the computer--theyse can be controlled manually as well. While the quality of the "tubes" is comparable for both, the mount for the Meade is far more stable. If you look around, you can probably find used older models of an LX90 for under a thousand and the SE for between $600-$800. The main challenge with GOTO scopes is that for them to work correctly you have to first manually align them with two or more bright stars in the sky. You need to know where these stars are, so that means having seasonal star maps at your side. If you're in a light polluted area this can be a pain. Once aligned, you can choose the object you want to view and the scope will move until it "finds it." These scopes are generally never 100% accurate, so you do end up having to move it a bit yourself. But once it's centered in your viewer, the scope will track the object as it moves across the sky. This is particularly useful when viewing plants.

Generally, these telescope only come with one eyepiece. That means you have to spend more money to assemble eye pieces for different purposes. High magnification eyepieces (generally, 18mm or below) give you "larger" images of planets, but the higher the magnification the dimmer and fuzzier the image gets. A lower magnification eyepiece (generally 26mm and higher) are used for viewing larger expanses such as nebulae or star clusters. You can spend hundreds of dollars assembling a collection of quality eyepieces. Then you also need to have a dew filter (a plastic extension that attaches to the open end of the scope to keep dust and few from settling on the glass), and, if you have a powered scope, a 12V external power source (GOTOs can generally use batteries, but the batteries don't last long). One of those jump starter/tire filler things can work fine, as long as it has a built-in 12V outlet, which most do.

Before you buy, I'd definitely do some research and ask questions. Some good sites are:

http://irwincur.tripod.com/telescope_primer.htm

www.cloudynights.com

I also really recommend you seek out a local astronomy club. I have to imagine that with all the light-pollution-free areas in the Pacific NW there are plenty in your area. Usually they'll have viewing nights at least once a months where you can see various models owned by members so you can get a sense of what's available. Take the time to research. It's an expensive hobby, and one where making the wrong decision can drive all the enjoyment out of it.
    Great info! :) Ill look into those links today and do some reading and maybe pop back with more questions! Thanks!
    Definitely try to get out to a local club viewing when you can. Winter is actually the best season for viewing. Well, at least here in the northeast. Even though it's cold, on clear nights there's little humidity and haze, so you really get crystal clear views without the "jiggling" caused by moist air. Also, Saturn and Jupiter are usually viewable and high in the sky before midnight, and the Orion Nebula and other nebulae and star clusters are best viewed because they're above the horizon. If you can get to a higher elevation site that's far away from city lights and cloud cover your view of the sky should be spectacular.
    I gotta start doing research on visible space objects in the NW. I know The Andromeda Galaxy and quite a few twin stars are visible and Saturn in the summer if I remember right. Gotta start selling things too cause I NEED to get this hobby started! lol
    There really aren't objects that are "specifically" viewable (or unviewable) in the NW. The main distinction is between northern and southern hemisphere. Anything I can see in Boston you can see in Oregon. The main difference is the times when you see them. Fixed objects like stars will be in roughly the same area of the sky whether I look at them at 9:00 local time or you look at them 9:00 local time. The positions of planets may be a little different because a planet that "rises" at sunset at my local time will have moved a little bit in its own orbit during the three hours before you have your sunset. But the difference won't be all that much to the naked eye. When you use a manual scope, you can try to use standard star coordinates to locate objects (which you might to adjust for longitude and latitude), but for the most part people find objects by "star hopping," i.e., starting with a recognizable star in a constellation and moving the scope from there in the general direction of the object they're viewing. However, with GOTO scopes longitude and latitude are very important, which is why these scopes generally require you to choose your location (most main cities can be selected) or enter your lat/long manually. You then have to do the star alignment thing because that helps to provide a reference point for the scope to make accurate calculations of where these objects will be at any given point at night.
    So it may be some time before I can afford a new telescope... BUT that doesn't stop the learning and discovery. lol I still have my current telescope to take advantage of. Recommendations for star charts or any helpful tools for locating cool things in our night sky? I found a decently priced Planisphere that would work perfect for where I live. :) it works for 30N-50N latitude and im sitting about 45N so that should work fine. But what are your suggestions?
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Charts just confused me, but then I'm easily confused. Found a book like astronomy for dummies that just showed different night objects from different area's in the US. Also had the different seasons but winter is the best, cold and dark. Depending where you are as to what you can see, Jupiter is prominent here and easy to find. Spent loads of time just checking out the moon. But now they are computerized you say, damn. I had a 440x refractor, had a great time with it.
    LiquidChaos66:
    So it may be some time before I can afford a new telescope... BUT that doesn't stop the learning and discovery. lol I still have my current telescope to take advantage of. Recommendations for star charts or any helpful tools for locating cool things in our night sky? I found a decently priced Planisphere that would work perfect for where I live. :) it works for 30N-50N latitude and im sitting about 45N so that should work fine. But what are your suggestions?

I'd seek out Sky & Telescope, which is the pretty much the main astronomy magazine. Every month they include star charts for that month and highlight various planetary and deep space objects that will be visible. There are also some "permanent," large plastic star chart things (I have some at home, I'll try to see if I can find the cover). If you bring them with you to your site, view them using a flashlight with a red filer (or put a piece of red tissue paper over the lamp). It takes awhile--sometimes an hour or more--for your eyes to fully adjust to low light conditions, and you don't want bright lights near your eyes. You may also want to bring a pair of binoculars with you. They're good for helping you get a good orientation on the constellations and identify the location of starts or other objects you'll late "zoom in" on with the scope.

Other than the planets, the most impressive deep space object you can view this time of year is the Orion Nebula. Focus the scope around the middle of Orion's belt. A good quality scope should show you the cluster of stars surrounded by whisps of gas.
    raisindot:
    LiquidChaos66:

I'd seek out Sky & Telescope, which is the pretty much the main astronomy magazine. Every month they include star charts for that month and highlight various planetary and deep space objects that will be visible. There are also some "permanent," large plastic star chart things (I have some at home, I'll try to see if I can find the cover). If you bring them with you to your site, view them using a flashlight with a red filer (or put a piece of red tissue paper over the lamp). It takes awhile--sometimes an hour or more--for your eyes to fully adjust to low light conditions, and you don't want bright lights near your eyes. You may also want to bring a pair of binoculars with you. They're good for helping you get a good orientation on the constellations and identify the location of starts or other objects you'll late "zoom in" on with the scope.

Other than the planets, the most impressive deep space object you can view this time of year is the Orion Nebula. Focus the scope around the middle of Orion's belt. A good quality scope should show you the cluster of stars surrounded by whisps of gas.

I will check that magazine out! :) The only things I get in the mail are CCOM catalogs and bills. Might be fun to have something enjoyable in the mail. :) If its clear tonight ill try to track down the Orion Nebula. :)
    Skies are clear tonight. I have a little guide on how to find some nebulas and I think I just might be able to find a good cigar to go with it tonight. :)
    Fog. :(
    LiquidChaos66:
    Skies are clear tonight. I have a little guide on how to find some nebulas and I think I just might be able to find a good cigar to go with it tonight. :)

Honestly, much as I can see the attraction of smoking whilst viewing, I'd advise against it unless you're really, really careful. You absolutely don't want smoke anywhere near your scope or eyepiece lens. Also, the oils from the wrapper could get on eyepieces and other parts of the scope. You really want to create as sterile an environment as you can. And if you're running back and forth between a scope and a stogie you can't concentrate all that well on viewing. I'd suggest spend as much time as you want viewing, and then enjoy your smoke after the scope is all packed up and you can sit or stand there admiring your view of the heavens with the naked eye (there's a joke in there about heavenly bodies that I won't mention.)
    Very good points! Glad it was foggy last night then. :)
    If you have a clear night (we haven't had one here in weeks), make sure to go looking for Comet Lovejoy. It's the most "visible" comet in years, and is currently nearing its peak in terms of brightness and visibility. Do a search on how to find it but most say the best way is to focus your scope or binoculars on Orion's belt, move up and right to you locate Orion's "arrow," and the move slowly northwest/

We're scheduled for cloudy skies for the rest of the winter so I'm sure I'll miss it..... :(
    raisindot:
    If you have a clear night (we haven't had one here in weeks), make sure to go looking for Comet Lovejoy. It's the most "visible" comet in years, and is currently nearing its peak in terms of brightness and visibility. Do a search on how to find it but most say the best way is to focus your scope or binoculars on Orion's belt, move up and right to you locate Orion's "arrow," and the move slowly northwest/

We're scheduled for cloudy skies for the rest of the winter so I'm sure I'll miss it..... :(

Thanks for the info! I will see if we have clear skies any time soon and try to track it down! Is it visible to the naked eye? If so that might make it easier to locate
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, that's enough. If we're going to "eduacate" anyone on anything, first thing, we have to spell the word. Sometimes it's just the little things get under my skin.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Point the big end at the object you wish to view.
    webmost:
    Okay, that's enough. If we're going to "eduacate" anyone on anything, first thing, we have to spell the word. Sometimes it's just the little things get under my skin.

LMAO!!! I love this... it been purposefully misspelling words in the titles to my posts periodically. :) Im glad its getting to people. ;)
    LiquidChaos66:
    raisindot:

Thanks for the info! I will see if we have clear skies any time soon and try to track it down! Is it visible to the naked eye? If so that might make it easier to locate

Supposedly it will be visible to the naked eye if you're not in an overly light polluted area. Even a cheap pair of binoculars should give you enough of a view to locate it.
    We are set to have fog tonight and tomorrow... If not im gonna use my smaller spotter and try to track it down before trying with the big one I currently have