Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Bourbon Untrueisms

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
JACK DANIEL’S IS BOURBON. The spirit is a Tennessee whiskey, not a bourbon. What’s the difference? Jack Daniel’s goes through a special charcoal-filtering process before it’s put into barrels.

ALL BOURBON IS MADE IN KENTUCKY. While most bourbon comes from the Bluegrass State (according to the Kentucky Distillers’ Association, 95 percent of the planet’s supply is born there), by law the alcohol can be distilled anywhere in the United States.

OLDER BOURBON IS BETTER. Nearly every week, we’re asked about super-premium and super-old bourbons such as Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23 Years Old. Older bourbon isn’t necessarily better: If the spirit spends too long in a barrel, all you’ll taste is the wood.

YOU CAN’T ADD ICE AND MIXERS. If you want to add ice, use a jumbo cube that chills thoroughly but melts slowly. Bourbon is also, of course, delicious in cocktails. We particularly like it in a simple and refreshing Presbyterian and the classic mint julep.

BOURBON IS MADE FROM A SECRET RECIPE. While there are many bourbons on store shelves, there are just three basic formulas for making the liquor. Knowing which ones your favorites employ will help you discover new brands that you’ll also like.

Of course we already new this because us cigar smokers are a sophisticated lot.

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Jack is made in America, 80% corn, distilled at 140 proof, is barrelled at 125 proof, is aged in new charred oak barrels, and bottled at 80 proof. It is bourbon. Charcoal filtering/mellowing is an additional process, making Tennessee whiskey a type of bourbon.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If you'd asked me, I would have said Whiskey because that's what it says on the bottle.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All bourbon is whiskey....

....but not all whiskey is bourbon.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    ......and bottled at 80 proof.

And this is exactly why I no longer buy JD. When I started drinking it (back in the day..) it was bottled at 90 proof. Later, they watered it down to 86 proof but didn't lower the price and didn't mention the weakening to their customers. Later still, they again watered it down to its present level of 80 proof - again without telling us or lowering the price. I know this is America and we're a capitalist nation but I still feel deceived by the way it was handled. Just my $.02 worth..... ??

It's kinda like if Bud Light suddenly started showing up on store shelves in 5-packs but for the same old price....

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been a big drinker. I like the stuff but so far I've never been an everyday type of consumer. (At least not for long periods.) I toured the JD facilities and became enamored by the charcoal filtering. They led us up to the vats and let us take a big whiff. Gentleman Jack is JD that gets extra-charcoal filtered again after aging (If I'm not mistaken,) and just before bottling so it has even more of that charcoal flavor. Gentleman Jack was my go to whiskey for a few years and still has a place on my shelf but, Lately I've been sampling some great Bourbons thanks in part to the recommendations from you guys on the forum :)