Home Non Cigar Related

Opportunity At My B&M

Over the past few weeks a lot has transpired at my local B&M ending in the opportunity for me to start working there part time. Myself and another guy would be the heart and soul of the company but all final decisions would go through the guy with the check book (The owner). To be honest this doesn't bother me, I am in the shop most evenings anyway and as far as I'm concerned the guy writing the check should be the person with the final call.

At first thought I loved the opportunity and hope to build a relationship with the owner, to become possible partners and one day down the road maybe full ownership. My worry is what appears to be a possible unstable future in the tobacco industry with all the possible regulations we may see. I am currently going to keep my full time job so if something was to go south I am still covered. My concern is the long term future, how do you see the future of the Tobacco industry and the Local Brick and Mortar shops? Will there still be a place for them?

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see all of the posts on Halfwheel about new regulations and smoking bans constantly being put in place. I always think in the back of my mind that it will be the downfall of the B&M shops. Of course, there are always ways around the legislature to stay a step ahead. Sounds like a great opportunity to get your feet wet and see what the business has to offer.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding smoke free environments...here in Wisconsin B&M stores that were existing when the smoking ban went into effect were allowed to get an exemption to still allow smoking in the stores. New stores though cannot allow it.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If I were you, I personally wouldn't stake my future on the B&M world. Not because of the regulations, but because of the Internet. I think most tobacco B&Ms are going to go the way of smaller bookstores, video stores and other special interest retailers that have been "extincted" by online retailers. Up here at least 90% of the tobacco stores and cigar bars have gone out of business in the past 10 years. To survive, B&Ms are going to have to diversify their product lines, much like C.com is now doing with its new food products.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    If I were you, I personally wouldn't stake my future on the B&M world. Not because of the regulations, but because of the Internet. I think most tobacco B&Ms are going to go the way of smaller bookstores, video stores and other special interest retailers that have been "extincted" by online retailers. Up here at least 90% of the tobacco stores and cigar bars have gone out of business in the past 10 years. To survive, B&Ms are going to have to diversify their product lines, much like C.com is now doing with its new food products.
    I guess looking at it, if he is starting out part time it can allow him to see more of how the business is doing and give him the opportunity to get out easily if need be or if things stay steady and supportive then you look at investing in the opportunity.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    You all have made good points. Thanks for replying.

At this time I just have to see where this takes me. I had a meeting with the guy last night that ended with me walking away with a key to the store. I ran a lot of ideas that I had for the place past him and he seemed very excited to bringing me on. The guy is old school Italian and has a huge heart. I feel really bad that he was taken advantage of and really want to help turn the place around. I considered the place as my personal Man Cave that everyone visited anyway. I just hope that since turning my hobby into a job it doesn't lose it's appeal.

If we can get past any smoking bans and other regulations that allow the place to remain profitable I have high hopes that things like Cigar Events and Sporting Events will keep the people coming into the shop. There are plenty of instances that there is a game on and we pack the house. Like you said, we may have to venture into other things to keep sales at the level needed.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Over the past few weeks a lot has transpired at my local B&M ending in the opportunity for me to start working there part time. Myself and another guy would be the heart and soul of the company but all final decisions would go through the guy with the check book (The owner). To be honest this doesn't bother me, I am in the shop most evenings anyway and as far as I'm concerned the guy writing the check should be the person with the final call.

At first thought I loved the opportunity and hope to build a relationship with the owner, to become possible partners and one day down the road maybe full ownership. My worry is what appears to be a possible unstable future in the tobacco industry with all the possible regulations we may see. I am currently going to keep my full time job so if something was to go south I am still covered. My concern is the long term future, how do you see the future of the Tobacco industry and the Local Brick and Mortar shops? Will there still be a place for them?
    I would do exactly what you are doing now. Nothing more than a fun part time job. I sure wouldn't put all my eggs in that one basket.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on landing that gig! :)

And while we're on the subject of new and evermore restrictive smoking bans,........What about private, member owned cigar clubs? Similar to a fraternal organization. Seems like that's an option we might see more of if these stronger restrictions eliminate any new public sites that would allow smoking.
    Bob Luken:

And while we're on the subject of new and evermore restrictive smoking bans,........What about private, member owned cigar clubs? Similar to a fraternal organization. Seems like that's an option we might see more of if these stronger restrictions eliminate any new public sites that would allow smoking.
    This might be an option, If nothing else there may be a private "Members Only" section that may have to be a separate Entity for example, next to the shop or in the basement.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Bob Luken:

This might be an option, If nothing else there may be a private "Members Only" section that may have to be a separate Entity for example, next to the shop or in the basement.
    Yep, exactly. This may become a way to get around new bans or bans on new establishments.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    curtiscr79:
    Bob Luken:

Yep, exactly. This may become a way to get around new bans or bans on new establishments.
    Members Only -- To become a member costs eight bucks, and your membership comes with one free cigar.

Say, Shelbyville KY is only a decent 650 mile motorcycle ride from Dull-Aware. May have to drop in some summer afternoon and see what you have going on.

enjoy

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    Bob Luken:
    curtiscr79:
    Bob Luken:

Members Only -- To become a member costs eight bucks, and your membership comes with one free cigar.

Say, Shelbyville KY is only a decent 650 mile motorcycle ride from Dull-Aware. May have to drop in some summer afternoon and see what you have going on.

enjoy

Bring it on, the Shop is in Simpsonville, KY exit 28 off I-64. Everyone is welcome to stop by. Right now it will either be Cash or myself running the joint, Gary may be in the shop from time to time but Cash and I will be the driving workforce. I have some plans for some CFW events in both the Summer and again in the Fall. The three of us are going to do the best we can to make this fun for both us and the customers.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Man, to answer your first question (which sounds like you´re already clear on, in any case), I think you´re doing the right thing by not quitting the full-time job. Truth is, even a successful small B&M probably isn´t going to pay what a decent full-time gig doing just about anything else would - it´s just retail work. With that said, don´t close your mind to the possibilities that come with working there! You are developing your connections and experience within the industry and there are MANY places that can take you, outside of the typical B&M atmosphere. As has been mentioned, perhaps private clubs become the new thing, and being in-the-know will make you perfectly poised for movement in this direction. There´s also work within hotels/resorts that offer cigars, cigar events, brand sales, etc... a lot of ways to follow your dreams man, and stay within an industry that you love. Best of luck to you bro!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Bring it on, the Shop is in Simpsonville, KY exit 28 off I-64.
    Once you get round Bawlmer, it's all scenic slab from there; up I-70, left on I-81 down the Shenendoah Valley, right on I-64 thru God's country. I bought a BMW R1200C sight unseen from a fellow west of Lexington, some little town I don't remember. Guy owed him money, was going to jail, signed the bike over, all he wanted was what the guy owed him; so I scored it for 2700. Rode it back to Dull-Aware in a day and sold it for 8 grand a week later. So I have been right past you a couple times. There's a tobacco farmer in Owingsville, this side of you, I have been to his place a couple three occasions. Great guy, and fascinating to see how he grows the stuff. But I take the scenic route to his place. All pretty country and a nice ride. Maybe a 12 hour trip, time you stop for gas and a stretch. Bearswatter and I swung out to Harrodsburg one weekend on the big beemer bagger to catch our first PBR bull riding event at the fairgrounds. First and only time I ever saw a beer dolly in a motel lobby. Dry county + cowboys riding bulls. How's that gonna work? You know damnwell if a cowboy mounts a half crazed 1700 pound animal and all he gets is a dislocated shoulder he is gonna celebrate with a beer, dry county or not. Staying at the same motel as us. They all came driving pickup trucks. Brought enough cases they needed a beer dolly.

So all I'm saying, each time I've been to KY has been a nice long ride well worth it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been talking with a buddy who opened a cigar lounge last year. He's in the process of selling it for a song. In my area, there are a good half dozen cigar shops. Some are just retail tobacco stores that sell cigarettes and lottery tickets and have walk-in humidors. The larger ones of this variety also have lounges where folks can sit and smoke. They seem to do good business, but I doubt that cigars are the main staple of their income. There's one full-on cigar bar that serves food and adult beverages. It's attached to an upscale restaurant and is more of a side business for the owner. Again, there's more revenue from the bar/restaurant than from the sticks. And then there are a few straight-up cigar lounges, like the one my buddy is selling, that just sell cigars and people can hang out and smoke. That last type is the hardest to make viable, since the only source of revenue is cigar sales. With competition from the interwebs, business relies on selling the cigar lifestyle, which means hosting lots of events and building a loyal clientele of people that like having a place to herf and also have the discretionary income to pay more for sticks than they would from internet sites.

Seems to me that supporting a business on cigars only would be a hard row to hoe, unless you were able to create a hang-out with sufficient buzz to keep the people coming...
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These same thoughts have kept me from jumping in with both feet. With so much uncertainty about what the future will bring because of the ongoing fight to strip our freedoms it is a huge leap of faith.
    webmost:
    curtiscr79:
    Bring it on, the Shop is in Simpsonville, KY exit 28 off I-64.
    Once you get round Bawlmer, it's all scenic slab from there; up I-70, left on I-81 down the Shenendoah Valley, right on I-64 thru God's country. I bought a BMW R1200C sight unseen from a fellow west of Lexington, some little town I don't remember. Guy owed him money, was going to jail, signed the bike over, all he wanted was what the guy owed him; so I scored it for 2700. Rode it back to Dull-Aware in a day and sold it for 8 grand a week later. So I have been right past you a couple times. There's a tobacco farmer in Owingsville, this side of you, I have been to his place a couple three occasions. Great guy, and fascinating to see how he grows the stuff. But I take the scenic route to his place. All pretty country and a nice ride. Maybe a 12 hour trip, time you stop for gas and a stretch. Bearswatter and I swung out to Harrodsburg one weekend on the big beemer bagger to catch our first PBR bull riding event at the fairgrounds. First and only time I ever saw a beer dolly in a motel lobby. Dry county + cowboys riding bulls. How's that gonna work? You know damnwell if a cowboy mounts a half crazed 1700 pound animal and all he gets is a dislocated shoulder he is gonna celebrate with a beer, dry county or not. Staying at the same motel as us. They all came driving pickup trucks. Brought enough cases they needed a beer dolly.

So all I'm saying, each time I've been to KY has been a nice long ride well worth it.

Awesome, just give me a heads up on when you are coming and I will make sure I am in the shop, working or not. There are a lot of nice scenic back roads to take, that I know.
    Puff_Dougie:
    Been talking with a buddy who opened a cigar lounge last year. He's in the process of selling it for a song. In my area, there are a good half dozen cigar shops. Some are just retail tobacco stores that sell cigarettes and lottery tickets and have walk-in humidors. The larger ones of this variety also have lounges where folks can sit and smoke. They seem to do good business, but I doubt that cigars are the main staple of their income. There's one full-on cigar bar that serves food and adult beverages. It's attached to an upscale restaurant and is more of a side business for the owner. Again, there's more revenue from the bar/restaurant than from the sticks. And then there are a few straight-up cigar lounges, like the one my buddy is selling, that just sell cigars and people can hang out and smoke. That last type is the hardest to make viable, since the only source of revenue is cigar sales. With competition from the interwebs, business relies on selling the cigar lifestyle, which means hosting lots of events and building a loyal clientele of people that like having a place to herf and also have the discretionary income to pay more for sticks than they would from internet sites.

Seems to me that supporting a business on cigars only would be a hard row to hoe, unless you were able to create a hang-out with sufficient buzz to keep the people coming...
    Talking with the owner over the past few nights while working we are going to at the very least look into an extensive line of accessories. Everyone Cigar related for now, maybe bring on some pipes and accessories also. Right now we are focusing on restocking the humidor and bringing on new lines. We are trying to engage the customer base to see what they are looking so we know what we can sell. Some things that should sell just don't in this shop. For example, Viaje, the stuff sells out before some shops even get it. That isn't the case here, we are more than likely going to drop the line because the stuff keeps coming before what we have can sell.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Talking with the owner over the past few nights while working we are going to at the very least look into an extensive line of accessories. Everyone Cigar related for now, maybe bring on some pipes and accessories also. Right now we are focusing on restocking the humidor and bringing on new lines. We are trying to engage the customer base to see what they are looking so we know what we can sell. Some things that should sell just don't in this shop. For example, Viaje, the stuff sells out before some shops even get it. That isn't the case here, we are more than likely going to drop the line because the stuff keeps coming before what we have can sell.

There are always ways you can try to generate interest in a brand that should be selling but isn't. You could create low-cost shelf-cards that give CA or other ratings for the brand (if they're highly rated). You could discount them for a short time, or toss a couple in with every box purchase of another brand. It just might be there's not a lot of awareness of Viaje in your area (I mean, I've never smoked one myself and it wouldn't be the first brand I'd look for, either online or at an B&M). Or if the store has a FB page or email list promote it that way. Or ask Viaje themselves to give you free promotional materials.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:

same thing with one of the B&Ms that i go to. They had a crap ton of Viaje that just sat there forever and then was overhumidified and got a little bit of mold on them and they have had to discount them by 25-50% to get rid of them, but another shop can't get them because viaje won't authorize them because they are close to them as the crow flies, but not really that close in the communities they provide their stuff to.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:

Totally agree Doug. If I were to open a shop, I would really cater to the customers to get a following of people that enjoy coming to hang out. Events, specials, cigar clubs, tastings, etc. Get a good group of guys that stop after work or come every Thursday to herf and watch a game. They will be your bread and butter who you can get into new cigars and will bring friends. I don't think you can compete with the online shoppers, but they will come to your shop and drop some cash if they enjoy herfing there and get away from the wife for a couple hours.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you Curtis. Is this at Executive?
    Of course if they succeed in banning online sales I would imagine it would be a huge boom for B&M's.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:

same thing with one of the B&Ms that i go to. They had a crap ton of Viaje that just sat there forever and then was overhumidified and got a little bit of mold on them and they have had to discount them by 25-50% to get rid of them, but another shop can't get them because viaje won't authorize them because they are close to them as the crow flies, but not really that close in the communities they provide their stuff to.
    The shop I went to in WV dropped viaje for a similar reason. Couldn't sell em at full price. I always could find a few viaje's marked down to half off. I like to go to B&M's in order to maybe grab a boutique or two to try out, but it seems like that kind of product can only survive in certain stores.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    brianetz1:
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:

The shop I went to in WV dropped viaje for a similar reason. Couldn't sell em at full price. I always could find a few viaje's marked down to half off. I like to go to B&M's in order to maybe grab a boutique or two to try out, but it seems like that kind of product can only survive in certain stores.
    you mention "surviving in certain stores".....we have a B&M that is the one i go to frequently and it is almost all boutique type store. they have 1 humidor of the name brand stuff, but tatuaje is the most name brand they get in their walkin. It works for them because they treat it like craft beer sales. They have done tons of events marketed at the guys who drink nothing but craft beers, wine connoisseurs, craft spirits, and foodies. it has been really successful for them because those type of people tend to ant to try the new thing regardless of it is some crazy infusion of Thai and Scandinavian food, the hotest craft beer, or the latest LE from crowned heads. They have tried to get Viaje for over a year, but viaje won't give them a second look.
    Rhamlin:
    Good luck to you Curtis. Is this at Executive?
    That's the one. We are going to push to continue to have events and grow the business.
    It's a nice shop hope to get a chance to stop in again sometime.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Gray4lines:
    brianetz1:
    curtiscr79:
    Puff_Dougie:

you mention "surviving in certain stores".....we have a B&M that is the one i go to frequently and it is almost all boutique type store. they have 1 humidor of the name brand stuff, but tatuaje is the most name brand they get in their walkin. It works for them because they treat it like craft beer sales. They have done tons of events marketed at the guys who drink nothing but craft beers, wine connoisseurs, craft spirits, and foodies. it has been really successful for them because those type of people tend to ant to try the new thing regardless of it is some crazy infusion of Thai and Scandinavian food, the hotest craft beer, or the latest LE from crowned heads. They have tried to get Viaje for over a year, but viaje won't give them a second look.
    That sounds like the way to do it. Market, big time! That's crazy that they can't get an account... mayne when everyone else drops viaje
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America