Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone keep a pantry?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does any of you all keep a stocked pantry? We keep three months of food on hand in our pantry. We have a lot of canned goods, rice in 20 lb bags, and a assortment of nitrogen packed grains and long term freeze dried camping meals. 10 pounds of salt, sugar, honey, etc. When we buy canned goods I write the date on the can with a sharpie so we can use the older stuff first. We are not surviorists but the way the world is we stay prepaired. Three months of cigars too.

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have about 2-3 years worth of cigars, but food and water we would be dead in a few weeks.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I have 3 freezers and a pantry full, I would guess 4 months worth. And when that's gone, 20 cases of MRE's. I am lacking in water........
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    I have about 2-3 years worth of cigars, but food and water we would be dead in a few weeks.
    Laughed out loud when I read this Sherm
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    C-LOVE:
    rsherman24:
    Laughed out loud when I read this Sherm
    Me too, ;O)
    Will always be stocked up on the can goods and rice. Like FTG I could use more water. I have about 10 gallons at any given time but I should probably at least multiply that by 4 or 5.
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    We like to camp, hike, and cave dive a bit, so we have a few things like bug out bags and I have about a months worth of food and a few weeks worth of water. THe fiances mom has about 6 months worth of MREs and water, and assorted meds.. Only about a months worth of cigars tho! Im raiding a factory if shtf.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have water in the form of two springs. Also have two wells and one well has a overflow that has never gone dry in thirty years. I guess i should get more cigars.
  • Options
    jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We keep enough food and water on hand for about 6 months. It wouldn't be an exciting, gourmet 6 months, but we'd be okay. I used to keep cases of MRE's on hand but I've moved more towards dried and canned goods. I even taught myself how to can meats and veggies to help keep it stocked. :)

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Not yet. But I am glad we both went shopping before the ice fell. We have not been able to go anywhere since it came down.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    My pantries are called humidors.

We probably have enough dry and canned goods for a couple of weeks but that's it. Used to have a freezer and do meat deals at the local butcher but ended up eating all the steaks and good stuff first, then was left with a bunch of hamburger and chicken. Now I'm thinking of growing my own garden, all the genetic engineering of our foods makes me a little nervous. Not that I don't trust engineers, I work with them all the time.