Home General Discussion

Various Blends

Put my order in for some cigars for the month and noticed a few makers have gone off the deep end. What I mean is who blends 37 different blends?

When you look at the list for the "Classics" Partagas, Upmann, Hoyo ect you see maybe 5 or 6 blends. They make a good cigar and keep it at a high level. When you buy one of these cigars you know pretty much what to expect and are willing to pay the price.

Then we come to the other makers such as Gurkha - 39 "Blends"; Rocky Patel 33 and Perdomo at 27. Come on guys really?

I stick with about 3 blends with RP, Edge, Sun Grown and Cuban.

Gurkha and Perdomo I have only had from samplers. From what I remember the Perdomos were good.

The Gurkhas on the other hand were the worst constructed and nastiest tasting cigars I have ever had - no better than a machine made. Maybe Gurkha should kick all the blends and concentrate on a core 6 or so and really make them into classics.

To Cigar.com, please stop putting the Gurkhas in almost every sampler, you'll probably increase the sales of them if you do -

These are just my opinions of course. Just been smoking cigars for 40+ years.

How do you guys feel about this?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I don't mind them putting in some cheaper sticks in the samplers, because then you can get an Opus for $7 in the same sampler. If they only put in "good" sticks then it would not be nearly as cheap. Plus I have a use for cheap sticks....gifts, yard gars etc. Some of those cheaper sticks have turned in to everyday favorites of mine...looking at you AJ Fresh Rolled.
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    What blend of gurkha you had before? I am just wondering; cuz I think gurkha is , at least, not bad.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Fairwind:
    Put my order in for some cigars for the month and noticed a few makers have gone off the deep end. What I mean is who blends 37 different blends? When you look at the list for the "Classics" Partagas, Upmann, Hoyo ect you see maybe 5 or 6 blends. They make a good cigar and keep it at a high level. When you buy one of these cigars you know pretty much what to expect and are willing to pay the price. Then we come to the other makers such as Gurka - 39 "Blends"; Rocky Patel 33 and Perdomo at 27. Come on guys really? I stick with about 3 blends with RP, Edge, Sun Grown and Cuban. Gurka and Perdomo I have only had from samplers. From what I remember the Perdomos were good. The Gurkas on the other hand were the worst constructed and nastiest tasting cigars I have ever had - no better than a machine made. Maybe Gurka should kick all the blends and concentrate on a core 6 or so and really make them into classics. To Cigar.com, please stop putting the Gurkas in almost every sampler, you'll probably increase the sales of them if you do - These are just my opinions of course. Just been smoking cigars for 40+ years. How do you guys feel about this?
    you will find little love for gurkha, peredomo, and RP here.......but that also stretches to altidas owned Upmann, hoyo, and monte along with general owned cohiba, macunudo, and punch.

to me some of the worst construction outside of gurkha has come from non cuban upmann and cohibas. Ranging from wrappers that were too thin to much to tight draws. that's why i tend to like cigars made by individuals rather than larger companies that gobble up the small guys or well known names that they trademarked. I'll stick to my Crowned Heads, tatuaje, Caldwell, Don Pepin (bigger now i know), 1502, AKA, Padron, and LFD.
  • It was a 40 cigar sampler and if I remember right they were: Beast, Beauty, Centurion and Titan.

They were loosely rolled and just plain tasted bad. I really was expecting something better. This was a about 6 years ago when Gurkha was all that. Who knows, maybe they have improved.

Dan
  • You have a good point Rain. But put the "Gurkhas of the world" in the low budget samplers and charge accordingly.

I got a Iron Horse in a sampler, it wasn't bad and the box price was good so I bought a few boxes and then reordered more. You can find low priced gems in the samplers.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I mean, we have to keep in mind that (apparently) some people like them.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairwind:
    It was a 40 cigar sampler and if I remember right they were: Beast, Beauty, Centurion and Titan. They were loosely rolled and just plain tasted bad. I really was expecting something better. This was a about 6 years ago when Gurkha was all that. Who knows, maybe they have improved. Dan
    Did you say 6 years ago?? and you posted this today...because? you butthurt??
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Fairwind:
    Put my order in for some cigars for the month and noticed a few makers have gone off the deep end. What I mean is who blends 37 different blends? When you look at the list for the "Classics" Partagas, Upmann, Hoyo ect you see maybe 5 or 6 blends. They make a good cigar and keep it at a high level. When you buy one of these cigars you know pretty much what to expect and are willing to pay the price. Then we come to the other makers such as Gurka - 39 "Blends"; Rocky Patel 33 and Perdomo at 27. Come on guys really? I stick with about 3 blends with RP, Edge, Sun Grown and Cuban. Gurka and Perdomo I have only had from samplers. From what I remember the Perdomos were good. The Gurkas on the other hand were the worst constructed and nastiest tasting cigars I have ever had - no better than a machine made. Maybe Gurka should kick all the blends and concentrate on a core 6 or so and really make them into classics. To Cigar.com, please stop putting the Gurkas in almost every sampler, you'll probably increase the sales of them if you do - These are just my opinions of course. Just been smoking cigars for 40+ years. How do you guys feel about this?
    you will find little love for gurkha, peredomo, and RP here.......but that also stretches to altidas owned Upmann, hoyo, and monte along with general owned cohiba, macunudo, and punch.

to me some of the worst construction outside of gurkha has come from non cuban upmann and cohibas. Ranging from wrappers that were too thin to much to tight draws. that's why i tend to like cigars made by individuals rather than larger companies that gobble up the small guys or well known names that they trademarked. I'll stick to my Crowned Heads, tatuaje, Caldwell, Don Pepin (bigger now i know), 1502, AKA, Padron, and LFD.
    I think there's a good amount of love for Perdomo around here, but you're right about the other two.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Never really impressed with Gurkha's, hit or miss. The Crest was pretty good but the best Gurka I've had was a micro batch, Liga TPB-1. Probably 3 years ago, got one in a sampler or something and bought a box. I'm sure they are long gone by now, mine are.
  • LOL - yep 6 years is a bit eh? I've been away from all BB's for about 5 years - they're addicting.

The reason I posted was the number of blends, not just because I didn't like Gurkhas. Who knows, maybe I'll get another one in a sampler and it'll be the best cigar in the bunch.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much agree. Something about 20 plus lines just seems gimmicky or something. Just makes me think each blend gets next to zero thought before it's made. I do enjoy a few gurk's and RP. And I've been wrong too... I was turned off by all the AJ Fernandez blends coming out, but the MOW little devils were one of the best AJ's I've had.

I will rarely buy a sampler anymore unless I call up ccom and put together some sticks I have been wanting to try. That's the way to go!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America