Home General Discussion

Cedar Spills

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Anyone use spills to light cigars? I decided to try it and have to say I love it.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the thin sheets that come in boxes in my tupperdores and haven't busted them up to use them, yet. Considered buying some, but they seem pricey.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a really nice cigar bar called the Blarney Stone at Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach, SC. The bartendress there (very easy on the eyes) lights your cigar with the cidar spills. It's a nice touch.

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i always have issues getting a sharp burn when i light my cigar with a soft flame. i guess too much wind where i smoke.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried, but seem to have no luck with them. I've tried one alone, I tried holding two in something of a "V" configuration, but couldn't hold a flame long enough to do anything with them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never knew they were called 'spills'. But I do like using them, either breaking the cedar dividers from boxes, or making them on my table saw. I still toast the foot with a lighter, and think that has a lot to do with how well the cedar works.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    i always have issues getting a sharp burn when i light my cigar with a soft flame. i guess too much wind where i smoke.
    took me a little practice, I got to where I barely touch the cigar with the flame. Keeps the wrapper from being burned.

"Long ashes my friends."

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using some recently to light my pipes. They smell delicious.

Going to have to try it on a stick one of these windless nights

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    I have been using some recently to light my pipes. They smell delicious.

Going to have to try it on a stick one of these windless nights

-Jay
    I might try that. I like them for cigars sometimes, and usually use matches for a pipe anyway.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making myself a man cave, enclosing the back porch for a cigar room. I'm installing knotty t&g cedar lining right now. I ought to save up all the scraps to split for spills. Thanks for the idea.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Making myself a man cave, enclosing the back porch for a cigar room. I'm installing knotty t&g cedar lining right now. I ought to save up all the scraps to split for spills. Thanks for the idea.

Let's see some pics when you're done.
  • badandy24badandy24 Posts: 41
    I may try this tonight.
    I prefer lighting with a softer flame when I can.
    Andy

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer."
    — Maj. I. L. Holdridge | Retired
    I used to cut cedar spills on my table saw and use them a lot, but got away from using them lately.  Thanks for the nudge to go back.
    Peter,

If you need someone to help you burn any of those spills, I know a guy!

:)
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    jarubla said:
    Peter,

If you need someone to help you burn any of those spills, I know a guy!

:)
    PM me your address Jay.  Don't worry about your mailbox...  I've seen you in action and would be very reluctant to start anything.  Also, I've been turning out some nice little nubbers, if you can use one.
    Peter, I would love to retire my corn nubbers, or at least register them to newer BOTLs at my work.  PM incoming
  • FlyteFlyte Posts: 25 ✭✭
    I haven't had the pleasure of trying a cedar spill just yet. But now I'm interested. I'll see if I can find some cedar around the farm to cut up and try
    I got them today, @peter4jc

Thank you!

Will get some pics up once I get home after work

-Jay
    Apologies Peter on the delay in my photo!

Work was a bit nutty today, but nothing as nutty as your delivery!

Thank you for the very fragrant spills and the nubber! Those bodyguard stix are straight over the cuckoo nest. Thank you for your generous heart, good sir!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hit Peter!!'
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter