Home Non Cigar Related

Pipe Smoking

Anyone here smoke a pipe? I'm looking into getting into pipes and I'm a little overwhelmed at all of the different pipe tobaccos and the lack of reviews for them. If there are any pipe smokers here, can you recommend a good beginners tobacco?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Do you have a tobacconist that deals in pipes and pipe tobacco? If you do, I'd suggest going in there and talking to someone, they can help put you on the right path. That way you can look at the pipes up close, smell the tobaccos.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke a pipe. Paid 11 dollars for a corncob pipe with accessories. Thing is cheap and great. Depends on what you want to smoke and how expensive you want to get. Go to your shop and talk it over. Most will let you sample a bowl or two right on the spot.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Well, I'm not a pipe smoker yet, but I love the smell!! I have heard quite a few pipe smokers mention McClelland Frog Morton as a very aromatic and tasty tobacco. I have heard more recommendations for this particular one than others. I'm sure that this place could help.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for that website... Now i just spent about 15 minutes of my life over at ANOTHER forum and I'll be darned if I didn't want to buy a pipe now...

Luckily I had the will power to hit the little red "X" and come back to these forums!
    Lasabar:
    Thank you for that website... Now i just spent about 15 minutes of my life over at ANOTHER forum and I'll be darned if I didn't want to buy a pipe now...

Luckily I had the will power to hit the little red "X" and come back to these forums!

Just wait till you see these pipes! I love this site, fantastic looking pipes! Obviously, these are a little high end but are extremely interesting to look at! This place also has some good tips for beginners.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some beautiful pipes there. But for over $1,600, I want Bo Derek to light it for me just wearing high heels and perfume!!!
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have a 100yr old meerschaum pipe that was my wife's great grandfather's. it's framed in a shadow box. maybe i need to break it out and torch it up. i've been tempted by pipes for a long time, my grandfather smoked one, now you got me thinking
    The thing is, pipe smoke is much less offensive to most than cigar smoke. Now, us cigar enthusiasts enjoy the aroma of a fine stick, however, such is not true with many others (my wife included). So smoking pipe around others becomes an enjoyable experience since most people enjoy the aroma of nice burning pipe tobacco. I want to get into pipes, but it's kind of hard for me to decide on a pipe to buy. I guess it's kind of a life long investment when purchasing a pipe. The other thing, though pipes smell nice, I usually prefer the flavors of a stogie.
  • I love the smell of pipe tabak....im going to give it a try now...i'll keep you posted!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Do you guys no how long pipe tabacco will stay smokable? I want to get in to pipe smoking but it has been taking about 2-3 weeks for packages to get to me. Will it still be smokable by then? Is pipe tabacco any where near as "upsetable" as a cigar?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it is sealed good and you have fresh stuff it will be good. I actually have smoked stuff from a year ago that isn't so fresh. It isn't as good as fresh but it was still good. I think most people I talk to say you want to smoke it within a couple months. It is really cheap too.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I've had Frog Morton's and really enjoy it, but when I do smoke my pipe, I use a tobacco that is blended at this shop down in Seaport village in San Diego. If you are in the neighborhood and want to try it, it's Indian Pudding and Virginia Cut. The latter looks a bit like beef jerky.