Home General Discussion
Options

Using matches at home.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Big wooden matches 100% of the time when lighting up at home. Have to use a lighter when I am out but otherwise it is wooden matches. Don't ask me to explain, but I do notice a difference, and it is good.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scientists theorize that centuries ago, herds of wooden matches, sometimes 1000s deep, could be found roaming the wild.
    these matches were docile creatures, foraging the great prairies of the world, constantly on the move in search of new sources of food. the creatures were great in numbers, but not extremely powerful or overly fast.

over the course of the next few millennia, these wild matches evolved into more powerful, dangerous beasts that we now know as torch lighters.
    these torch lighter are solitary creatures unlike their ancestors who were pack animals.
    the torch lighters will fiercely defend their territory against rivals and they are fierce, bold predators at the top of the food chain.

but the torch lighter's docile distant ancestors have not been completely relegated to the history books.
    a small amount of these wild matches were kept around by humans and, over the course of generations, were domesticated and have become one of man's best friends.

sadly though, the gene pool of today's modern matches is not nearly as varied as it once was.
    there are only 2 types of wooden matches that exist today, the "strike-anywhere" and "strike on box" varieties.
    the torch lighter's have taken over as "top dog" in the food chain and have spread their seed far and wide with a variety of colors, styles, shapes, etc. existing in the wild.

(edit: fixed a typo and added reference)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    scientists theorize that centuries ago, herds of wooden matches, sometimes 1000s deep, could be found roaming the wild.
    these matches were docile creatures, foraging the great prairies of the world, constantly on the move in search of new sources of food. the creatures were great in numbers, but not extremely powerful or overly fast.

over the course of the next few millennia, these wild matches evolved into more powerful, dangerous beasts that we now know as torch lighters.
    these torch lighter are solitary creatures unlike their ancestors who were pack animals.
    the torch lighters will fiercely defend their territory against rivals and they are fierce, bold predators at the top of the food chain.

but the torch lighter's docile distant ancestors have not been completely relegated to the history books.
    a small amount of these wild matches were kept around by humans and, over the course of generations, were domesticated and have become one of man's best friends.

sadly though, the gene pool of today's modern matches is sadly not nearly as varied as it once was.
    as the torch lighter's have taken over as "top dog" in the food chain and have spread their seed far and wide.

Uhh, yep. Except for the "spread their seed" part. I usually end up burning my fingers, or half lit cigar while I dig out more matches. AB Burner and Xikar torch.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer an adjustable torch - one that can produce a soft flame or a torch flame. That's the kind I use most of tube time. What I dislike about most torch lighters is that they're "thumb-burners". Jeeze, I hate that.
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I really like the "old school" factor of using matches, I think jd might be right about a difference, trouble is, you either have to have giant wooden matches or line a few up on the table, pre-light, that way you can drop the burnt one and immediately strike the next, to continue lighting. I've been using a torch for many years, (don't ask) and the thumb burn can be mitigated with practice, unless it's a cheapie torch. But I think I can tell between wood and torch lit, but I'm not sure i can explain the difference either. I think after the many cigars of January that I've smoked, I'm getting the torch lit stogie down to a science though, and it's a far more effective and reliable good light for my stogies. This post makes me want to shop for some good big wooden matches, maybe I just need more old school match practice Lol
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried the giant cigar matches, and like SMOK3Y, I say regular wooden matches don't stay lit long enough. 

My method (when I want to light in a relaxed, natural way) is with cedar strips.  I make 'em on my table saw; 10min. of cutting is a years worth of cedar.

Lately, my technique with a torch has been to get the outside edge of the cigar lit well, and then let the cherry grow toward the middle.  It keeps it from getting too hot, and seems to produce a better char line.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well, there actually IS a difference. The burning temperature of matches vs. soft-flame lighters vs. torch burners (starting from approximately 700· F) is a significant difference , and the ignition point of tobacco is really only about 500· F. As such, I´ve found that torch lighters - though unquestionably much faster to light with - run a greater risk of overheating the tobacco and charring the foot. At this point, I´m comfortable enough with all the variables in using a torch lighter to feel confident using one, but even still I use only a soft-flame lighter on a regular basis, matches when inside, and keep the torch lighter for the beach house. When using matches, yes the bigger matches help, but also striking two at a time (versus one) and puffing on the cigar while lighting (as opposed to the typical toasting of the foot) generally works quite well.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Matches here, strike anywhere, then use a bic to touch up if needed during smoking. I do put 2 together, kind of split them to adjust flame.
  • Options
    aschwendt13aschwendt13 Posts: 31
    I always use matches at home, and light fully before cutting. Thats just the method that works best for me
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have those long fireplace matches and every once in a while I use them, but more often than not I use my bic. I have torches but find that for some reason I prefer that soft flame.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    aschwendt13aschwendt13 Posts: 31
    Yeah, if im on the go and its possible to use a bic, i do prefer that to a torch...
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    I say regular wooden matches don't stay lit long enough.
    One single Diamond kitchen match, virtually every time. Toast the foot; then draw a puff from the match flame; then blow on the foot; then set the stick down to let it burn in.

I have no clue why your matches won't stay lit long enough to do this. Are you smoking big mandingo jawbreakers, perhaps? I smoke either robustos or perfectos. Perfectos are especially easy to light, of course.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:

Over the course of the next few millennia, these wild matches evolved into more powerful, dangerous beasts that we now know as torch lighters.

Typical liberal anti-religious science twaddle. How could matches evolve because of natural selection? If the rules of natural selection applied, the only matches that would survive would be those that couldn't strike, because those could would be burned out of the gene pool. Thus, it must follow that the matches that survive today cannot light. And how could a piece of wood with some flint on it evolve into the complexity of a torch lighter through natural selection? It can't be done. Therefore, it is only logical to conclude that matches and torch lighters were placed on this earth by a deity of some sort, perhaps the version of God played by George Burns.
  • Options
    webmost:
    peter4jc:
    One single Diamond kitchen match, virtually every time. Toast the foot; then draw a puff from the match flame; then blow on the foot; then set the stick down to let it burn in.

I have no clue why your matches won't stay lit long enough to do this. Are you smoking big mandingo jawbreakers, perhaps? I smoke either robustos or perfectos. Perfectos are especially easy to light, of course.

Same Same...one is almost always enough.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    webmost:
    peter4jc:

Same Same...one is almost always enough.

By the time the match burns past the head/sulfur, you don't have time to toast! I might use kitchen matches on a perfecto, but I'll use a fireplace match on a robo and still sometimes not have a good toast by the end of the match. Anything bigger and I'm into two fireplace matches.

ETA: you guys probably "roast" marshmallows by just catching them on fire. Patience is rewarded.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    jgibv:

Over the course of the next few millennia, these wild matches evolved into more powerful, dangerous beasts that we now know as torch lighters.

Typical liberal anti-religious science twaddle. How could matches evolve because of natural selection? If the rules of natural selection applied, the only matches that would survive would be those that couldn't strike, because those could would be burned out of the gene pool. Thus, it must follow that the matches that survive today cannot light. And how could a piece of wood with some flint on it evolve into the complexity of a torch lighter through natural selection? It can't be done. Therefore, it is only logical to conclude that matches and torch lighters were placed on this earth by a deity of some sort, perhaps the version of God played by George Burns.
    You've both been misled. Both the matches and the lighters are re-incarnated manifestations of the souls of Thingamabobian extraterrestrials that were imprisoned in volcanoes on earth 250 million years ago. These Thinamabobians were imprisoned for belonging to the outlawed religious order of Whatzitdoen, banished for questioning the authority of the supreme leader. They can only return to their original homes by manifesting themselves as light to be sacrificed to the great Stogieraucher. After this, they may ascend through the ranks of the purified, eventually finding their way back home.

Many among you may contain messages of hope for the thingamabobians, indeed sometimes harboring their very spirits within you. For $14.95 plus shipping and handling, you can receive a kit including a questionnaire and a DNA swab to be returned to find out if you have a place in The Order. Should this be the case, and your dues are kept in order, you yourself will have attained the rank of Scuker.

After a period as a Scuker, for an investment of $400.00 you can apply for an interview with the terrestrial manifestation of the supreme leader, El-Rond Buzzard, who will ascertain whether you've reached the level of spiritual maturity to move up in rank. If this should be your fate, you will become one of the Order of the Wizened Lamprey, and you will be authorized to accept the tithes and donations of the Suckers, er, I mean Scukers. You will send forth one half of the tithes to El-Rond Buzzard, and use the rest to purchase the supplies, known as Sticks, that you will need to become a Stogieraucher yourself.

Once you've attained the rank of Stogieraucher, your sole remaining mission is to free as many Thingamabobians as possible, igniting their various forms and drawing them into the sticks to be transformed and released into their spiritual home.

I hope this clears things up.

Heathens!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At ere's a awful lotta writin fer so little sense.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    raisindot:
    jgibv:

You've both been misled. Both the matches and the lighters are re-incarnated manifestations of the souls of Thingamabobian extraterrestrials that were imprisoned in volcanoes on earth 250 million years ago. These Thinamabobians were imprisoned for belonging to the outlawed religious order of Whatzitdoen, banished for questioning the authority of the supreme leader. They can only return to their original homes by manifesting themselves as light to be sacrificed to the great Stogieraucher. After this, they may ascend through the ranks of the purified, eventually finding their way back home.

Many among you may contain messages of hope for the thingamabobians, indeed sometimes harboring their very spirits within you. For $14.95 plus shipping and handling, you can receive a kit including a questionnaire and a DNA swab to be returned to find out if you have a place in The Order. Should this be the case, and your dues are kept in order, you yourself will have attained the rank of Scuker.

After a period as a Scuker, for an investment of $400.00 you can apply for an interview with the terrestrial manifestation of the supreme leader, El-Rond Buzzard, who will ascertain whether you've reached the level of spiritual maturity to move up in rank. If this should be your fate, you will become one of the Order of the Wizened Lamprey, and you will be authorized to accept the tithes and donations of the Suckers, er, I mean Scukers. You will send forth one half of the tithes to El-Rond Buzzard, and use the rest to purchase the supplies, known as Sticks, that you will need to become a Stogieraucher yourself.

Once you've attained the rank of Stogieraucher, your sole remaining mission is to free as many Thingamabobians as possible, igniting their various forms and drawing them into the sticks to be transformed and released into their spiritual home.

Heathens!
    do you take America express?
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    ^^^^^^^^
    TOW nominee

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    webmost:
    ^^^^^^^^
    TOW nominee

I like it
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    raisindot:
    jgibv:

Heathens!

Y'know, Amos, if you're just going to make s**t up, just tell us ahead of time, okay?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:

Y'know, Amos, if you're just going to make s**t up, just tell us ahead of time, okay?

What? Infidel! I'm not making this up! It's plagiarized.

Now you prophesy against, but if you convert, and become recipient of the offerings, you will believe! And you will prophesy in the affirmative. In this way, we use the Scukers cash, to turn a prophet.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    My thought exactly. I stick a cigar up my a$$. Lights everytime.