Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My Tobacco Cessation Journal - Day 2

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
Tomorrow is the day. It's for sure lame, because goals we set that start soon rather then now seem more attainable imo. "Next week I'll start working out again." It gives you the feeling of progress and achievement without doing a darn thing.I figure with me being on "vacation" it's the best time. Cigarettes are too ingrained in my daily routine, and the only thing more military then cigarettes is cursing. I've "quit" a few times, but I liken it to being an alcoholic, you're always on the wagon. You hear about people who quit for ten years, something happens and they go buy a pack. Well I'm putting my best foot forward...tomorrow. When I've recently quit, cigars helped a lot....and hurt a bit. It helps with the initial cravings, but also prolongs the weaker ones (again, imo.)So, after a day or two I'm dropping cigars as well for about a week, or two if I can manage.I'll update this as I undertake my journey through cravings hell...wish me luck.

Comments

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it going to be tough! I'm sure you can overcome it good luck!!!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, man! I never smoked cigarettes (too many relatives died of lung cancer because of smoking), but my wife did, and making her quit was one of the conditions I imposed for getting married. She hasn't smoked in 23 years (at least to my knowledge) but says whenever she smells cigarette smoke she's tempted to light up. That's the main reason why I keep my cigar smoking hidden from her. If she saw me with a stogie (I only smoke 1 or 2 a week), she might demand that she be able to smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a week. And I don't believe she would be able to limit herself to this much, given the addictive nature of cigarettes.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    Good luck, man! I never smoked cigarettes (too many relatives died of lung cancer because of smoking), but my wife did, and making her quit was one of the conditions I imposed for getting married. She hasn't smoked in 23 years (at least to my knowledge) but says whenever she smells cigarette smoke she's tempted to light up. That's the main reason why I keep my cigar smoking hidden from her. If she saw me with a stogie (I only smoke 1 or 2 a week), she might demand that she be able to smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a week. And I don't believe she would be able to limit herself to this much, given the addictive nature of cigarettes.
    You got that right. Every time I've gone back to cigarettes, I always thought: "Well, I can smoke just one or two, here and there, like I can with cigars." And, every time, I've been wrong. Rain's right, cigarettes build themselves into your life. Before you know it, you're smoking a pack a day, or more. Nasty! The last time I gave them up, I had to quit all tobacco for awhile. Very powerful addiction. Good luck, Randy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    We're here for ya bro. You can do it!
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    In the interest of helping, I'll gladly hold on to your stash for you in the meantime. Seriously though, good luck. That's one of the hardest things I ever did. Desert Shield/Storm guard duty got me started and I quit for realz until MLK Jr. day 2005. This week marks 10 years for me. The craving is still there. I always would like to have a cigarette. Getting that pack of marlboro reds. Packing them good. Tearing off that foil. Smelling them and thinking how much they smell like raisins. I quit a couple times before then as well but fell into that "I can just smoke one" routine. I still get tempted today.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do it Randy!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Randy.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Randy. I quit when I was a teenager and only had been smoking for a few years at that point. I'm sure it's not gping to be easy, but it'll be worth it.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Randy. I quit chewing cold turkey eleven years ago. I have never had one relapse, and I'm pretty proud of that. I know chew and cigarettes are apples and oranges, but you have to really want to quit. I made up my mind I was going to quit, and I did it.
    Stupid question: As a cigar smoker, wouldn't it be easier to quit smoking cigarettes? Something to look forward to as a reward at the end of the day. Also, cigars taste good and cigarettes taste like ****...
  • Options
    Kind of...but cigars have ton more nicotine than cigarettes, so it prolongs the cravings. I think, anyways.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, I would tell you how I quit cigarettes after 45 years all at once. But you would just troll the post. Shame really, it worked so well and it was easy.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    I quit cigarettes after 45 years all at once. Shame really, it worked so well and it was easy.
    So...you're awesome?
  • Options
    Rain:
    jd50ae:
    I quit cigarettes after 45 years all at once. Shame really, it worked so well and it was easy.
    So...you're awesome?

Like I said, and you left out, "you would just troll the post".
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    TOW nominee
  • Options
    Rain:
    pelirrojo:
    TOW nominee
    And of course dickowitz sensing company found the gonads to pile on.
  • Options
    Wish I warranted a nickname.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never looked at cigars as a replacement. Mentally, I would look forward to smoking a cigar at night to get through the cravings, but was not the same. Figure out what your worst craving points are and find something to avoid it. Drink your morning coffee where you can't smoke or go for a walk after dinner. I think the cigs become more of a habit than an addiction after a while. Been 2 years and I still crave a Marlboro Red after a good dinner.

You got this
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    I never looked at cigars as a replacement. Mentally, I would look forward to smoking a cigar at night to get through the cravings, but was not the same. Figure out what your worst craving points are and find something to avoid it. Drink your morning coffee where you can't smoke or go for a walk after dinner. I think the cigs become more of a habit than an addiction after a while. Been 2 years and I still crave a Marlboro Red after a good dinner.

You got this

I never actually intended to give up cigarettes. It just happened. The first stash of cigars, if you can call it that, came from a service station humidor. It included a lot of small cigars. And the first purchase I made from CCom also included small stuff. So, every time I wanted a cigarette, I reached for a small cigar. After awhile I got busy with samplers and the graciously sent bombs. About about 6 or 7 month's into this and not realizing I had not reached for a cigarette in months, I opened a pack and lit it. To say it was disgusting is an understatement. Gave away over 2 cartons and I have not looked back.

I could not imagine my morning cup with out a good smooth and creamy cigar to go along with it. Don't know which enhances which......so as long as I am able, I will have both.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, buddy! Hope you can kick cigarettes and get back to enjoying an occasional cigar. I never smoked cigarettes, but I can see cigars maybe not helping... hope you can kick it!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Dont know if you're interested but, have you tried Chantix? It worked for me. I did have to cut out all alcoholic beverages for the two months I was on it. Drinking and smoking seem to go hand in hand. I didn't smoke any cigars during that period either. If you can make it through those first 2-3 months without smoking and break the habits / routines is the key. Grab a variety of hard candy and some gum. Cigars and cigarettes are definitely two different things. I've gone months without having a cigar. I could have never done that with cigarettes when I was smoking. Good luck.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Troll Master(new nickname for ya). I too need to quit. Just need to make up my mind and do it. Be my strength and get it done so I can look to you for inspiration!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Wrong forum. This is cigar related.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you figure out you don't want to smoke more than you want to smoke you will be ok. I got some nicotine gum from the VA that I use for back up every now and then. Right now it's two cigars a day for me and no more. One cigar a day is my goal. Don't smoke in your new house.Good luck and tough it out.
  • Options
    Cravings so are not too bad. Been here before though, after breakfast and lunch the suck will be real. About to take my daughter to the bus stop and then have some Baldur's Gate to play.image
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    How about Jasmine?

Stick with it man, I know you can do it! Just think your cigars will taste a whole lot better. for me I think that the physiological aspect was harder to get over than the actual nicotine addition, at least once I got over the withdraw, I ended up cutting a drinking straw to about cigarette length and holding/chewing on that for a while to keep my hand busy. Going on 2 yrs. now,
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do it Randy, if some big mouthed snot nosed punk like me can do it (just passed one month woohoo!) then I know you can too bro, have all the faith in the world in you buddy! The two things that helped me were whenever I was having a bad craving I would go play with my son as a reminder for why I was doing it. And two, stay busy as you can doing something that won't allow you to smoke. I gave it up cold turkey and those two things made the difference. You got this bro I know you do!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Daddy Irish, were you still smoking cigars while trying to quit?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Ex-Menthol-Man or FTM!
  • Options
    Rain:

You have a bunch actually, the software bleeps them.