Home Cigar 101

Long ash issues

EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of you have this problem? When I get a particularly long ash on a cigar -- something over an inch -- when the ash falls off I almost always have to relight. Solutions?
-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed this, too. I just take care to take a couple of extra puffs right away to make sure the wrapper is glowing along with the rest. Other than that, I don't know what to say except have some matches or a lighter handy.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed this lately too, could outdoor temperature play into this? I've also noticed a lot of times it falls off on me, not sure what that is all about, poor construction I guess ;)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    I've noticed this lately too, could outdoor temperature play into this? I've also noticed a lot of times it falls off on me, not sure what that is all about, poor construction I guess ;)
    I don't even need an ashtray. I prefer just to ash on myself.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Any of you have this problem? When I get a particularly long ash on a cigar -- something over an inch -- when the ash falls off I almost always have to relight. Solutions?
    ...... Don't let the ash get so long. :)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this problem sometimes. My guess is it is caused by a variety of factors. The rate at which you are smoking, the oils and moisture in the leaf, and the ash is restricting the oxygen from getting to the cherry. (At least while you are not actively puffing on the cigar.) Except to smoke a little faster (I hate to advise anyone to smoke faster.) I'm not sure what to do to avoid relights. Maybe the solution is to realize which ones are more likely to go out on you. Then you can dry box them ahead of time. I dunno.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    Edna20:
    I don't even need an ashtray. I prefer just to ash on myself.

There are nights that if you looked at me, you might assume I am doing just that :-/
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    So far the only time I've had to relight is if I slow my pace, a variety of things could contribute to this effect though, just had to relight a man o war, but in its defense I was googling to find my sweet Buddha avatar lol