Home General Discussion

Newbie - Sweet/Creamy Cigars?

Hey there!

I've been a lurker here for a while now. I'm a new cigar smoker (quit smoking a couple years ago) and this forum has been a great help!
I was wondering though, if I could get some recommendations for cigars.

I like sweet smokes (sweetened cap and/or naturally sweet/creamy tobacco). The scent of Captain Black tobacco is about my idea of a perfect (sweet type of) smoke!

Comments

• ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Are you an infsed fan? stuff like acid or java?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum clanderson. Have you tried other cigars and prefer the sweeter flavors? Most of the connecticut wrapped cigars have a creamy, kinda sweet flavor. Vegas Gold, Griffin, stuff like that maybe.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Best creamy sweeter smoke I have tried is the Nat sherman host selection. Natural type cigar that is not infused.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Welcome clanderson! I agree with the other recommendations here. You could also try the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Has a Cameroon wrapper that is naturally sweet.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    Welcome. Best creamy sweeter smoke I have tried is the Nat sherman host selection. Natural type cigar that is not infused.
    I agree with this. Otherwise the only sweetened tip cigars that I know of are not that great. Nat sherman host selection is mildly sweetened, but fundamentally, it's a great connecticut wrapped cigar. That's what counts. I suppose you could mix up a simple syrup with sugar and water and brush it on any good connecticut wrapped cigar as a DIY project.
  • Wow, thanks fellas! I'll definitely be giving all of those a try!

As for infused, I haven't tried them yet heh. I actually just ordered Acid Kuba Kuba(Sumatra?) and Acid (Kuba Kuba?) Blondie (though I got a bit confused when looking at all of the names... Different sites seemed to call the same cigars by different names)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Welcome clanderson! I agree with the other recommendations here. You could also try the A. Fuente Hemingway Short Story. Has a Cameroon wrapper that is naturally sweet.
    i agree with this. its not sweet like sugar but there is a sweetness to it that other cigars lack.

another one i like for a good subtle sweet (at least in the initial two thirds) is the Room 101 San Andres
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Nat Sherman Point Fives
    Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne Robusto
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    TBH you may be a fan of maduro cigars. Because the leaf is darker, many newbs -- myself included, stray away from them under the false impression they are stronger.

Maduro is simply a longer fermentation process (many great articles here in the archives on this) and it gives the leaf a sweeter flavor because of the extra sugars in the fermented leaves.

That said, Acid's are certainly sweet, but for something with a more natural sweetness you may want to try an Undercrown or Perdomo Lot 23 maduro. If you want to stay with light and creamy, the RyJ Reserva Real toro tastes like cashews and whipped cream IMO.

Long ashes to you!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find he AF sun grown stuff has a sweet flavor to them. For thick, creamy smoke I really like Aging Room F55 Quattro's. You would probably really enjoy a Caldwell Yellow Cake, they are a sweet, complex taste that is rather unique. Wish I had a box of them.
  • I just had a My Father Flor de las Antillas Toro and a Fuente Don Carlos Robusto.

The Don Carlos was way too strong/harsh/bitter for me - I wasn't able to enjoy it much at all.

The Antillas however was very rich and smooth, I really liked it a lot! Smoother than the Kuba Kuba/Blondie I had a few days ago...

Any recommendations based on that? I'm still in search of a sweet/creamy smoke, but that Antillas was wonderful!
    clanderson:
    I just had a My Father Flor de las Antillas Toro and a Fuente Don Carlos Robusto. The Don Carlos was way too strong/harsh/bitter for me - I wasn't able to enjoy it much at all. The Antillas however was very rich and smooth, I really liked it a lot! Smoother than the Kuba Kuba/Blondie I had a few days ago... Any recommendations based on that? I'm still in search of a sweet/creamy smoke, but that Antillas was wonderful!

Check out My Father and Ave Maria. They're similar in flavor profile to the Flor de las Antillas. Also, I find the Perdomo Lot 23 churchills to be quite creamy in all 3 wrapper varities.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AVO XO
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Thanks again for the replies folks! You've all been such a huge help!!

I'm now debating between getting natural or maduro wrappers on a Padron 64 and a Rocky Patel 1990.

Anybody have an explanation of flavor differences between the natural/maduro wrappers on these two?
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    clanderson:
    Thanks again for the replies folks! You've all been such a huge help!! I'm now debating between getting natural or maduro wrappers on a Padron 64 and a Rocky Patel 1990. Anybody have an explanation of flavor differences between the natural/maduro wrappers on these two?
    Maduro for the Padron and skip the Patel.
    Eulogy:
    clanderson:
    Thanks again for the replies folks! You've all been such a huge help!! I'm now debating between getting natural or maduro wrappers on a Padron 64 and a Rocky Patel 1990. Anybody have an explanation of flavor differences between the natural/maduro wrappers on these two?
    Maduro for the Padron and skip the Patel.
    Buy the maduro 64 and the RP. Try the Rocky for yourself and form an opinion.

If you hate the 1990, you'll have a great smoke for tomorrow in the 64. Long ashes sir!
  • bangor_cigarbangor_cigar Posts: 2
    Anyone go likes Nat Sherman hosts or Baccarats ...Deff wanna try the Pai Gow cigars and run like 38bucks or try Moroms not as close but closer to hate sweet tip...there's also a brand called National Brand cigar from hundorus I swear it's Nat Sherman Host with diff ring and n uncle 20 lol..there like 39 to 50 for 25 and Simone gave me one and a as lose I 110 box Nat hunters
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bro..... It looks like you responded to a three-year-old post
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone go likes Nat Sherman hosts or Baccarats ...Deff wanna try the Pai Gow cigars and run like 38bucks or try Moroms not as close but closer to hate sweet tip...there's also a brand called National Brand cigar from hundorus I swear it's Nat Sherman Host with diff ring and n uncle 20 lol..there like 39 to 50 for 25 and Simone gave me one and a as lose I 110 box Nat hunters
    All crap cigars
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah Billy Madison, well done.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Swisher makes a sweet one! Ahhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.