Home Non Cigar Related

Found another dog

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
My other, Lucy called me this evening from down on the entrance to our little road. She said she had a dog she found running down the middle of the road. I hiked 1/2 mile and there she was, our dog Lady in the car and another one Lucy had by his collar. The collar had no tags. It is a full blood handsome young male long haired Border Collie. Really good looking dog. Great markings. i got a leash out of the hatchback and walked him back to our place. Didn't want to put him in the car with Lady as she doesn't do well with other dogs. The collie is clean and in good health. He wasn't thirsty or hungry so we figure he hadn't been on his own long. He is outside in one of our runs and has a place to get inside. Tomorrow I will call our shelter and see if someone is missing a Border Collie. i think someone is looking for him. Lucy really likes this dog so if we cannot find his family who knows we may have another dog. I'm going up to my studio to smoke a cigar and I'll check on new dog when i come down.

Comments

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a kind thing your doing.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found the owner yet?
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep Lucy took the dog down to the shelter this AM. She was outside with the dog on a leash and as luck whould have it pickup drove by. The truck stopped and pulled into the parking lot and it was the owner. He said that the collie had taken off the night before. Apparently the dog has taken off several times before. the owner promised the folks at the shelter that he would get the dog fixed and that may help. I think the young man who owns this dog doesn't understand Border Collies. Those dogs need a job and if they don't have one they will go look for one. The woman at the shelter has Border Collies and she was goin to take the dog. If we catch up that dog again we wiil make sure it gets to a place that it has a job and is safe and not with his current owner. We can only do what we can.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    Yep Lucy took the dog down to the shelter this AM. She was outside with the dog on a leash and as luck whould have it pickup drove by. The truck stopped and pulled into the parking lot and it was the owner. He said that the collie had taken off the night before. Apparently the dog has taken off several times before. the owner promised the folks at the shelter that he would get the dog fixed and that may help. I think the young man who owns this dog doesn't understand Border Collies. Those dogs need a job and if they don't have one they will go look for one. The woman at the shelter has Border Collies and she was goin to take the dog. If we catch up that dog again we wiil make sure it gets to a place that it has a job and is safe and not with his current owner. We can only do what we can.

Good to hear. And I agree people who get Border Collies (or any pet) should do their homework before hand. We had almost the same situation 3 years ago. Found the owner who cried for joy. Said he got the dog to tend sheep (lots in this area) But he had not got the sheep yet, he went out and got about 12 the same day. Dog is very happy.

PS Had not seen the ball you sent for awhile. The 2 conspiratorial Dorkys found it (they get everywhere) and it has been going from one end of the house to the other. The Dorkys (Dorkies?) are so funny and smart, but I am still sleeping with the door closed.
    One other tidbit of info. Found out the collies name. His name is Jake, the same name my fellow warriors hung on me in Vietnam. lol Maybe he will come back.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We used to have a Border Collie named Jake. Would go and round up the neighbors cows every morning, nearly became an issue. Also, you couldn't say the words truck, town, store, ride, or beer in his presence, or he would drive you crazy until you took him for a ride in the truck. Great dogs, but you've got to have the room for them. If we'd lived in town it would have bored him to death.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    We used to have a Border Collie named Jake. Would go and round up the neighbors cows every morning, nearly became an issue. Also, you couldn't say the words truck, town, store, ride, or beer in his presence, or he would drive you crazy until you took him for a ride in the truck. Great dogs, but you've got to have the room for them. If we'd lived in town it would have bored him to death.
    We had a alpha female Border Collie named Cleopatra. Had that dog for 16 years. We are lucky as we have some land where she could roam. Our three other dogs and us were her job. I remember her growling at me when I got up at night to use the john. She herded me back to bed. Border Collies are a handful and a half.