Home General Discussion
Options

Club v. Daily Deal.

I jumped into the cigar world this summer when my father gave me an H. Uppman that I really enjoyed.  After I sold a car in June, I had a little extra money so I joined the Cigar of the Month Club for a year figuring that it would be a great way to sample a lot of different cigars.  It has been wonderful.  Then I discovered the daily deal and I seem to have developed a $100/mo. plus cigar habit in daily deals alone.  So my question is this:  has anyone made the decision to either pick the club or the daily deal to the exclusion of the other?  Does anyone have a cigar budget?  This hobby has really been engrossing and I'm smoking about 5 sticks a week.  I'm trying to get a handle on the costs though because if I don't, I'm going to have to build a walk-in humidor.

Comments

• Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Welcome to the club bro. My advice is buy beads in bulk and learn where the bins and coolers are at Wally World.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I usually put myself on a $25-$30 a month budget, because if I don't I will run out of space in my humidors pretty quick. I am not a member of the COTMC, but think it would be a good investment for someone who is just starting out. I kinda think of the DDs as more of a luck thing. I might buy one or 2 a month if they do a deal on cigars I really enjoy or have been wanting to try. Since you're just starting out, I would just rely on the COTMC for now, you will get plenty of variety.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I am still relatively new to hand made cigars, maybe the past year or so, I've been doing samplers and the DD. I have been hinting about the COTMC for a Christmas present. I think it would be great to be surprised each month with new cigars.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I use the club to try new things, and the daily deal to stock up on sticks I already know I like. That being said I just broke my rule and bought a 5 pack of Diesels. When I don't break the rule it works great for me, and when I do I usually regret it.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    My thoughts, almost the same... lol http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/85579.aspx
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The club is great for those that want to try sticks that they otherwise would not try, or that want notes on a cigar and try to develop a sense/taste for what you like.

Daily deals are for those that know exactly what they want and purchase it whence it comes along
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Lasabar:
    The club is great for those that want to try sticks that they otherwise would not try, or that want notes on a cigar and try to develop a sense/taste for what you like.

Daily deals are for those that know exactly what they want and purchase it whence it comes along
    Lassie, you only left out one part... but a very important one. Club members get 10% off ALL orders with C.COM. That adds up.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Lasabar:

Lassie, you only left out one part... but a very important one. Club members get 10% off ALL orders with C.COM. That adds up.
    10% off, free shipping on DD w/ 2 or more..........
    Be a member, watch the deals,,stock up.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It would be interesting to be in the CoTMC, but I don't see myself doing that. I am relatively picky about my cigars, but I'm sure I would get some very interesting stuff, though. The daily deals have been right along my favorites lately, and it's killing my bank account. That, along with a personal cigar consultant (Jeff, you jerk!) who loves me and gives me huge discounts with every order that isn't a daily deal, I'm screwed. Anyone who doesn't call their orders in is missing out.
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    TatuajeVI:
    It would be interesting to be in the CoTMC, but I don't see myself doing that. I am relatively picky about my cigars, but I'm sure I would get some very interesting stuff, though. The daily deals have been right along my favorites lately, and it's killing my bank account. That, along with a personal cigar consultant (Jeff, you jerk!) who loves me and gives me huge discounts with every order that isn't a daily deal, I'm screwed. Anyone who doesn't call their orders in is missing out.

I had no idea there was a benefit to calling in. I'll have to remember that!!