Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Want to Travel More?

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
This is a general survey, not really a Q&A session...Families, couples, singles, all included here:

When thinking about travel - whether it´s overnight, weekends, or international - what are the problems you face? Lack of resources/information? Money? Time? What else? Do you feel like, if you were able to solve those problems, travel is something you´d like to do more of?

Looking forward to your input!
¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to travel period.Have not because of all of the above, really. It'd have to be during summer so the klids don't miss school. We'd have to coordinate both of us getting time off, which is hard when you both work and go to school. I will have a bit easier time scheduling once I get out of the Army, but then it's back to school while working...so..I hope it's something I can do later in life.Maybe I'll try and go to the Chicago herf.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to travel more. Time would be an issue with my wife as it's harder for her to get days off work. My boss is pretty cool and I can usually get any days that I need off. Money would definitely be the biggest issue. There's lots of places outside the country that I would love to see but it just seems to expensive. I went to Cost Rica and then Australia/New Zealand when I was in high school but each of those cost a few thousand dollars for one so trying to come up with the money for two seems hard.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    This is a general survey, not really a Q&A session...Families, couples, singles, all included here:

When thinking about travel - whether it´s overnight, weekends, or international - what are the problems you face? Lack of resources/information? Money? Time? What else? Do you feel like, if you were able to solve those problems, travel is something you´d like to do more of?

Looking forward to your input!

I would love to travel. Our biggest holdbacks are funding, our 6 year old child and time off. We try to save our vacation time for the winter and fall when our daughter gets sick. lol If we didn't have those setbacks i think i would travel as much as possible. I love being in a new environment and have that extreme unfamiliar feeling of a place. But my biggest problem is i fall in love with places so easily and wont want to leave. lol

When i travel somewhere new i research the crap outta it. How to get to places i want to see, basic transportation and directions, places to eat and sleep... etc. I love the planning process as much as i love the trip itself.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I love to travel for pleasure, but since the birth of our son we haven't had the vacation time saved up to go anywhere big. End of March we are going to Belize and Honduras which will be our first big vacation since he was born. My wife and I both travel periodically for work and we try and go together if it's some place we haven't been that way at least half the travel cost will be paid by our employers. We are doing Philly, Chicago, Baltimore, and San Diego with work this year so it should be a good travel year. For us the biggest challenge is getting the time off work. We are pretty good shoppers so good travel deals can be found if you look hard enough. We like renting houses or apartments when we travel abroad rather than hotels. Cheaper and more authentic in most cases. Now if you've got a line on cheap airfare I'm all ears. That's usually our biggest expense.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to travel more. Usually, money is the reason I don't do it more often, but sometimes it's a work schedule problem. I'll be going to Chicago and/or New York later this year. I really need to save up and do a tropical vacation. Or just buy a one way ticket.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all about taking my fam on weekend vacations. It's tough with our dog Frankie though. Having someone to tend to him while we're gone can be a hassle.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lots of excellent feedback here guys, I really appreciate it! Looking forward to hearing more
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Man, we would find the time if we had the money. Talked about doing an Ireland vacation summer '16. Both of us will be out of school and I would have a job for about 6 months.

So yep. Money.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    We travel all the time. Empty nesters. Dogs are taken care of with the doggy door and automatic feeder and water. By motorcycle. Truck with tent. And our RV gets delivered in March. There'll be a lot more traveling going on then! All my travels now are here in the states. My first career in the Army has killed any desire to to ever leave the country again. Now we hit up a different state park, national park, BLM, etc. every time.