Home Non Cigar Related

Dog

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
So.... here's the scenario:

Last week the girlfriend and myself went to the Humane Society and looked at dogs/puppies...
We saw two we liked and went back three hours later and went into a kennel and saw a Pointer Mix dog...
Well this cute pup fell asleep in my arms and I knew I was hooked, but I need to sleep on all major decisions.
The next morning we were actually driving to the Humane Society to get the dog and I called the "Landlord" out of respect (the lower tenants have had dogs before, I knew they were legit) but when I called HE flipped out and say "Absolutely no dogs" and was rude about it...

Long story short he's a Douche and we're moving out in march now...

Question:
For apartment/duplex dwelling what are some of the best breeds out there??? We wanted a HOUND breed for it howled and didn't bark (neighbors) and for it isn't the MOST active dog but still fun to have around!

What are YOUR experiences?

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Don't get a hound...they're great but if they scent something they'll run away and never come back. Plus they bay allllll the time. When I lived in an apartment I had a golden retriever...perfect. They're fun and active but not overly hyper for an apartment, and they're very obedient. But you can take them to the park to chase a ball or whatever.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    What does the lease you signed say about pets? My guess was he had a bad experience with the lower tenants and their critters, and didn't want a repeat.

I've had very nice, clean, professional, well mannered etc. renters with dogs. But when it's time for me to clean up after they leave, it's always more work for me.

I did ok another one the other day as the carpets are older in this particular place...still charged a higher damage deposit.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Yeah I had renters with outside dogs but not inside. some birds and cats . A lot of landlords will raise the rent a small amount and allow dogs.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    My apt complex is really not bad about it. It's a $400 pet deposit at move-in and half of it is refundable.

As far as apartment dogs go, I've actually heard Dobermans make awesome apartment dogs because they have energy, but aren't hyper dogs. There are some people that have one in my apt complex that is a big baby. Great Danes are HUGE, but are low energy dogs that are supposed to be great indoors. Personally, I'm glad we went with the Border Collie becaue they are high energy dogs, but very smart and easy to train. They need attention and exercise, but are great family dogs. If we didn't have such a little kid at home I might have gone with a Doberman or German Shepherd.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I've got a beagle, and he's pretty chill most of the time. He only starts howling if someone knocks at the door or something like that. I do live in a mobile home, so there's no one under or above me, but it works pretty well for me. If barking is a problem you can get a no bark collar for cheap that'll fix that. They even have spray collars for people who are worried about a little shock. You can program them to only beep after a few days so they expect the shock to come and stop barking. My beagle is calm when we're watching tv and stuff, and while I'm gone, but he's a ton of fun at the park and outside. I also use him to hunt rabbits. I've actually gotten him to retrieve a couple ducks for me out of ponds too deep to wade in.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I've got a lab, and he does great in my condo. However, I DO have one that is very calm, which is unusual. Whichever kind you get, go to Walmart and get a Guardian bark collar. Very very very low voltage collar that only reacts to vibration from barking. Barely can feel it, and it emits an ultrasonic beep first. Put it on my dog when he first decided to start barking, and he immediately quit and hasn't barked since. He will still growl though when someone is coming to the door.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I live in a townhouse. I have two dogs and a cat and for a few days actually had three dogs(the wife and I rescued a 4 month old foxhound that was going to be put down). Anyway, I have a German Short-haired Pointer and a English Springer Spaniel. I've told this story before, but I've never gone and looked for an animal all three of ours were given to us by family that couldn't keep them for one reason or another. We're suckers.

The Springer Spaniel was 10 when I got him and he's about to be 13 so he's just old and chill and its hard to tell how he would have done as a pup in the townhouse. But he was my Mom's dog so I've been around him since he was 9 weeks old and he was 100 miles an hour back then. However, if kids are a possibility this is a breed you need to steer far away from as later in life they have severe possesive aggression problems.

I love both my dogs but my pointer is more like a friend. She's easily the smartest dog I've ever been around and she has done great through countless moves and my crazy schedules. Just my opinion.