Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wills

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last Will and Testament. How many of you have one drawn up? Been thinking lately and I have been seriously lax in doing mine.

I mean, who am I going to leave my cigars and related stuff too? My fishing equipment was an easy decision. My firearms is a little harder. Clothes to Good Will is a given. Who gets my booze, no one else drinks and I drink so seldom most of it will be left. I made my wife primary on the deed when I bought the house and property so that won't be a problem. Definitely don't want my Cue stick going to any of the kids.

Don't want to answer these questions at the last minute, know what I mean?

Comments

• Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Last Will and Testament. How many of you have one drawn up? Been thinking lately and I have been seriously lax in doing mine.

I mean, who am I going to leave my cigars and related stuff too? My fishing equipment was an easy decision. My firearms is a little harder. Clothes to Good Will is a given. Who gets my booze, no one else drinks and I drink so seldom most of it will be left. I made my wife primary on the deed when I bought the house and property so that won't be a problem. Definitely don't want my Cue stick going to any of the kids.

Don't want to answer these questions at the last minute, know what I mean?
    Happy to take the cigars, firearms and booze if that helps eliminate any questions for you! In all seriousness, this is definitely something my wife and I need to do as well now that we're done having kids. Not something I like thinking about but definitely necessary.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Last Will & Testament is very important, but you should also have a Living Will and a Medical Power of Attorney, so nobody in the family has to make difficult decisions if you are unable to. A local attorney can help, but there are also D.I.Y. options, like LEGALZOOM.COM where you can put these types of documents together and then take them to a notary.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    A Last Will & Testament is very important, but you should also have a Living Will and a Medical Power of Attorney, so nobody in the family has to make difficult decisions if you are unable to. A local attorney can help, but there are also D.I.Y. options, like LEGALZOOM.COM where you can put these types of documents together and then take them to a notary.

I forgot all about them, thanks.
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely recommend getting this stuff done early. My dad didn't have any of it written up and then it all got thrown together fast and things weren't written properly and getting the house deeded over to my sister ended up being a pain in the a$$. So definitely do it while you can. It also makes going through the belongings easier with less fighting amongst the family.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    We made one several years ago mostly so the kids would be taken care of. If I go first, wife gets it all. If she goes first I do, but after that we set up a trust for the kids (if there's anything after all the debts are paid! Well, the life insurance on me will guarantee that.) We did the living will and other medical stuff like POA for each other. It cost us about $500 total with a copy stored with the lawyer in case ours should get lost and such. I'm less worried about what happens to the stuff than I am about the kids being properly cared for if they're not yet adults (or adult enough to handle a quick influx of income meant to help them through hard times). We specified who got the kids (check with them first!) and how much they would get from the trust. We also specified payouts to the kids at set times and for special occasions like weddings and college and such.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one as well, it includes what to do if I ever become comatose. Iv been told I'm a paranoid youngster, I just believe in being prepared.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:

+1 on that, don't leave home without them.
    I also picked up a long-term-care health insurance policy, enough to cover my meager 401K savings. Setting up a monthly annuity for retirement from this, my wife is the beni and don't want any disability to drain that out.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Honestly bro, it's not something that takes a whole lot more than an afternoon (or evening) or two of some good and honest thinking on a topic that most of us don't really want to face. I'm an odd man out, but I drafted up a Will when I first left the US and was headed with a backpack around the world at 24 y/o. Didn't have much to my name (or any wife/kids), but I wanted my family to know what to do with my stuff and what I wanted for myself after death.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Well I have started the process, thanks Puff. It amazing how much there is to think of and I have even started filling a box of stuff to burn. No reason to leave the gory stuff behind.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a living will filed at the VA. My other gets all if I go first and vice versa. I have a studio full of tools, guns, finished art and art in progress. Guess i better create a book detailing everything. Being 68 makes it more important I suppose. Humane Society will figure in.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    I've got a living will filed at the VA. My other gets all if I go first and vice versa. I have a studio full of tools, guns, finished art and art in progress. Guess i better create a book detailing everything. Being 68 makes it more important I suppose. Humane Society will figure in.

Can I have your DRAGONFLY?