Home Non Cigar Related

Cigars and alcohol.

Do cigars really taste better with alcohol or do we simply associate it so, as wishful thinking mind you, as a good pairing in our minds simply to find a ruse to drink alcoholic beverages?
What possible taste could be added as it is a known fact that alcohol deadens the nerve endings on the tongue and palette as we consume more and more of it?
Would it not then, by this assumption alone, be that in fact the opposite would be and therefore is true?
Just thinking out loud.
Don't hate on me for not drinking when I smoke.

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think cigars and alcohol is a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The enjoyment of the cigar and the alcohol together outweighs any loss of taste the alcohol may cause.

If that makes any sense!

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I think 95% of all adult beverages mask flavors in cigars. Only on extremely rare occasions do I imbibe alcoholic libations as I puff on a cigar.

of course I like milder cigars so it is easier for a beverage of that nature to dominate.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Water or coffee. I dont think I have ever enjoyed alcohol with a cigar.
    One God, One Truth
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    What possible taste could be added as it is a known fact that alcohol deadens the nerve endings on the tongue and palette as we consume more and more of it?
    Would it not then, by this assumption alone, be that in fact the opposite would be and therefore is true?
    If you mostly get the flavor from retro then what's the problem? Of course it's better when you drink. Everything is.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Do cigars really taste better with alcohol or do we simply associate it so, as wishful thinking mind you, as a good pairing in our minds simply to find a ruse to drink alcoholic beverages?
    Just thinking out loud.
    Alcohol also acts as a solvent for many chemicals, which may aid in distributing flavors evenly across taste receptors, perhaps negating the effect of deadening nerve endings when consumed in small to moderate quantities?

That's my bs, contrary response. If you'd come down on the other side, I probably would have argued as you did. Sure some of it's in our mind, but that doesn't make it any less real. When I first started reviews, I only drank water. But on occasion, I just want something with the cigar, because this is, after all, about enjoyment. No hate on you, though. I totally get where you're coming from and still usually only drink water myself.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Just thinking out loud.

So far I've tried bourbon (good) beer (perfect) diet sprite (disgusting) and regular coca-cola (not horrible) Out of those 4 only on is good for my diet and its the one that tasted awful! So I'm stuck, I have managed to whittle it down to one beer per stogie, unless its a really strong cigar. I would say its a personal choice/pallet thing (no judging) :)
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Kuzi in that if you are just smoking a cigar for taste sake then most of the time booze will take away from the taste of the cigar with a few exceptions. But if you are smoking a cigar for the experience then I say drink what ya like and enjoy it. No right or wrong answer there. Oddly enough I like Pepsi Max or Coke Zero with stronger sticks and coffee with cream for milder sticks.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a straight review, I'd agree that it should only be water. But pairing a cigar with alcohol (or anything else, for that matter) doesn't really detract from, or reduce our ability to taste. A drink will bring certain flavors out of the cigar, just like the cigar will bring out certain flavors in the drink. It's similar in my coffee world; when cupping/evaluating a coffee sample, it's always black - but adding some cream will not only change the taste, but will also highlight some flavors in the coffee that weren't present before.

I think you'd have to drink a lot of alcohol before it really impacted your taste buds.

Then there's the idea that alcohol is a CNS depressant and nicotine is a CNS stimulant, so I like how they play together.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with most here, it maybe depends on what you're smoking the cigar for. In the summer time, I love an iced coffee with a Tabak Especial Cafe con Leche or Java Mint infused cigar in the morning or afternoon. I've decided that Sam Adams goes great with most cigars. Something about the flavor of the beer brings out flavors in the cigar for me that I like. I think Corona is good as well, it's mellow enough that it doesn't 'interfere' or impact the cigar for me. Whiskey, I don't notice a better or worse scenario there either, except with the Maple Smoked Knobb Creek, which again, I think enhances the cigar. I did once have a hot coffee with cream and sugar and thought it was terrible with the cigar.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I think 95% of all adult beverages mask flavors in cigars. Only on extremely rare occasions do I imbibe alcoholic libations as I puff on a cigar.

of course I like milder cigars so it is easier for a beverage of that nature to dominate.

YankeeMan:
    I think cigars and alcohol is a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The enjoyment of the cigar and the alcohol together outweighs any loss of taste the alcohol may cause.

If that makes any sense!

These are both good points. I find myself having a beer or two in between cigars more than pairing them together. I tend to drink mostly craft beer(s) and sometimes the cigar or beer can be completely masked by the other.