Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wi-Fi? Why Not?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do any if you brothers or sisters have any first-hand knowledge or experience with wi-fi routers and signal boosters for your home network?

I've finally gotten tired of occasionally losing my wi-fi signal when I'm in my garage with a stogie and my router is at the other end of the house. When I lose my signal and am forced to use 3G, I first get a pop-up box offering me the option of logging on to various other wi-fi networks - presumably of other folks living nearby. I'm wondering if one or more of those networks is 'drowning out' my signal (if that's even possible).

I'm told I can buy a signal booster to extend the range of my router but I know absolutely zilch about that topic. Any info or advice will be appreciated.... Thanks, Y'all....

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Diamond wr300nsi. It's a basic wifi booster that I use to blow signal I to my garage. As long as your just trying to extend into the outer reaches of your house it works fine and can be had for 20 bucks. Installation is a no brainer, just plugs into your router.
  • Options
    Thanks muchly, Vinny. I'll have a look at this item. I appreciate your input... ??
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Do any if you brothers or sisters have any first-hand knowledge or experience with wi-fi routers and signal boosters for your home network?

I've finally gotten tired of occasionally losing my wi-fi signal when I'm in my garage with a stogie and my router is at the other end of the house. When I lose my signal and am forced to use 3G, I first get a pop-up box offering me the option of logging on to various other wi-fi networks - presumably of other folks living nearby. I'm wondering if one or more of those networks is 'drowning out' my signal (if that's even possible).

I'm told I can buy a signal booster to extend the range of my router but I know absolutely zilch about that topic. Any info or advice will be appreciated.... Thanks, Y'all....
    i use the netgear products personally and they pretty much rock.

if you are a Apple user and use Airplay at all this one is perfect for you:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Dual-Range-Extender/dp/B009MIGCW6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1422545620&sr=8-9&keywords=netgear+wireless+range+extender

if not, this one is good to go:

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N300-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B004YAYM06/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422545620&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+wireless+range+extender
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will 2nd Netgear products
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I've got an old Airport Express laying around you could have. Just plug it into an outlet and it will extend the range of your base station. I could offer you no technical support though. LOL. Let me know and it's yours.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey marty --- for $20 i'd say this one might be worth a shot:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/wd-mynet-2x2-wireless-n-range-extender-4?ref=cnt_wp_8_2

it's a one-day sale on woot.com so act fast if you're thinking about it....

decent reviews from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Net-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-universal/dp/B0090J652Y

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    WOW!! You guys ROCK!! Thanks a million for all the input. It's much appreciated.

Wouldn't ya know it, though?? I sure wish now I had waited but right after Vinny's response I jumped on eBay and ordered one. That's the story of my life, though. A day late and a dollar short. Oh, well......

Thanks again, guys. You're the best..... ??
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I use one in my house and can speak well of it. I went from one bar in the garage where I smoke to a consistent 3 and it allowed me to vherf without it getting all twitchy