Home General Discussion
Options

2 Years Later... UPDATED

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing with us. I believe your son is blessed to have you as parents. I'm confident you are strong and intelligent and capable and I expect you to handle whatever challenges come your way. And, may God shine his blessings upon you.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am totally humbled by everyone's kind words, prayers and wishes thank you! I have faith all will be ok and will keep the brotherhood up to date, thank you really!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    firetruckguy:
    Wait, you were sitting in your local lounge without me???? That's harsh bro........

Seriously, hang in there bro and don't jump to conclusions yet. Call if you need to talk.
    Lol sorry bro, was a spur of the minute thing when the kiddo went down for a nap and before we headed out for dinner with family so I only had a tiny window to have a smoke. Let's setup a time this week or next to grab a smoke! And thanks for the support brother, I know you've alwats got my back :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Brett - thank you for allowing us a snapshot view into such a deep personal moment in your son's current development. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and am so impressed with your interaction with everyone on this forum. You are such a gentleman and show genuin concern for all that you meet whether it be in person or thru cyber space. My heart goes out to you and I know what ever the results you will handle it with grace as only a gentleman can. By the way I am 50% Irish. My mom's side is Flaharity (sp) and Kennedy fom Scranton Pennsylvania. Take Care.
  • Options
    Dark Roast:
    Brett - thank you for allowing us a snapshot view into such a deep personal moment in your son's current development. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and am so impressed with your interaction with everyone on this forum. You are such a gentleman and show genuin concern for all that you meet whether it be in person or thru cyber space. My heart goes out to you and I know what ever the results you will handle it with grace as only a gentleman can. By the way I am 50% Irish. My mom's side is Flaharity (sp) and Kennedy fom Scranton Pennsylvania. Take Care.
    Thank you so much for such generous and kind words, means more than you know especially today! I simply do my best to try as hard as I can and follow the example of those that came before me, but I really do appreciate the sentiment! And welcome Irish brother to the fray ;)
  • Options
    So got some potentially devastating news today when Cael went to his 2 year checkup. His pediatrician ran an MCAP (sp?) test on him to try to check for potential developmental markers and it came back as highly likely for autism as I feared. They are also running genetic testing for Fragile-X, which is a breakdown of the X chromosome and affects cognitive development. It is one of the leading causes for mental retardation in children and this could also explain it. No final diagnosis yet as that happens after the two hour evaluation on the 3rd, but the initial gut check is that autism of some degree is very possible. Hasn't hit me yet, probably because I still have to function at work today and provide for the family as well as the 3rd hasn't come yet, but certainly a tough blow today. Will keep updated as I learn more and can handle posting about it. Thanks for the support, probably will cut down some on new activities here for a couple weeks while I try to get my head on straight.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Brett, sorry to hear this news. As you have said a thousand times to others here, if there is anything you need...and I can do it, I will.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Brett, sorry to hear this news. As you have said a thousand times to others here, if there is anything you need...and I can do it, I will.
    Thanks Tony, I wish there was something that anyone could do but sadly there isn't. Thanks for being such a great guy though my friend.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Not good news Brett, I'm so sorry for you and Amanda. At least things are happening, it's hard to deal with something until you know what you are dealing with. Cael is so lucky to have you two as parents, and you are more lucky to have him. God Bless you guys
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be praying for you. Some of the coolest kids I know fall on the Autism spectrum. Take care of yourself and the lady in this time, too. You're already a good dad, so you're going to continue to rock, no matter what's affecting your kid.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    So got some potentially devastating news today when Cael went to his 2 year checkup. His pediatrician ran an MCAP (sp?) test on him to try to check for potential developmental markers and it came back as highly likely for autism as I feared. They are also running genetic testing for Fragile-X, which is a breakdown of the X chromosome and affects cognitive development. It is one of the leading causes for mental retardation in children and this could also explain it. No final diagnosis yet as that happens after the two hour evaluation on the 3rd, but the initial gut check is that autism of some degree is very possible. Hasn't hit me yet, probably because I still have to function at work today and provide for the family as well as the 3rd hasn't come yet, but certainly a tough blow today. Will keep updated as I learn more and can handle posting about it. Thanks for the support, probably will cut down some on new activities here for a couple weeks while I try to get my head on straight.
    He's too smart for fragile x (probably). If it's autism you can only hope for the mild side of the spectrum and work with it as it comes. If it ends up that's what it is, look into behavior analysis. I can put you in touch with someone in colorado, actually, a good friend from grad school.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:
    He's too smart for fragile x (probably). If it's autism you can only hope for the mild side of the spectrum and work with it as it comes. If it ends up that's what it is, look into behavior analysis. I can put you in touch with someone in colorado, actually, a good friend from grad school.
    Thanks Ken, going to wait for the final diagnosis on the 3rd as this was more of a marker but looks like it's very possible for autism to be there. I agree that it may be very mild and to just take it as it comes. If that turns out that way then I would love to chat with you more, thanks bro!
  • Options
    Thank you George and Eric, really means a lot guys and we will be taking care of each other and just taking it a step at a time until we really know more, thank you all really!