Home General Discussion
Options

Drew Estate's Smoking Monk Special

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
E-Mail special. I thought it was a sampler of 1 of each and would have jumped all over it, just to try. Anyone have opinions on these?

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not personally tried any of them however the people that I have talked to who have said they were a let down.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible :(
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had the IPA and Triple Belgian... I enjoyed them. I personally liked the deal they ran recently for $25 for one of each.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edna20:
    One particular blend? Or all of them? Haven't had any. Generally don't smoke "infused" cigars.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Edna20:
    One particular blend? Or all of them? Haven't had any. Generally don't smoke "infused" cigars.

So far I've had the Imperial Stout and Porter and thought they were both pretty bad. I barely made it through the Imperial Stout. They don't actually say that they are infused, but they certainly seem to be. I don't know, I just felt like there was a sickening sweetness or something to them that I couldn't get past.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Edna20:

So far I've had the Imperial Stout and Porter and thought they were both pretty bad. I barely made it through the Imperial Stout. They don't actually say that they are infused, but they certainly seem to be. I don't know, I just felt like there was a sickening sweetness or something to them that I couldn't get past.
    Good to know. I've had a couple Acid's here and there, Kuba-Kuba, Liquid, etc., a little overkill goes a long way. I've been curious about the Opulence 3 and the Natural, and was mildly curious about these. There's been a couple folks I know that I recommended the Liquid to, because I knew they'd like it, and they did, but those kinds of cigars are just not for me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Edna20:

I do lie Java Mint and the Latte, a lot, but it looks like Monks won't make it to a humidor. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Edna20:

I do lie Java Mint and the Latte, a lot, but it looks like Monks won't make it to a humidor. Thanks for the input.
    I forgot the Latte, those are alright.

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Let down... I'd rather spend my money on Cinco Vegas golds
  • Options
    mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Edna20:
    I've been having this question for a long time: what is an 'infused' cigar?
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drew estate would say infused is different than flavored. But it's a flavored cigar... forbexample, they make cigars "infused" with coffee flavors. I thought these smoking monks were not infused, but only blended to complement beers, but I dunno. DE is the king of infusion. I'm convinced that they steep undercrown and Liga wrappers in something to make all the smoke, although they aren't "flavored".
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Drew estate would say infused is different than flavored. But it's a flavored cigar... forbexample, they make cigars "infused" with coffee flavors. I thought these smoking monks were not infused, but only blended to complement beers, but I dunno. DE is the king of infusion. I'm convinced that they steep undercrown and Liga wrappers in something to make all the smoke, although they aren't "flavored".
    Oh....are all cigars from all brands "infused" or "flavored"? That sounds like unnatural...
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Only brands that claim they are infused. They use natural flavors... but it's not really my thing. I like a coffee cigar every once in a while
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I accidentally made bacon cigars once. At least a strong aroma when I smoked them.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I was confused by the description. Are these cigars actually infused in an attempt to mimic these ale flavor profiles, or are they just meant to be complimentary?
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    I was confused by the description. Are these cigars actually infused in an attempt to mimic these ale flavor profiles, or are they just meant to be complimentary?

I have not noticed anywhere that DE has claimed or admitted to these being "infused" in any manner. Simply that they pair well. That being said, I've smoked and couple and I thought they seemed infused. Others have said the same. But then I don't have the most developed palate, so I can't say for sure. I'd say pick up a couple and give them a try.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33
    I recently picked up the 5 pack sampler too and I'm trying to find out if they really are "infused" or just meant to "pair well" with those brews.  I know most DE cigars are infused and/or sweetened, but they do make some that aren't.  For example, the undercrown and isla del sol.  So it's not a for sure thing when you smoke a DE that it'll be infused and/or sweetened.  I'm not interested in what DE says.  I'm more looking for your opinions on the matter.