Home General Discussion
Options

To boost the torch lighter

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
I wonder if there's a way to boost the flame coming out from the torch lighter? I always think it's too weak. Anyone has any experience about this?

Comments

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    My Xikar has a dial to adjust the flame. What type/brand do you have?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    +1
    *most* torches will have some way to adjust the flame height, normally located on the bottom of the lighter.

it could be a large easy to move dial like this:

or it could be a small piece where you'd refill it with butane, and would need to adjust it with a very small flathead screwdriver.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    In addition, if you have a Ronson Jetlight, you can remove a retaining washer and crank it even higher than the screw alone will allow (2:42 in the video). Not sure if this is the case on most lighters. With the ronson, you can also make them easier to light which is the first 2:30 of the video.

I've tried this second modification on a couple of them since they're cheap (BTW, don't anyone dare call this a "hack") but by simply cutting the spring and pulling it out. I have noticed that sometimes they will continue to leak butane even after you've released the button after doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9inGkgXm0
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options

Followed the freezer method of refueling recently for my main lighter. It seems as the lighter is much more intensely pressurized now, as the flame is twice the length, and the sound is louder, w/o having touched the flame adjustment. NICE!

All thanks to the explanation from another poster on another board:

Via Emperor Zurg: ..

There's no air in there. There is butane in there; liquid butane on the bottom and butane vapor above it. Lowering the temperature reduces the vapor pressure of the butane. The result is that the butane CAN, which is at room temperature, is at a higher internal pressure than that of the lighter. That means that fuel will flow from the can into the lighter - which is what you want. The fuel entering the lighter will be chilled by coming into contact with the cold fuel tank so the lighter will remain at lower pressure even as it is being filled.

The worst case scenario is probably what all you people have been doing. That would be taking the lighter out of your warm pocket and attempting to fill it with a room temp can of butane. In that case, even if the lighter is basically empty, the instant a little butane enters the tank, it immediately flashes off on the warm surface of the tank and suddenly the lighter is at equal or higher pressure than the can. So fuel transfer stops with a drop or two of butane in the tank. Then you wonder why you can only get a light or two out of it before it's empty. It MUST be because it's full of AIR because I forgot to purge it! No, it's simply empty because you never got any fuel in it in the first place.

• Options
    VictorLouis:

Followed the freezer method of refueling recently for my main lighter. It seems as the lighter is much more intensely pressurized now, as the flame is twice the length, and the sound is louder, w/o having touched the flame adjustment. NICE!

There's no air in there. There is butane in there; liquid butane on the bottom and butane vapor above it. Lowering the temperature reduces the vapor pressure of the butane. The result is that the butane CAN, which is at room temperature, is at a higher internal pressure than that of the lighter. That means that fuel will flow from the can into the lighter - which is what you want. The fuel entering the lighter will be chilled by coming into contact with the cold fuel tank so the lighter will remain at lower pressure even as it is being filled.

The worst case scenario is probably what all you people have been doing. That would be taking the lighter out of your warm pocket and attempting to fill it with a room temp can of butane. In that case, even if the lighter is basically empty, the instant a little butane enters the tank, it immediately flashes off on the warm surface of the tank and suddenly the lighter is at equal or higher pressure than the can. So fuel transfer stops with a drop or two of butane in the tank. Then you wonder why you can only get a light or two out of it before it's empty. It MUST be because it's full of AIR because I forgot to purge it! No, it's simply empty because you never got any fuel in it in the first place.

Wow, this is cool; I guess I am having the same issue here.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Mine has a dial, too, and I have already turned the dial all the way to the '+' position.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    VictorLouis:

Wow that really seems a over kill!! First when you purge the lighter the gas chamber gets cold anyways...also this is why you should always shake your can of butane so the fuel can create more pressure. I know I've filled lighters to where there is only a tiny bubble in the chamber. But it's your time so do what you like
    Money can't buy taste