Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor Project

benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
I bought this cooler last year and I have been planing to redo it for a while. I finally got some time today and I was pleased with the outcome! This is a vintage Coleman upright cooler with matte black and "stainless" contact paper and a few stickers.
Before...

After...

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    Very cool.

Thanks Sherm!
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    That looks awesome!
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude! That is totally cool! Nice job! Can we see the inside?
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! That looks a million dollars! Good work.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:

You are welcome to see the inside but I don't have my trays built yet!
  • Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    benhanks:
    Puff_Dougie:

You are welcome to see the inside but I don't have my trays built yet!
    Sweet!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Thanks, I'm going to make Spanish cedar trays for it but haven't had the time yet. It has lots of room and once I get the trays done it will be even better!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's purdy! Never saw one of those coolers. Is it antique?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    That's purdy! Never saw one of those coolers. Is it antique?

Hey "Bob", the best I can tell it is from the sixties or seventies. If you Google "vintage upright Coleman convertible cooler" you should be able to see some.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did a nice job on yours, Ben. I bought mine new back in the 70's and drug it out of storage to use for a coolidor without doing anything to it.

Coolidor II photo Coolidor003.jpg

Coolidor photo Coolidor007.jpg

I've made different shelves since these photos but I'm still using it regularly.

• Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how amazing this looks...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Ben, I too have the same cooler..... Never soured it up outside like yours but then again it's at my buddy's house in his basement with a couple hundred sticks in it...... I have tow wine fridges here at my place. I was going to make trays then getting ahold of spanish cedar at decent price steered me away. If you search cedar trays on Amazon the large style tray for about 12-15 bucks is decent.... I stapled small wood pieces to the sides of the tray and they work perfectly to slide on the rails in the cooler. I'll see if I can drum up an old pic and add it in here ......
  • Options
    I considered making trays of Spanish cedar but then asked myself "Why"? The inside of the cooler is all plastic. It won't hold moisture or harbor any odors. I ended up making trays of wire mesh for air circulation and painting them. The painting was a bit of a mistake because I had to let them air out for a couple weeks to eliminate the paint smell but I couldn't deal with the look of plain galvanized wire mesh. The white paint gives everything a fresh, clean look IMO.

The photos of my coolidor are old - before I made the shelves.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to convert a bedroom desk to a humidor so bad....but my skilled idiot step son is in re-hab. I do have a hammer, but other then knocking heads I am not real sure how to use it.

I will be forever jealous of you guys with the know how and ability. Great looking project.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    I considered making trays of Spanish cedar but then asked myself "Why"? The inside of the cooler is all plastic. It won't hold moisture or harbor any odors. I ended up making trays of wire mesh for air circulation and painting them. The painting was a bit of a mistake because I had to let them air out for a couple weeks to eliminate the paint smell but I couldn't deal with the look of plain galvanized wire mesh. The white paint gives everything a fresh, clean look IMO.

While I agree it might not be beneficial...to me the cedar gives it the more authentic feel of a humidor. That's part of the reason I am having an issue ditching my cedar trays in the cooler. It just gives it the humidor feel.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    avengethis:
    jlmarta:

While I agree it might not be beneficial...to me the cedar gives it the more authentic feel of a humidor. That's part of the reason I am having an issue ditching my cedar trays in the cooler. It just gives it the humidor feel.

In that case, I'd say go for it. It'll definitely make it look better.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    avengethis:
    jlmarta:

In that case, I'd say go for it. It'll definitely make it look better.

+1

I have a hard time imagining a humidor without the cedar.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the kind words. I too want the Spanish cedar for the "authenticity" of the matter. I think it will be a fun project and I will be able to store things more efficiently if I lay it out properly. I enjoy woodworking. The last project I did was for my wife. I made her a book holder for a set of first edition Chronicles of Narnia books that she has. I made the case and had an artist friend of mine make the casting for the front and the top...
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome Ben great job and the book holders are gorgeous man!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sweet all the way around!!! Coolers to the book holders.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    benhanks:
    Thanks for all of the kind words. I too want the Spanish cedar for the "authenticity" of the matter. I think it will be a fun project and I will be able to store things more efficiently if I lay it out properly. I enjoy woodworking. The last project I did was for my wife. I made her a book holder for a set of first edition Chronicles of Narnia books that she has. I made the case and had an artist friend of mine make the casting for the front and the top...
    Totally awesome! That casting of Aslan is stunning!
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    That is amazing! I'm having trouble getting a size perspective though. Is that a book end or a small book case? Beautiful work!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ben it's nice to get projects done!
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Nailed it!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Chemnitz:
    That is amazing! I'm having trouble getting a size perspective though. Is that a book end or a small book case? Beautiful work!

It is actually a case. The sword is actually a handle to lift the top. We just moves and I can't find the books but you'll get the idea from the picture below. Also the castings are from Douwe Blumberg. You should Google his name. He has done some really awesome work!!