Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Reverse sear

D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
Personally, I think it's the best way to grill a steak...

Comments

• Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D Fresh:
    Personally, I think it's the best way to grill a steak...

Mmmmm.....drool! Damn that looks tasty!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh man oh man that looks insanely good wow!!! looks like a Bolivar night as well if I had to guess ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like we have a disciple of Mr. Meathead Goldwyn on our hands here. And I agree, Mr. Fresh - sear in the rear is the best ... bar none. ??
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful! I love a grilled steak... who doesn't??? Great job
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Sounds like we have a disciple of Mr. Meathead Goldwyn on our hands here. And I agree, Mr. Fresh - sear in the rear is the best ... bar none. ??
    I think I first heard about it on the Big Green egg forum. But I have read plenty by Goldwyn. Doesn't hurt that the NY Strip was a Wagyu #8. It was delicious. Picking up a couple more to take home from my favorite butcher shop on my way to the airport.
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    jlmarta:
    I think I first heard about it on the Big Green egg forum. But I have read plenty by Goldwyn. Doesn't hurt that the NY Strip was a Wagyu #8. It was delicious. Picking up a couple more to take home from my favorite butcher shop on my way to the airport.

Ah, so. And where's a good place to obtain some Wagyu #8 if you don't mind sharing that info? And assuming it's someplace other than Costco .... ??
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's a reverse sear?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Many people cook a steak right on the grill, but many will use a grill, grill pan, or cast iron/stainless to sear it over high heat and then finish it in the oven for more even cooking. Reverse sear places the steak in the oven first to start warming it and then you sear it over the grill or in your pan.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Martel:
    Ken Light:
    Many people cook a steak right on the grill, but many will use a grill, grill pan, or cast iron/stainless to sear it over high heat and then finish it in the oven for more even cooking. Reverse sear places the steak in the oven first to start warming it and then you sear it over the grill or in your pan.

For the real lowdown on "sear in the rear" or "reverse sear", go to Amazingribs.com and read what "Meathead" Goldwtn says about it. To the best of my knowledge, he's the one who started it all...
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    D Fresh:
    jlmarta:

Ah, so. And where's a good place to obtain some Wagyu #8 if you don't mind sharing that info? And assuming it's someplace other than Costco .... ??
    Jimmy P's Butcher shop in Naples, FL. It's a great lunch spot as well if you're ever in the area. http://www.jimmypsbutchershop.com/
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Martel:
    Ken Light:

For the real lowdown on "sear in the rear" or "reverse sear", go to Amazingribs.com and read what "Meathead" Goldwtn says about it. To the best of my knowledge, he's the one who started it all...
    Yeah I usually just do the grill the whole time instead of the oven. When doing it indirectly it's basically the same anyway, just prefer the charcoal flavor. It is really the best way to grill a steak, it just takes a little longer
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    jlmarta:
    Martel:
    Ken Light:

Yeah I usually just do the grill the whole time instead of the oven. When doing it indirectly it's basically the same anyway, just prefer the charcoal flavor. It is really the best way to grill a steak, it just takes a little longer

Right. I've done steaks and tri-tips using this method and IMO there's a noticeable improvement in the end product. ??
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I've always been under the assumption that the reverse sear is to start in the oven ..... At 250 til the steak reaches an internal Temperture of 130 then you let the steak rest for 15-20 minutes and then sear in a cast iron or grill over high heat for about 1 minute per side ..... Then slice/eat immediately...... It gives you a small layer of sear on top and bottom and all medium rare in the rest of the steak.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    That was my guess, but doesn't the lack of sear allow more juices to escape as it cooks? Sounds like a restaurant short-hand method where you par cook and then finish it to order. Definitely skeptical that this would improve the finished product, but open to trying it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    That was my guess, but doesn't the lack of sear allow more juices to escape as it cooks? Sounds like a restaurant short-hand method where you par cook and then finish it to order. Definitely skeptical that this would improve the finished product, but open to trying it.

Doesn't work like that, Ken. You'd have to read the article. I can't begin to explain it as well as Goldwyn does. ....
  • Options
    Okay, here, try this:

Click Here