Home General Discussion

Cigar inventory

Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
Does anyone here keep an inventory of the cigars they own? I have a friend that told me about an app that will allow you to inventory every cigar. He says its really cool and you can see every thing you have right there. To me it seems like a real pain in the azz. First of all to spend all the time to record every cigar, then you would have to add or delete every time you buy or smoke one. Im just wondering if anyone does this?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I did for a while, then I just kept living my life. It turned out to be a hassle imo.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    same as rain. when i had 50-125 cigars and was only smoking once or twice max a week it was awesome but once you get over 250-300 and smoking 5 times a week it just becomes a pain to maintain.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I've thought about it at times, but I kinda like the surprise that comes with those rare adventures to the bottom of the cooler.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've tried a number of apps, websites, etc and they all have their pluses and minuses.
    my biggest gripe with them is they're not all "cross platform" and sometimes don't update well between devices.

i use a gmail drive spreadsheet now (link in my signature line) and probably like it the best of everything i've tried. best part is i can access it from anywhere all i have to do is sign into gmail. and i can make it as detailed or undetailed and include whatever "categories" i want.

it's a PIA to set up the first time but good excuse to go through and check all your cigars.
    biggest thing is if you're gonna do it you gotta stick with it. once you get behind and lose track of cigars for a few weeks it's hell to try and get it all sorted out again

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use CigarGeeks online humidor. You can use their site or access it from an iOS or Android app.
    It is a hassle at first, but once you get into the habit it becomes part of your routine. Great to search on a brand name and see every cigar you have of that brand, how old it is, and where you got it from.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It knda seems a waste of time going to a stroke sheet every time I smoke one. I use facial expressions and utterances to keep a loose count.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of knowing exactly what I have but I don't think I would keep it updated. Maybe if I wanted to keep inventory of cigars I was specifically aging.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    It still sounds like a pain in the azz, but I could see maybe doing the aging humidors and not doing the ones Im in and out of all the time.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the Google Drive spreadsheet thing too, but I'm not very good and keeping it up-to-date. I found it helpful at first when we were smoking a lot of new stuff and I wanted to remember if I liked it or not. Now if something is that good, I tend not to forget it anyway. Every once in a while, I'll organize the humidors and try to sync up my spreadsheet. Seems like a good idea for someone starting off to help see a picture of what you've like so you know what you might want to try next.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    During a frenzy of obsessive/compulsive behavior I counted and ID'd the over 5,000 cigars that for some insane reason I own. Put them all in a big list. Made a hard copy. Took me about a month.

I don't find it to be a hassle to check off smoked cigars.

What is a hassle is when I smoke a cigar I have no record of or discover that I left an entire humidor off the list. ('Course those cigars are enumerated in the humidor list but it's not the same).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you name a cigar i can tell you if i have it.
    however i cant tell you off the top of my head what cigars i own.
    the thought of going through and inventorying every one of them seems time consuming. remembering to adjust it every time i buy or smoke is something that realistically wont happen.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a type a, ****-retentive data guy so mine is up to date on Google drive. I wrote a little script to so that if I type "no" in a column under distribution it takes the whole row and moves it to an archive sheet. I also have a number of pivot tables that help me organize.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I do keep an inventory on an excel file. What kind and size of cigar, when i got/bought it, how much it was and who it was from, and how many (in case of box/pack purchase). It is really simple and I have it broken down into my three lists: cooler, smoking humi and long term humi. I bet i only smoke one cigar every few weeks these days so it is easy for me to update. In the summers, when I smoke the most, I might not get around to updating the inventory right away. I just keep the bands and delete them from the list when I have time. Do I still miss some that I buy, trade or smoke? Sure, but no big deal to remove them or put them on when I notice.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Chuck N:
    It still sounds like a pain in the azz, but I could see maybe doing the aging humidors and not doing the ones Im in and out of all the time.
    i could see me doing that but not with everything
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an app that came with the original operating system, it's called my eyes. Here's how it works; I open humidor door, I SEE cigars, I close humidor door, inventory done. Conclusion, I have cigars. This hobby is about relaxation so I keep it as simple as I can.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    I use an app that came with the original operating system, it's called my eyes. Here's how it works; I open humidor door, I SEE cigars, I close humidor door, inventory done. Conclusion, I have cigars. This hobby is about relaxation so I keep it as simple as I can.
    damn that is some old school technology ... surprised you can still get tech support since it's older than the punched card computer
    ;-) ;-) ;-)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Thats pretty damn easy with a 20 count.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine are in alphabetic order but on my own language.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Would you think it wierd if I told you that sometimes when I get stressed I open up a spreadsheet and try to do something interesting with it? That relaxes me almost as much as a cigar.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:

Oh, Jeeze. And here I thought I was the resident smart-azz. You trying to steal my job, Todd?? ??
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded an app. That's as far as I got. I would like to keep an accurate inventory, but I know it would be a pain, as many have already stated.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    Winning
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out with good intentions, spread sheet, logged everything lots of details, reasonably well updated for about a year, lost it to cyber-space when my laptop crashed, to lazy to retrieve it. Found a really cool app that has a virtual Humidor with all the details to go along with, I think I actually entered maybe 10 diff sticks. It's to overwhelming too start over. I can generally remember if I have a particular cigar, sometimes even where it might be.