Home General Discussion
Options

What is this green spot?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    That is actual underdevelopment of the tobacco leaf... It's still green from not fermenting (kind of like the big brother of a "Water Spot")

Or it's mold... I've seen these before on a Faux Cohiba that I bought from overseas... I didn't like the Fauxiba but I've heard of other people smoking those green dots with no ill affects....
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    I feel pretty confident that it's not mold. I picked at it and nothing happened, felt just like the rest of the stick and no fur growing from it.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one of those but under the label so I thought it was from the label. I rubbed and messed with it and nothing happened. Smoked it last month and it didn't kill me.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I had one of those but under the label so I thought it was from the label. I rubbed and messed with it and nothing happened. Smoked it last month and it didn't kill me.
    Congratulations!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Its just an underfermented spot. I guess in theory it could change the flavor but I've never noticed it. I have recently been buying seconds more often, after J0zer turned me on to the ESV 91 Seconds, and these spots are common on the seconds but I've never noticed any flavore differences.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I have a 5 Vegas Gold box press in my humi that came as a freebie with my order. It has the same green spot just under the band. Thought about sending it back but decided agaisnt it as I really got hooked up with that order. Guess I will just smoke it and see what happens.
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    I have a 5 Vegas Gold box press in my humi that came as a freebie with my order. It has the same green spot just under the band. Thought about sending it back but decided agaisnt it as I really got hooked up with that order. Guess I will just smoke it and see what happens.
    That is the same exact cigar that I had that under my band. WTF?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    Sandman1am:
    That is the same exact cigar that I had that under my band. WTF?
    probably due to it being a Connecticut wrapper. I've noticed that a lot on Conn. wrappers and have smoked more than a few without it impacting the taste of the cigar.
  • Options
    So I can take this guy out of quarantine and put him in the humi with all his friends?
  • Options
    My cigar smoked perfectly and was great. I definitely wouldn't worry about that spreading. Mine was right in the middle of them all for awhile before I smoked it.
  • Options
    I have about 5lbs of tobacco drying in the garage, and alot of it has spots like this on it. It happens when the tobacco is drying, and drys a little to fast, the green pigment gets locked inside the leaf. I fought ageist it all summer while my tobacco was drying, hard to avoid, once its green it stays green.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    So I can take this guy out of quarantine and put him in the humi with all his friends?
    Mine has been chilling w/ his compadres since I got him. Probably wouldn't have been but just noticed it. Got him w/ a big order & was a bonus cigar so didn't give it too much thought. All the others are still just hanging out looking tasty!
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I am glad I found this posting, I too have a 5 Vegas box pressed that has the same green spot just below the band. I rubbed it to see if it was mold and nothing happened so I put it in a ziplock to see if it would spread and it didnt. I am glad I dont have to pitch it.
  • Options
    Dustin1981:
    I am glad I found this posting, I too have a 5 Vegas box pressed that has the same green spot just below the band. I rubbed it to see if it was mold and nothing happened so I put it in a ziplock to see if it would spread and it didnt. I am glad I dont have to pitch it.
    Dustin I smoked mine and it was fine. Tasted great except I choked on the smoke when these 2 super hot chicks walked up to me and my friend and started up a converstaion about cigars. I looked like a total ass that didn't know how to smoke. Anyway from what I can tell it was just a different color. Didn't change the smoke at all for me.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Totally safe to smoke. I had a RP conni that had quite a few spots like that on it. If it was mold it would have depth and yes, it would be slightly fuzzy. Lite it up!
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    When this thread had originally been done, my work computer and home computer were having issues so i never got to see the picture.

Now that it's been raised from the dead... I don't see the spot. You guys are trippin!!
  • Options
    forgot about this thread. anyway, the cigar in question from the first post has been smoked long ago and it was just fine!