Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Inflate-gate?

13»

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Kraft...can't refute speculation. How bad can they be punished with so little hard evidence?
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Thoughts?

"NEW YORK – An NFL investigation released Wednesday said that New England Patriots employees likely deflated footballs used in the AFC Championship and that quarterback Tom Brady was probably "at least generally aware" of the rules violations."

It looksike the ground work to shovel it under the table is in place. And lets face it, unless the NFL does something, who cares.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The important thing to remember from last season is that Seattle thought they were gonna win the super bowl but, then they lost and Richard Sherman obviously suffered. Best super bowl ever.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He needs to be suspended one game.

They play the Steelers opening night. After that, I really don't care
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    He needs to be suspended one game.

They play the Steelers opening night. After that, I really don't care
    If there's a suspension, I hope it's not more than five games, because game six is against the Colts. Would hate to beat the Pats without Brady if it comes to that.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our auditor at work told me a story. When he was a little league coach they had no good pitchers, so other teams were bombing them. He got a bright idea and froze the game balls one day, thinking they wouldn't fly so far. Apparently it worked. Except the balls were getting squished out of round. So the ump got suspicious. Turns out there's a rule against freezing your balls.

hmm... Think I'll write a letter to Dangerous Catch to let them know about that rule.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Our auditor at work told me a story. When he was a little league coach they had no good pitchers, so other teams were bombing them. He got a bright idea and froze the game balls one day, thinking they wouldn't fly so far. Apparently it worked. Except the balls were getting squished out of round. So the ump got suspicious. Turns out there's a rule against freezing your balls.

hmm... Think I'll write a letter to Dangerous Catch to let them know about that rule.

I know I hate it when my balls are freezing! But sweaty is just as bad if not worse.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Announcement Expected Next Week

NY Daily News

Tom Brady will be the highest-profile player ever suspended in the 96-year history of the NFL.

Roger Goodell’s decision is expected to be announced next week, and it is no longer a matter of if the NFL commissioner will suspend Brady, but for how long he will suspend him.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patriots got their Super Bowl rings today.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    Patriots got their Super Bowl rings today.
    That's funny right there.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Well, that punishment has nothing to do with the drama created by the first game back for Brady being against the Colts, now, does it?

This was more about competition than player safety, but I see some parallels to bountygate, so I'm kind of surprised Hoodie didn't get a punishment as well, like Sean P. did. 

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Pats had any support for their side, they just blew it by saying the equipment man who labeled himslef the "Deflator" used that name because he was trying to lose weight.  They would have been better off ignoring that comment than trying to come with that lame excuse.

That being said, and I have no question in my mind that Brady was in on it, the "crime" itself would warrant maybe a $25,000 fine, not what the NFL delat out.  How is it any different than the Neikro brothers using vaseline on the baseballs and scuffing them up.  The are in the Hall of Fame.

If you judge what happend with the deflated footballs in that game using the "Totality of Circumstances" idea, Brady would have beaten them throwing a volley ball!

Yes he was cheating, but it was not to the extent, or influence on the game, that Bonds, A-Rod, Clemens and the others had.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    If the Pats had any support for their side, they just blew it by saying the equipment man who labeled himslef the "Deflator" used that name because he was trying to lose weight.  They would have been better off ignoring that comment than trying to come with that lame excuse.
    LIke most New Englanders, I felt there was more evidence supporting the theory of aliens landing in Roswell than there is of actual tampering of footballs in the Wells Report. But the sheer stupidity and chicanry of the Pats' response to this just wiped away any credibility that might have had. They should have just STFU for now and then brought up their rebuttals quietly in Brady's appeal.  
  • Options
    I don't think the standard of evidence has to be very high, here.  This isn't a criminal case.  But the indications of extent of this activity over a period of time make me reject any rebuttal that focuses solely on the AFC Championship game.  No one, and I mean no one within the Colts organization or Indianapolis thinks that Indy would have one that game.  Some do thing Baltimore could have won the week before, but who's to say?  The point is that there appears to be a lot of rotten in the state of the Patriots organization.

If they are so innocent, why are these two equipment guys not still active employees?  Hire them back right now in order to protest the unfair accusations against them, not just the big paycheck guys.

And the whole, "Colt's are guilty, too," argument seems petty as well.  The Pats conveniently left out part of the rule concerning the testing of the AFCC Game Balls concerning the officials being the only ones allowed to test balls "presented for play."  That ball was out of play when the Colts tested it.  Any other accusations should be investigated and punishment handled by the league.  I've never liked the "everyone does it" defense, and less so when it seems to be a snide and vengeful reply because you got caught.