Home Non Cigar Related

Old dogs. True to the end.

My oldest dog, a mixed hound of whom we named Lucy, rambled herself into our lives as an adult dog over twenty years ago, yes I really mean over twenty psychical years, a few months ago in January she passed. We never knew her true age only that part in which she resided with us. Almost twenty-one years if she had lived three more months. It felt as if we had lost a family member.
Now our second oldest dog, a wolf, Rottweiler and lab cross who weighs well over a hundred pounds and as by necessity had to spend his entire life secluded from other dogs for the safety of the others, has come to have major issues with his hindquarters to the point that he can barely move his back legs. His name is Junior, chosen partly because of the fact that from the first day of his life he was on a bottle fed by my wife, so he was my junior, basically a child to me. A sickly pup who quickly developed Red Mange, we spent untold thousands to keep the little runt alive and cure him, then after healing he quickly overcame his small demeanor, just as quickly he began to grow all the time having to live inside secluded from any contact with other dogs. His size became, at his peak, to one-twenty, being conservative, because of lack of exercise but even later, when finally allowed to go out in a secluded kennel and eventually a large pen, it was the size of his grandmother a huge full blooded Timber Wolf. His mannerisms were permanently altered during this time, hence his lifelong seclusion from other dogs, which he saw as threats no matter how friendly they were.
As I reflect back on the lives of these two friends one word comes to mind. Loyalty, never have I seen such, each would gladly have laid down their lives for me at a moments notice.
People should be so lucky as to have one or two really good friends like that.
Just my thoughts as I ponder the inevitable that will shortly befall me when I once again have to bury a true friend and loyal companion for eight years.
May they RIP forever chasing rabbits and running free.

Rodney.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Bye Rodney
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this bub. Dogs truly become a member of the family.
    One God, One Truth
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Losing a pet is always a hard one. They are family and loved accordingly. :(
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    20 years that's amazing though. Sorry for your loss, never easy. Dogs don't care if you come home smelling of another dog, that's loyalty lol.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like they were a couple of amazing dogs!! so glad you had them in your life. also pretty sure they knew how much they where loved and cared for !! thank you for sharing this with us all..
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grief! Twenty years! That's like 140 in dog years. Outstanding.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Bye Rodney
    Randy I get you have very strong thoughts and feelings on this but please bro let it go. Give a guy a second chance, it's time buddy.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Too late Brett, old beck has been deactivated. Check your PM's I sent one a day or so ago.
    kaspera79:
    Too late Brett, old beck has been deactivated. Check your PM's I sent one a day or so ago.
    Will do, thanks Tony. Been way busy so Havent kept up with almost anything let alone the backstory to what happened here. Wasn't trying to pick any sides just saying that posting rude stuff after every single F'ing post was wearing on my nerves and I wasn't even the one that it was being done to. Will read that PM right now. If you have my number shoot me a text othwrwise I will send that number to you via PM in a min
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Rain:
    Bye Rodney
    Randy I get you have very strong thoughts and feelings on this but please bro let it go. Give a guy a second chance, it's time buddy.
    I'm not of the opinion that if you get banned it's okay to make another account and continue posting like nothing happened. I respect your opinion and nothing I said was directed to you or intended to upset you, but I see that it did. I apologize for that, but not for anything I said to Rodney.
    Rain:
    90+ Irishman:
    Rain:
    Bye Rodney
    I'm not of the opinion that if you get banned it's okay to make another account and continue posting like nothing happened. I respect your opinion and nothing I said was directed to you or intended to upset you, but I see that it did. I apologize for that, but not for anything I said to Rodney.
    Randy I appreciate that and I do understand where you are coming from and hope that it's always been clear that I not only like you but respect you bro. Just was trying to say let's let it go and let live so to speak. But honestly I don't know any of the backstory or history here so truly it's honestly not my place to really comment here. Just hate to see this type of **** here is all. Long story short were good bro and I apologize for stepping out of line!