Home General Discussion

Remove residue from inside of humidor

I've been using a Humi-Care gel humidifier for the last year or so with no issue. I needed to refill it monthly. I went to refill it yesterday and noticed that it had swollen up, spilled out and gotten all over one corner of my humidor. I was able to scrape most of it off with a razor blade but there's still some residue left. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the rest of the residue or will I just have to deal with it? I have since changed over to Boveda packs.

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can try a very fine grade of sand paper and gently sand the area, make sure to wipe clean when done. Spanish cedar forms fine dust.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears you may have added too much water to the gel. If the stuff on the wood is gel, I would think (just an opinion) that wetting it would make it soft enough to wipe off.
  • dgstinnerdgstinner Posts: 2
    I didn't add any more water than I normally do. I also let it sit for hours after hydrating to allow it to swell before putting back into the humidor.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    dgstinner:
    I've been using a Humi-Care gel humidifier for the last year or so with no issue. I needed to refill it monthly. I went to refill it yesterday and noticed that it had swollen up, spilled out and gotten all over one corner of my humidor. I was able to scrape most of it off with a razor blade but there's still some residue left. Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the rest of the residue or will I just have to deal with it? I have since changed over to Boveda packs.
    Add it to the list of reasons to switch to Boveda. May be time for a new humi / cooler.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Xicar 250 count humidifier, I've never had a problem with it and it's still going strong a year later.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ExpendableYouth:
    I really like the Xicar 250 count humidifier, I've never had a problem with it and it's still going strong a year later.

I use a combination of Boveda and gel. The only time I have had a problem is when I left the soak unattended and spent a whole day cleaning up black squishy things all over the bathroom.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an alternative to using the gel.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boveda. . . Sorry JD. Don't yell at me
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the container. They are great for putting beads in.