Home General Discussion
Options

Regarding how to know a cigar completely

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
I just wonder that if there's any sources I can refer to to figure out, for a particular cigar, what grade is the tobacco, when it is grown, what factory is it rolled by, who's the blender, and specifics like all these.

Comments

• Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good ?, I know it would help a lot.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vast majority of cigar manufacturers and factories are quite secretive about that sort of stuff so no, no place im aware of to get that information.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Vast majority of cigar manufacturers and factories are quite secretive about that sort of stuff so no, no place im aware of to get that information.
    +1 most will not disclose this much info; they see it like giving up a "trade secret".

wrapper/binder/filler and country of origin are about all you can expect.

you could try contacting a rep (either at the vendor, distributor, or manufacturer level).....but chances are if the info isn't disclosed on the packaging or online description, they're not going to tell you.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    I just wonder that if there's any sources I can refer to to figure out, for a particular cigar, what grade is the tobacco, when it is grown, what factory is it rolled by, who's the blender, and specifics like all these.
    Experience. One of the gents who taught me a whole hellova lot about the cigar industry could smoke a cigar blind and tell you the age, region, and composition of every component (along with the likely manufacturer based upon blending styles). Absolutely blew my mind, and yes I did test him on it.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    ^^^This^^^
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    What is this?
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    What is this?
    The correct question is "Who is this?"
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    mmkuchi:
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    What is this?
    The Yoda of the forums.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gurkha and RP buy their tobacco at Wal-Mart's garden center.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Gurkha and RP buy their tobacco at Wal-Mart's garden center.
    I heard you grew it for them... or is that another green leaf you grow?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    CCOM mag I got in the mail yesterday had an article that touched on this very topic.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    avengethis:
    mmkuchi:
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    What is this?
    The Yoda of the forums.
    Yoda I am not.

correct are the comments about detailed information

there are too many factors even beyond what was mentioned. Seed verity, country it is grown in, soil conditions, when and how it is fertilized, that years temperature, sunlight, rain, how and when it is harvested, where on the plant it came from, how it is cured, how long it is cured. temperature during fermentation, moisture during fermentation, how often the pilones are rotated, the pressure on them, how long the tobacco is aged post fermentation, how the tobacco is treated during the roll....

that little list is off the top of my head. if i really sit down and think about it, im sure there are about a dozen more major factors. this doesnt even take into account blending and how much of each leaf is used in a cigar.

if you want to know more about tobacco, just keep reading everything you can get your hands on.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    roland_7707:
    avengethis:
    mmkuchi:
    Chemnitz:
    Kuzi
    What is this?
    The Yoda of the forums.
    Yoda I am not.

correct are the comments about detailed information

there are too many factors even beyond what was mentioned. Seed verity, country it is grown in, soil conditions, when and how it is fertilized, that years temperature, sunlight, rain, how and when it is harvested, where on the plant it came from, how it is cured, how long it is cured. temperature during fermentation, moisture during fermentation, how often the pilones are rotated, the pressure on them, how long the tobacco is aged post fermentation, how the tobacco is treated during the roll....

that little list is off the top of my head. if i really sit down and think about it, im sure there are about a dozen more major factors. this doesnt even take into account blending and how much of each leaf is used in a cigar.

if you want to know more about tobacco, just keep reading everything you can get your hands on.
    Thanks!!!
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Spend a drunken night naked with it? Badumm tisss!

photo iStock_000008345824XSmall_zpssmz3qgi1.jpg
    Sorry, had to say it!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y:

Sorry, had to say it!
    - can i use your lighter?

-what? you arent gunna call it in the morning ?
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    SM0K3Y:

Sorry, had to say it!
    - can i use your lighter?

-what? you arent gunna call it in the morning ?

Depends, sometimes the good ole yardgars provide the most bang for the buck!
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we ever really know a cigar completely?
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Can we ever really know a cigar completely?
    I kinda' know the one I'm smoking. I completely know the first half. I'm still learning about the second half.