Home General Discussion
Options

Drew Estate Poor Releases

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Who here thinks Drew Estate cigars have really taken a nose dive in quality new releases? Maybe he should focus on the Liga line.

Comments

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The liga stuff is good, I haven't been to impressed with some of his other offering though.
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    I enjoy the liga series. The under crown isn't too bad either. I like the heavy creamy smoke.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I think "Drew Estate Poor Releases" is redundant and repetitious.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Nose dive? I thought they were always bad.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    Who here thinks Drew Estate cigars have really taken a nose dive in quality new releases? Maybe he should focus on the Liga line.
    I think it's necessary to point out Drew Estate was sold this winter to Swisher. There is most likely no "he" anymore. That said, DE should definitely focus on Liga and Undercrown.

I actually thought they were changing for the better with the Herrera stuff (Herera Esteli and Norteno), but I have a feeling Swisher will ruin everything. Grape flavored anyone?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I loved the Herrera Esteli Norteno I tried, and will try a regular HE soon. Thought MUWAT was pretty good, too. But yeah, the other stuff (besides Liga) is not my ideal.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I never really liked the Ligas. Dont stone me, but i cant get into em.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Everybody's got their own ideas/tastes but,............ does it matter? There are even such apparent variations in my own tastes, that sometimes a cigar I loved two months ago can't please me today. But, I'll give it another chance later on. And, speaking of "don't stone me" is everyone in lockstep with the RP hate now? Maybe y'all wouldn't stone me but, I definitely get the feeling that, at this time, judging from recent posts, I'd be looked down upon if I posted any praise for any RP stick.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Nope, never had a problem with RP. And I agree to each his own. They do have some good stuff out. Iv tried Liga a few times and they were just meh. Everybody's experience is a little different, even if they smoke the same cigar.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only RP that I ever enjoyed was the Decade, and even that isn't as good as I remeber it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    I actually thought they were changing for the better with the Herrera stuff (Herera Esteli and Norteno), but I have a feeling Swisher will ruin everything. Grape flavored anyone?
    same boat here. the Herera Estali is a good smoke.
    time will tell if the sale will really impact quality. give it a few years to let it really be noticed.
    for the last few years there has been many quality issues reported on forums. i personally have not had a bad DE stick as far as quality of the construction. DE has not been in my rotation as much as it used to be. I find the cigars to be stronger than i personally go for, and they have a tendency to burn out my palate, especially the Liga series.

im not sure how much swisher will change the concept of the company. i do feel they will change the business end of it quite a bit and maybe the culture of the company. this will show up somewhere but its hard to tell at this point. DE already has a HUGE infused market and they have some very popular non-infused lines. i have a feeling that Swisher was looking to pick up the higher end stuff because the usual MO of Swisher is the machine made market. Swisher, keeping DE a conceptual premium brand, keeps them in the Premium market... a market they really wanted to be a part of.
    i think i am a bit more optimistic about the transaction than most people.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    roland_7707:
    Everybody's got their own ideas/tastes but,............ does it matter? There are even such apparent variations in my own tastes, that sometimes a cigar I loved two months ago can't please me today. But, I'll give it another chance later on. And, speaking of "don't stone me" is everyone in lockstep with the RP hate now? Maybe y'all wouldn't stone me but, I definitely get the feeling that, at this time, judging from recent posts, I'd be looked down upon if I posted any praise for any RP stick.

I would never hate on your opinion. I might tease you about it or post Nish pics to troll you, but everyone can like whatever they like imo. It's my belief of RP (And I used to love some of their blends dearly) that many other much better cigars exist at similar if not better price points in almost every wrapper / style.

I learned of many of these cigars from this place, so in a way, you guys are responsible for my "hate". (Ba5tards!)

Their sticks that I like are the ones that differentiate them from other brands: Decade, 15th Anniversary, Edge maddie. The other stuff is meh.

Come on though Bob, that MARKETING tho? Rocky Patel has turned into a cheese factory. It's basically turned the image of their brand into a mid-life-crisis in a Porsche. Livin that good life.

This has been the Rocky Patel soapbox.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Come on though Bob, that MARKETING tho? Rocky Patel has turned into a cheese factory. It's basically turned the image of their brand into a mid-life-crisis in a Porsche. Livin that good life.

You don't take me for an RP PR fan do you? LOL. I just haven't had much to say about the recent RP "discussions". What do I think of that Playboy/Gansta "lifestyle" video? Ridiculous. And those other videos posted by RP? The more I see of him the less I think of him personally. Did you see the ALS ice bucket challenge video with RP and NP and the three layer human pyramid of them with their RP reps? Congrats on raisng money for ALS but, you would think the only woman in the group would get to be at the top of an otherwise all male human pyramid. Nope, RP is on top. And at one point she halfway collapses and by all appearances, it looks like she's getting her head shoved down by RP himself. It looks bad. It looks um,....misogynistic.

But, I'm not avoiding the RPs I have on hand and I'm not afraid to buy certain RPs again. I'm not really even an RP fan. I have had my share of RP dud sticks but I have enjoyed some of them too. I just noticed the large volume of forum discontent with RP lately when it was kicked off by that post about how awful that NP fella is, and I have neither defended RP, or NP nor hopped on the hate train for the ride. (Until now, I guess I was hating on their human pyramid just now. LOL)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not tried every RP, but I have never had one I liked.

As far as DE goes I generally don't like infused ( or whatever) but I love the Java Mint and the Latte's. They seem to be a good cigar, a bit strong, and the coffee is very real and enjoyable.
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak to the quality of the infused line but the Liga stuff has been fantastic having smoked several no9s, T52s and rats from different boxes. All performed and tasted fantastic.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked an RP x- out edge maduro last night, Bob. not bad... I like the $2-$3 price. Other than that I haven't had a Rocky in years. Use to love the 1990, maybe 6 years ago. Haven't had one recently. Nothing has impressed me since that
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I really like the HE and the Norteno, along with the liga T52. The undercrown robusto is pretty good as well. I don't buy a lot of their stuff just based on price, but all the ones I've mentioned have been good every time I've smoked them.
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    If a liga series or UC went on a good sale I would def put in for some. Price range I can usually find sticks I like better for much less. As for rocky. Man its hit or miss. I really enjoy his original Cammy 03. The decade was pretty good, but at $10 a stick I still would pick up another cigar. I have on occasion enjoyed his annavery series and even the 1990-1992 vintage. I have been wanting to try a prohibition, but man they were $14 a stick at my old B&M. Really with both these sticks your paying for the name brand and if your into flashing your cigar band around places well thats what ghurka is for. The liga series as has been said is absolutly fantastic, they just don't fit into my cigar budget. Hope no one is offended, I'm still a noon, but that's just been my observations. Hey but seriously smoke what you like and don't give a chit what others think.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Drew Estate

I've always enjoyed the T52s, one of the first "true" premeprimepremes I ever smoked.
    If memory serves me correctly (and that's a big if), my wife got me one to celebrate getting hired on full time at my job after graduating college.
    Never had a bad T52, and they will always have a sentimental spot in my heart.
    Will pick them up for special occasions, (vacation, anniversary, holiday, etc) but only smoke a few each year.
    The No. 9's & other "Ligas" don't do much for me. The Feral Flying Pig & Ratzillas were good but too hard to find. Not worth the hassle IMO. And I think I have a couple UF13s left, good but again don't know if I'd search 'em out again. Would probably go for the T52 instead.

Haven't had an HE or Norteno yet --- got a Norteno in the humi (thanks to blutattoo!), love the soft box-press shape, very excited to try it.

UC's are good but they've let me down a number of times, smoke output is insane out of this world but had too many burn problems with 'em; don't go out of my way for those anymore.

Always used to love the Tabak Especial's & their more wallet-friendly cousin, Isla Del Sol, for a morning smoke but haven't had either in probably a year or 2.

And
    Re: Rocky Patel
    danielzreyes:
    photo nished.jpg

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Nish is a big, m.f. ***!