Home General Discussion
Options

Copper lined humidors... Your thoughts?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
As the topic states. There are several really nice antique standing humidors on Craigslist that are copper lined. Not sure what to think about them. How well do they hold levels and how well do you think they handle cigars? Obviously won't have the same cedar and tabacco scents... Not sure what my stance is on them.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the look and idea but in reality I would be very wary, only because copper is a fairly reactive metal and isn't a huge fan of humid wet environments. Haven't done any research but I know how reactive copper is and it's not something I would want to put my sticks in long term at least my nice ones.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ex-wife bought one at an antique shop years ago. She didn't know what it was used for. She just thought it was neat. Used it as a bedside table/nightstand in guestroom. I can't recall if it was before or after I started getting serious about cigars but I remember at some point I figured out what it's purpose was and I thought it was neat too. I still have it. It's just a conversation piece. I wouldn't use it to store tobacco.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper was used to prevent bacteria (or mold) growth.
    Remember that in the days that these were created, there was no A/C, refrigeration or any climate control.
    Copper is antimicrobial, so it inhibits bacteria or mold growth.
    Which is why it was prevalently used as a liner in those days.
    The mindset was that the copper would keep the tobacco bacteria/mold free and fresh.

How accurate that was, is anyone's guess.

As for using it as a humidor, the copper isn't a problem to tobacco as much as the fact that it most likely doesn't seal very well and trying to keep the humidity maintained might likely drive you insane.

Personally, they are better suited as a conversation piece that you can keep your accessories in.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Good info to know! :) I think If I invest in one I might just use it as d
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i thought they were mainly used for pipe tobacco if i am correct.

my great gpaw had one that he kept all his pipe stuff in. my dad has it now and it is hard to believe that it ever kept a good enough seal to hold the humidity at the correct level for cigars.