Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Teach Me How To Make A Manhattan

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sherm brought up mother Classic drink that is a drink that I've always wanted to make but never have known. This way there's no thread jacking even though I certainly deserve it with my head jacking history :P thanks for bringing up the idea Sherm and would love to hear your thoughts as well as many others!
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 1 part sweet vermouth, 2 parts bourbon (or brandy, if you prefer), a dash or two of angustora bitters and garnish with a stemmed maraschino cherry. My secret ingredient that the ladies love is to add a dash or two of the maraschino juice. Enjoy..... ??

I forgot to say to shake it, don't stir it....
  • Options
    Awesome sounds good thanks Marty! Is there any specific type or brand of vermouth you like? I know Sherman was referring over to that in the Old Fashioned thread.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Just so long as it's a sweet vermouth - not dry vermouth. Dry vermouth, in very small amounts, is for martinis.

And don't EVEN get me started on a conversation about martinis. As an old-time bartender, what has happened to martinis is just unacceptable. I avoided your thread regarding old fashioneds for the same reason. ??
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Ahh, the Manhattan, brings back memories. My grandfathers drink of choice. I use a rye whisky and martini & Rossi sweet vermouth. Same mix as jl said.
  • Options
    amz1301:
    Ahh, the Manhattan, brings back memories. My grandfathers drink of choice. I use a rye whisky and martini & Rossi sweet vermouth. Same mix as jl said.

That sounds like a good choice of ingredients to me. The ladies used to like brandy manhattans 'cause they're milder - brandy's usually only about 80 proof....
  • Options
    Well now to add sweet Vermouth to the list lol, should have a nice little bar setup by the time this is all said and done lol
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Well now to add sweet Vermouth to the list lol, should have a nice little bar setup by the time this is all said and done lol

Hoping to be right there with you someday too. It was nice sipping some Bourbon with my Cigar the other night. I felt all grown up and stuff lmao.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love a good Manhattan. Bourbon, Rye, or even Irish are all great.
    Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth is the standard mixing version and very good as well. I don't think vermouth is that popular in the US, but check your liquor store and see if there are any other brands. I Just ran out and can't think of the name, but I found one from Spain that was Really good (Have to pick up another bottle and tell you the name).
    Same thing with bitters. You can buy the standard Angostura for $5 or you can buy some of the small batch type for $50. Woodford Reserve does have a Cherry Bitters out that sounds great in a Manhattan.
    Start with the staples. Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters, and some maraschino cherry. Then experiment
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Just so long as it's a sweet vermouth - not dry vermouth. Dry vermouth, in very small amounts, is for martinis.

And don't EVEN get me started on a conversation about martinis. As an old-time bartender, what has happened to martinis is just unacceptable. I avoided your thread regarding old fashioneds for the same reason. ??
    Marty, can I trouble you for a PM of your old fashioned recipe if you don't want to post it? I'd really like to try a more traditional version, and I'd trust your recipe completely.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth is the standard mixing version and very good as well. I don't think vermouth is that popular in the US, but check your liquor store and see if there are any other brands. I Just ran out and can't think of the name, but I found one from Spain that was Really good (Have to pick up another bottle and tell you the name).
    Same thing with bitters. You can buy the standard Angostura for $5 or you can buy some of the small batch type for $50. Woodford Reserve does have a Cherry Bitters out that sounds great in a Manhattan.
    Start with the staples. Martini and Rossi sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters, and some maraschino cherry. Then experiment
    I always use the woodford cherry bitters in a manhattan. Mmmm. Sweet vermouth can usually be found, but not many varieties. I really have no clue how they compare either. All I could locate was Dolin, so I used that. Remember that vermouth is basically wine, so keep in the fridge or use quickly. I wish they made smaller bottles for as often as I make manhattans... I use 2:1 rye or bourbon to vermouth, couple dashes of bitters. I usually skip the cherry cause I don't keep em around. I usually stir, but may try a shake too after marty's recommendation.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    jlmarta:

Marty, can I trouble you for a PM of your old fashioned recipe if you don't want to post it? I'd really like to try a more traditional version, and I'd trust your recipe completely.

You bet, Ken. Check your inbox..... ??
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always do what the Dutch did in the 1600's. Work a trade for one $20 worth of beads.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    Great info Sherm, thanks man and thanks for the thread idea too!
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    I always use the woodford cherry bitters in a manhattan. Mmmm. Sweet vermouth can usually be found, but not many varieties. I really have no clue how they compare either. All I could locate was Dolin, so I used that. Remember that vermouth is basically wine, so keep in the fridge or use quickly. I wish they made smaller bottles for as often as I make manhattans... I use 2:1 rye or bourbon to vermouth, couple dashes of bitters. I usually skip the cherry cause I don't keep em around. I usually stir, but may try a shake too after marty's recommendation.
    I picked up a second bitters last night in addition to some sugar cubes, grabbed the Angostura one and now I can compare those and the Peychauds and see what I like. I bet those Woodford Cherry bitters would be terrific in both the Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. I need to clear up some commitments first but I'd be curious about try the Woodford Bitters so maybe in a few months we could setup a trade or something if you're up for it.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    I picked up a second bitters last night in addition to some sugar cubes, grabbed the Angostura one and now I can compare those and the Peychauds and see what I like. I bet those Woodford Cherry bitters would be terrific in both the Manhattans and Old Fashioneds. I need to clear up some commitments first but I'd be curious about try the Woodford Bitters so maybe in a few months we could setup a trade or something if you're up for it.
    Anytime, Brett. Just let me know
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Gray4lines:
    rsherman24:
    Anytime, Brett. Just let me know
    Thanks Gray :)
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is right on here. Except I stir--but that's preference. Do not by cheap sweet vermouth. Seek our Punt de mes or something similar. And good bourbon that is not too sweet.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'll pipe in on this discussion as well. When choosing your Whiskey, remember, wheat makes it sweet, rye makes it dry. A Rye Manhattan will be dry and peppery when compared to a Bourbon Manhattan and one made with a Rye mash (most Bourbon) will be drier than a Wheated Mash (Maker's, Larceny, Weller, etc).

My next BIG tip is Vermouth. Your Vermouth will make or break a drink. Martini and Rossi, while a bar staple around America (mostly because of price) smells and tastes like pizza sauce. Spend the extra money and reach for Carpano Antica or Dolin. You'll thank me. Martini sells mini bottles. Buy one and do the comparison. Just Vermouth with a lemon twist and splash of soda. Tell me which one you'd rather drink. Also, remember that Vermouth is made from a wine base. Keep it in the fridge and toss it when it gets old (2-3 months in the fridge). No sense in wasting good Bourbon on bad Vermouth.

As for the Recipe:

2oz Bourbon or Rye
    1oz Sweet Vermouth
    2-3 dashes Angostura Bitters

Build the drink in your mixing glass while chilling a martini glass. Add 4-5 medium/large ice cubes and stir (20-30 seconds). Why stir? It's a clear drink and we want to keep it clear. If you'd added lemon juice, you would shake. Place one Maraschino Cherry into the chilled Martini glass and strain your Manhattan into the glass. This is such a simple but classic drink. The ratios are often debated (2oz vs 3oz Whiskey, Sweet Vermouth vs 1/2 and 1/2 Sweet and Dry, Bitters or not, Cherry Juice or not) but what will make the biggest difference is the quality of ingredients. Even down to the ice and technique. Use a good Bourbon (not your top shelf, rare, pricey, sipping Bourbon but not swill), quality Vermouth, clean ice (make with spring or purified water) and play around with stir times to find the drink that best suits your pallet.

Have fun with it.