Home General Discussion
Options

I hate lighting with a torch

I absolutely hate lighting with a torch. So... Does anyone know any good soft-flame lighters? I'm thinking about picking up the Xikar EX: http://xikar.com/product_lighter_ex.asp
Has anyone had any experience with this lighter or does anyone want to chime in on another soft-flame lighter?

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I heartily agree with you buddy. I've been wanting a soft-flame lighter for a long time. I've never used the Xikar EX, but have thought about it myself (just no money to pull the trigger). A soft-flame lighter that I love is the IM Corona Double Corona, but at $150 it'll be even longer before I get thAt one lol. You could just go with a Bic dude...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd say go with a Bic or a cool variation that some gas stations would sell. (MAYBE A NASCAR ONE!!! vvvrrrrRRROOOOOM!)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Major, I have that lighter and love it. It has a massive gas tank and a very nice, steady flame. Check these links before you buy, might be able to get it a bit cheaper.

Chrome

Gunmetal
  • Options
    I have the Flintfire II and I love it, watch the auction sites to save some coin :)
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a little butane lighter and I love it. I used to use a torch and I like the torch, but I get tired of refilling the fluid.
  • Options

I got myself this sucker
    It works great has a punch,soft light and torch
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    jeff_connors:

I got myself this sucker

Wow! That looks like a hell of a deal. I just might jump on it.
  • Options
    only bad thing is its a pig on butane......I don't know if all lighters are hard on the fuel but i have been blowing though alot.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    My friend bought be a prometheous something or other that has a soft flame. I never use it though. It has a punch built in on the bottom. I prefer my torches.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    MAJORdorMo:
    I absolutely hate lighting with a torch. So... Does anyone know any good soft-flame lighters? I'm thinking about picking up the Xikar EX: http://xikar.com/product_lighter_ex.asp Has anyone had any experience with this lighter or does anyone want to chime in on another soft-flame lighter?
    I have had a EX for a couple years and highly recommend it. It alway lights with no problem. You get a better more even light with the soft flame and it uses less fuel.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind lighting with a torch, but i prefer something else to light with entirely....

I went camping one time and didn't have my lighter with me, but wanted a cigar real bad. So I took our camping tongs and grabbed a burned-down red-hot coal out of the campfire and lit my stick with it. AWESOME! It was without a doubt the most perfectly lit cigar i'd ever had.

There was no flame, just the heat from the coal. All I did was touch it right on the end, pulled on it ONCE, and in less than two seconds I had a perfect cherry on the end.

• Options
    I have used the inexpensive Djeep lighters sold at B & M's everywhere for years. They are like a nice Bic, and usually have a cigar logo on them. I currently have a Macanudo one, but have had many different ones. They are disposable and inexpensive.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I've been enjoying this one for a couple months now, no problems. I'll have a review on it very soon with two others I got with it. http://www.buylighters.com/Double-Flames-Slide-Lighter_p_693.html
  • Options
    kaelaria:
    I've been enjoying this one for a couple months now, no problems. I'll have a review on it very soon with two others I got with it. http://www.buylighters.com/Double-Flames-Slide-Lighter_p_693.html
    That's a cool lighter. For that price it seems like a no brainer.
  • Options
    jreed10209jreed10209 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    only bad thing is its a pig on butane......I don't know if all lighters are hard on the fuel but i have been blowing though alot.
    @jeff conners(.)(.) what's up with your bot reviews? i havent been able to read one in quite some time, is it my computer or are you having trouble?
  • Options
    TGOTGO Posts: 340 ✭✭
    I just bought a Nibo Space 6 triple torch lighter... I love it! Plus my perdomo thundra is a favorite. For smaller RG cigars a soft flame is OK IMO but for big RG and touch ups I really prefer a torch lighter... YMMV, it is a preference thang :)
  • Options
    TGO:
    I just bought a Nibo Space 6 triple torch lighter... I love it! Plus my perdomo thundra is a favorite. For smaller RG cigars a soft flame is OK IMO but for big RG and touch ups I really prefer a torch lighter... YMMV, it is a preference thang :)
    @ tgo<><>< you moved over here too?
  • Options
    how do you change your avatar here?
  • Options
    nevermind i found it, but thanks.
  • Options
    That Pimp (LOL) lighter on ebay looks like a good deal, I might grab one. Been lighting my cigars with matches lately, the torch for touch ups if I need to. Thanks for the info guys.
  • Options
    jreed10209:
    TGO:
    @ tgo<><>
    ~~~ Been here Bro, at least for a while :)
  • Options
    TGO:
    Dang Tim, I didn't think you'd ever need another lighter again, what with that afterburner you carry around. Did the Air Force find out you stole that from one of their F-15s yet? :)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    TGO:
    Dang Tim, I didn't think you'd ever need another lighter again, what with that afterburner you carry around. Did the Air Force find out you stole that from one of their F-15s yet? :)
    LOL Joe! Wait till you see this new one, every time I fire it up the rotation of the earth either slows down, or speeds up, depending on the direction it is pointing ;)
  • Options
    mustluvcigars:
    I have the Flintfire II and I love it, watch the auction sites to save some coin :)
    I have been eyeing this baby for a while now, it looks pretty nice.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:

I got myself this sucker
    that's a nice lighter. I really like my torch lighter, though refilling is a annoyance, but it's not that bad. but I really dig that lighter.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I normally use a butane soldering torch. It has an enormous adjustable flame and I can adjust it so I get a soft flame if I would like. It holds a lot of fluid to so I almost never have to worry about running out while I am using it.

It is huge, so it is really only good for when I enjoy a cigar at home. I still do need to get myself a good, small, lighter that I can use.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    phobicsquirrel:
    jeff_connors:

I got myself this sucker
    that's a nice lighter. I really like my torch lighter, though refilling is a annoyance, but it's not that bad. but I really dig that lighter.
    Here is a real value for all your lighting needs! http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Teal-butane-Candle-Lighters,-Flame-Low?-Book-a-Show!_W0QQitemZ160373493977QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20091029?IMSfp=TL091029182007r33450 I'm just saying save some coin if you aren't into being flashy at home!
  • Options
    jreed10209:
    jeff_connors:
    @jeff conners(.)(.) what's up with your bot reviews? i havent been able to read one in quite some time, is it my computer or are you having trouble?
    whats the trouble? PM what you are seeing i will try and fix