Home Non Cigar Related

New Toy

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Got a new toy. I remember when I was in high school I spent a lot of time with a microscope. I was fascinated by all the life in a drop of pond water. A whole new world. So I started thinking back and in no time I found a high rated microscope on Amazon for under $100. I've been looking at all kinds of stuff because the scope has led lights top and bottom. Three optics that magnify 40, 100, and 400 power. I'm sketching while viewing and may use the sketches in sculpture. If I find a tobacco beetle I'm going to cut that suckers head off and take a look. Cool tool for sure. image

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I used to love these things when I was a kid. Good stuff
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I had one as a kid too, had lots of fun looking at everything. Check out a hair, really cool.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Haha very cool man! I, too, remember loving these as kid in school - always interesting to see what something new looks like up close!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I always enjoy using a microscope.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I use to pee... :(
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Oh jim, jim, jim...what are we ever going to do with you???
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome brother can't wait to see what you come up with!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Got that exact same model for my son for Christmas. It works well. The other day I was looking at the microprinting on an Australian and a US $100 note. Fun for so many things. Enjoy.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bigshizza:
    Oh jim, jim, jim...what are we ever going to do with you???
    I almost did a spit take, though.

Microscope=cool. I had an inexpensive one growing up. One of the lenses got a hair inside somehow (or a crack or something I don't remember) and I got frustrated and stopped using the thing. I also had a little pocket microscope that was cool for taking with on camping adventures or just exploring around the neighborhood. Great for looking at bugs and pine needles and even a drop of water. It wasn't super powerful but I have a lot of great memories. Mom and dad gave me a set of slides one year for a birthday that showed a lot of different things. As I recall they were categorized as best viewed under which lens as well as by what they were.

Have fun! Brings back memories.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.