Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor RH Level

Hello Guys, I am very new to this so bare with me. But I am trying to get my levels to above 70. I have 21 cigars in my humidor it's near the max it can hold. I didnt season it for a week the way I should have, what I did was the wipe down with distilled water and I have a crystal jar humidifier and a sponge and my levels wouldn't go above 55 so I put a shot glass of distilled water now my levels are at 70. My question is, is it ok to keep the cup in the humidor? If not, what can I do?

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Why are you trying to get above 70RH? It is ok to keep the cup in. General rule for me is high rh means open the lid for a bit and low rh means spray a sponge with distilled water and lay it inside on a paper towel.I don't like wiping, I think that it's much easier to damage the wood by over saturation. We have a thread in Cigar 101 on how to do it.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    RH levels in your humidor should be below 70% to keep beetles from hatching so this is why most will tell you that levels of 65% tends to be a very safe environment. As far as keeping distilled water in a cup is one way to help with RH averages but be careful so as not to over humidify ....you'd need to check it often to not let that happen.
  • Options
    aschwendt13aschwendt13 Posts: 31
    I have a small desktop humidor that always has a bottle cap full of watwr in it because its junk, and thats the only way i can keep the rh high enough. With that aaid, be very careful not to spill any water, you could damage the wood, or your stogies
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much, I really appreciate everyones help. Also I thought 75 was ideal, but now I know better.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Yeah the old "72 degrees and 72 percent" recommendations that have been out there for ages really needs to be updated. For most people you ask you will probably find most like to have the humidity in the low to mid 60's.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    This dang weather reaking havoc with my Rh, i'm all over the place so I moved back to tuppador easier to control
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n!