Home Non Cigar Related

Official Ginger beer thread

mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
So there are a lot of people that are making their own ginger beer. Was wondering if any of our SOTL's here had tried it. What recipes do you use, and do you drink it plain or do you mix your favorite alcoholic beverage. Personally, when I have a mid level bourbon or whiskey, I love it mixed with homemade ginger beer and a lime. Commonly known as a Kentucky Mule. Any other versions out there? I know that there are a lot of different "mules."(Not sure how they got that name)

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    When I saw this topic I thought it was going to be about the Ginger Beer Trick. Nevermind.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Never had a ginger beer, but I love whiskey and ginger ale, so this might be something I gotta try.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall seeing some documentary recently that Ginger Beer was huge back in Victoria Wngland and only declined due to a tax placed on it for anything over 6% ABV or something like that so they cut and lowered it and that's how ginger ale as we know it today got its start. Haven't done much ginger beer but I've liked what I've tried. Just wouldn't be able to drink it regularly I don't think.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not tried homemade, but I bought a bottle of Goya? and made some Moscow Mules over the summer with vodka, ginger beer and lime. Really good summer drink. Maybe I was thinking of ginger ale, but this stuff is really potent for a non-alcoholic drink. Will have to try it with bourbon
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I've had a Dark and Stormy (or several) and its a great drink during the summer.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    man what a let down.....i thought this thread was going to be about this:

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    man what a let down.....i thought this thread was going to be about this:

Boy that's a wonderful image to wake up to this morning :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be talking about my Boy Andy Dalton like that.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Well, my brother-in-law is actually thinking about producing some of this. I will let you all know. In the meantime, try to grab a bottle if youre ever at a health food store, fresh market, etc.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Oh and fyi, ginger beer is alcohol free. It is basically ginger extract, sometimes carbonated, sometimes not, but I've actually had it before where it contained pulp. Very spicy!