Home General Discussion
Options

Strange smell in my cigar

A couple days ago I smoked a Nica Libre that I've had resting in my humi for the last three months. When I pulled it out of the cello and took a big sniff, it had a faint ammonia smell to it. It didn't affect the taste of the cigar, but I don't remember any other cigar smelling like that. Has anyone else heard of a cigar smelling like ammonia before?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yes. this is common for cigars that have been pushed out before the proper aging/fermentation is complete. this isnt a problem in the big picture. if you have more just let them sit for a few months. they should be as intended within 6-12 months.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I don't think I would have smoked something that smells like old pee.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    What's worse is when you get the taste. Like kuzi said, just let them rest for awhile.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I've read about the "sick period" that cigars can go through where they have ammonia aroma's. I've experienced it, and it smokes as bad as it smells. I believe I read about the "sick period" in the "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars" and some interviews where the resting time is what cured the ammonia.

Let the cigar hibernate for a while longer, it should be less grumpy when it wakes up.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    yeah, I have experienced that on two Nica Libre also..needless to say they will rest for a year or so before trying them again.