Home General Discussion
Options

What cigar will get graded by Cigar Aficionado?

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
As the subject indicates, I am very curious that what kind of brand or cigar will get graded by the Cigar Aficionado?

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i paid them enough $$$ to have them "grade" a cigar I made out of Pho, old socks and Corian ..... my cigar would be sitting pretty up there with a 95 right next to a Rocky Patel.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    If i paid them enough $$$ to have them "grade" a cigar I made out of Pho, old socks and Corian ..... my cigar would be sitting pretty up there with a 95 right next to a Rocky Patel.
    +1. Lawl. It's true though. Pay them enough money for advertising space, they'll put you in the top 5, easily. Or at least that's what they seem to be doing every year.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean the top 25 for the year? Every issue has ratings. Some are kind of surprising. I always like to look at em, even with a grain of salt.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know very little about CA. But my not so humble opinion is that all reviews should be blind. Actually blindfolded. This goes for you ccom reviewers too. How can anyone be totally unbiased if they already know a lot of info about the cigar? It's like me trying to review an Alec Baldwin movie when I already think he's an idiot.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I know very little about CA. But my not so humble opinion is that all reviews should be blind. Actually blindfolded. This goes for you ccom reviewers too. How can anyone be totally unbiased if they already know a lot of info about the cigar? It's like me trying to review an Alec Baldwin movie when I already think he's an idiot.
    CA review their cigars blind when it comes to picking the top 25.

" Hey CA, that Pho flavored stick .... yeah that's mine. Here's an extra hundo. Wink wink"
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    CA review their cigars blind when it comes to picking the top 25.

" Hey CA, that Pho flavored stick .... yeah that's mine. Here's an extra hundo. Wink wink"
  • Options
    Lol, yeah they remove bands and have plain labels. However, all the rocky Patel bands are folded up dollar bills... ;) dpg Lancero scored high this past issue... I like that
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a business. I take the reviews for what they are worth. You see these 1 and 2 page ads from the big name manufacturers. I think DZR called Oliva as the cigar of the year because it was their turn. They had to double(?) production of the Malanio afterwards to keep up with demand. The reviews are like me reading an MOW review from Randy. I know I will never enjoy it, but I can't stop reading
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a business, so they no doubt let money (read bribes) influence some of their thinking, blind reviews or not. But OTOH, if they start putting up some turds on the Top 25, they'd lose all credibility, so they must be somewhat truthful.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    It is a business. I take the reviews for what they are worth. You see these 1 and 2 page ads from the big name manufacturers. I think DZR called Oliva as the cigar of the year because it was their turn. They had to double(?) production of the Malanio afterwards to keep up with demand. The reviews are like me reading an MOW review from Randy. I know I will never enjoy it, but I can't stop reading
    That, and I don't see CA as a go-to source for boutique reviews, either. Not that I read it much if at all, anyway. There are great cigars out there that simply don't make the CA radar. Which is fine by me. I love the Melanio, but don't know that it's the best cigar I smoked last year. But because it's readily available, it's currently one of my most-smoked cigars because I did like it a lot.

As to completely blind reviews. I've considered it. Problem is, I'd have to take up so much time unbanding and figuring out a coding system as to what's what that I've not attempted it, yet.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    rsherman24:
    That, and I don't see CA as a go-to source for boutique reviews, either. Not that I read it much if at all, anyway. There are great cigars out there that simply don't make the CA radar. Which is fine by me. I love the Melanio, but don't know that it's the best cigar I smoked last year. But because it's readily available, it's currently one of my most-smoked cigars because I did like it a lot.

As to completely blind reviews. I've considered it. Problem is, I'd have to take up so much time unbanding and figuring out a coding system as to what's what that I've not attempted it, yet.
    Completely blind reviews would definitely require quite a bit of extra effort. Perhaps even some assistance from others to prep your reviews. But, I think it would result in extra respect from your readers and perhaps even help us all discover some otherwise hidden gems.
  • Options
    Let's give CA the benefit of the doubt and believe it really is a blind tasting. Taking the bands off a Melanio Figurado doesn't make it any harder to identify that particular stick.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Let's give CA the benefit of the doubt and believe it really is a blind tasting. Taking the bands off a Melanio Figurado doesn't make it any harder to identify that particular stick.
    Or like a Padron 64. Some popular cigars are just distinguishable... especially if youre a big-time enthusiast as i imagine the reviewers are. I agree with the comment about boutiques too. Although I suppose a cigar mag geared towards the general cigar smoker will always, at least relatively, keep with the more well known sticks. I'd like to see a special boutique write-up though...

I guess it come back to ads though. Will rocky Patel buy multiple full page ads if his new cigar gets a 94 rating? Hell yeah. Will a small boutique manufacturer? Less likely. They seem to rely on social media a lot more, probably for the low customer acquisition cost
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Gurkha's will receive a 92 or better.