Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor Repair

I have a Havana Foot Locker and i can see daylight when i shine a light in from the back right edge of the humidor. This is not a very expensive Humidor and normally i would just replace it ... however this was my dad's and when he passed away my Mom sent it to me (MI to CA) and i want to keep it. can i put a bead of wood glue on the back edge (on the inside) to repair it? Inside; http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u1/Zino_596/20150216_102133.jpg?t=1424026894 Outside; http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u1/Zino_596/20150216_102030.jpg?t=1424026968

Comments

• Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I dont think wood glue wood glue would work really well (but i might be wrong) its a type of calk that would work. If its something you normally would replace you could always turn it into like a accessory holder. I have a old one that i put all my cutters and lighters in and another one that i keep my bands in.

*Edit its silicone not calk
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome zino. before you alter the humidor, i would suggest trying a different type of "light test"....

instead of trying to shine a light from the outside in: i would do the opposite....

take the humidor to a dark room....
    turn on a flash light/etc inside the humidor .....
    close the lid....
    and look over the humidor from the *outside*....

if you're still seeing light, make note of those areas and yes you can "seal" the humidor on the inside like your original idea.

however, wood glue may be a little "runny/thin" for sealant purposes ....
    instead i'd recommend some type of caulking or even a hot-glue gun where you could get that into the crack and fill the void....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ZinoZino Posts: 2
    Thanks jgibv, i will try that ... i have a hot glue gun ... i will use that (if i see light in the opposite direction).
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to use silicone to help seal it, I'd recommend something like aquarium sealer.
    Most of them don't give off odors and are usually pretty safe to deal with.
    You could also try thin foam weather stripping.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.