Home General Discussion
Options

spring cleaning?

jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone do a spring cleaner of their cigar stash? I do that every year. ie, vacuum the humidors, re-touch / wipe down the inside with a distilled water damp paper towel, spot check my intact boxes and loose singles. If any of you guys do it, how do you go aboot doing it?

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do it. Sometimes you find treasure you forgot about
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but usually wait until summer when it's more humid up here. Pick a morning that's warm and humid so I can just lay the cigars out on the table and take my time. Most of my cigars are naked so I have to be careful. Clean the humi's and inspect but never wiped them down yet.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to do this next week...my original humi has 3-4 year old crap buried in it...I spend most of my time trying to figure out how to put boxes back into the Coleman's.
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I just got a cabinet humi over the summer and have yet to clean it or really know how to clean the Spanish cedar. I am in the process of rotating my cigars this week.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rotate the crops and clean and re-season at the same time.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I do this 4 times a year. Once every season I'll remove my cigars, clean the humi, treat the wood, and put cigars back.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like to do a bi-annual cleaning.....

use diluted bleach (about 1:30 ratio) and a sponge. get the sponge damp (not soaking wet; wring out excess liquid.)
    then wipe down the outside of all my cigar wrappers with the damp sponge.

this will disinfect the cigars but also has the added benefit of killing off any mold spores so i never have to worry about mold in my humis!!!! #winning

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Good procedures fellas. i wish had a room that I can smoke a cigar and do this though!
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not done it yet as I have really on been at this for a little over a year. Sounds like a good idea though. Will have to give it a try once I get the house settled down from installing the hardwoods.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    jgibv:

use diluted bleach (about 1:30 ratio) and a sponge. get the sponge damp (not soaking wet; wring out excess liquid.)

this will disinfect the cigars but also has the added benefit of killing off any mold spores so i never have to worry about mold in my humis!!!! #winning
    You wipe down the actual cigar??
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:

That's interesting, diluted bleach treatment. There is no bleach odor, do you leave the humi's open for a while after doing this?
  • Options
    first off, @DZR & @3Stogies, you guys can have these back:

lol I do NOT wipe down the actual cigars, was just trying to make a joke.
    (guess i'm not very funny)

but i HAVE wiped the inside of a humi *very very lightly* with diluted bleach.
    had a stain in the bottom of a humi and was worried it could have been mold (pretty sure it was just stained from the paint/lacquer off of a box that was sitting there).....
    but i used the method above, barely had the sponge wet at all, and just went over that spot until the color faded. i made sure to not soak the wood or have a puddle of liquid sitting there. just very lightly cleaned up the interior surface.
    i didn't notice a bleach odor since it was pretty darn diluted and i didn't use much, but to be safe i left the the humi open for a couple hours afterwards before putting everything back in.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:

had a stain in the bottom of a humi and was worried it could have been mold (pretty sure it was just stained from the paint/lacquer off of a box that was sitting there).....
    but i used the method above, barely had the sponge wet at all, and just went over that spot until the color faded. i made sure to not soak the wood or have a puddle of liquid sitting there. just very lightly cleaned up the interior surface.
    i didn't notice a bleach odor since it was pretty darn diluted and i didn't use much, but to be safe i left the the humi open for a couple hours afterwards before putting everything back in.

I have used bleach on a mold stain in a closet because it is the only thing I know of that will get rid of it. But using it inside a humidor would scare me. Well, anything but distilled water would scare me. How often have you done this? I know the bleach would work but I would be worried about the after affects.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    I have used bleach on a mold stain in a closet because it is the only thing I know of that will get rid of it. But using it inside a humidor would scare me. Well, anything but distilled water would scare me. How often have you done this? I know the bleach would work but I would be worried about the after affects.
    i only ever had to do this once.
    (which is another reason why i don't think it was actually mold ... think instead was the color from the stain/paint that had come from the cigar box and discolored the spanish cedar)

and like i said, it was extremely diluted and i used it *super sparingly.*

• Options
    jgibv:

I'm going to try your bleaching the cigar wrappers technique. Maybe do a video type review.

Oh and here's a pic of my harry pig
    photo 20150227_094755.jpg
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    I'm going to try your bleaching the cigar wrappers technique. Maybe do a video type review.
    OH SNAP SON!!!!
    CAN I PUT IN A SUGGESTION FOR THIS REVIEW????
    PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!!
    THIS ONE:

danielzreyes:
    Oh and here's a pic of my harry pig
    photo 20150227_094755.jpg
    ALSO, IS THAT DREW ESTATE PIGS NEW FLAVOR?
    I HEARD IT'S SUPPOSED TO COMPLEMENT THE KENTUCKY FIRE CURED.....THE NEW "INFUSED" FLAVOR IS CALLED "PIG ****" BECAUSE THEY INFUSE THE CIGARS WITH POO BEFORE PACKAGING.