Home General Discussion
Options

NYC hangout

Hey Guys. I live a little outside of NYC and am heading in to hang out with a buddy for the weekend. We both partake in some fine cigars so we are looking for a night time place that we can hang out and partake in drinks and fine smokes. The problem is that we are not looking for a really upscale place where there might be a jacket dress code or large cover charge. Anyone out there have any suggestions for a cigar bar in NYC that's easy going? Not a lounge mind you, a bar.

Comments

• Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I just came back from NYC and found "the carnegie club" is a great hangout/bar. It has an upscale vibe to it, and looks totally old school, however there is no dress code. Everytime I went there I was wearing jeans a tee shirt and tennis shoes and was warmly welcomed. Also there was no cover charge when I went, but that was during the week and so weekends may be another story

There is a strange rule that I discovered there. You need to buy your first cigar from their selections which are over priced and very limited. Something about percentage of bill needs to happen in order to trigger something or other blah blah blah...

In order to get around the lack of choices and percentage rules they are partnered with the Davidoff store near central park. So if you buy your sticks there ( they have a HUGE selection), go to the carnigie club with your receipt, you can smoke whatever you want, even stuff you brought from your humi.

Let us know how it goes!

• Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Let me know what you find, since I'm going to be celebrating my birthday in a month, and would like a place to go since I'll be 21.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    might wanna check CA's website, they just did an article about places to smoke cigars in NYC. It was quite good.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Went to a whole bunch of places actually and they were all very accomodating. I went to both cigar inn locations and the davidoff shop in columbus circle. I spent an afternoon in the smaller Cigar Inn and that was nice but it was crowded since it was raining and the ventilation had a little bit of a tough time keeping up. Had a nice talk with the owner. We spent the night in the larger Cigar Inn with the CA Lounge and that was quite plush but it was very subdued, a nice place to smoke but it was more like sitting at home in a living room instead of a social scene. Which was fine but I was hoping for a little more life in there. The next day in the Davidoff shop was probably my favorite afternoon hangout because it was small and had great ventilation and nice guys working in there. It wasn't crowded, just me and 2 other guys, because no one knows its there and they got nice reading material and Davidoff matches and ashtrays at every seat. Something that slightly annoyed me at the larger cigar inn when they wanted me to pay for matches when I just dropped 40 bucks on a Padron 80year. They were the really nice long matches, but still.

Really wanted to go to Carnegie Club, but they have a 30 dollar cover charge on Saturday nights. Walked by Merchants and it looked nice, but I didn't go in because I was on my home and tired.