Home General Discussion
Options

Rocky Suggestions

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I would appreciate some thoughts on Rocky Patel cigars. Forget about Nish. I like rocky and his decade cigar, but have not had any others. Which ones do you suggest and which ones are truly tasteless. Taste is suggestive and to each their own. But is there some kind of concensus? I am tempted to try 15th anni, decade cameroon, royal vintage, vintage 03 cameroon.

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only Patel I've really enjoyed was the Decade. The 1990 and 1992 were okay, but I wouldn't purchase them. The Decade Cameroon looks interesting and I may give it a shot.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vintage 1990 and 1992 used to be very good. I haven't had one in a long time and I have heard that they are not what they used to be... I bought some "x-out" edge maduros and sungrown and was pleasantly surprised. The decade did not impress me, but that was a while ago as well" honestly the cheaper Connecticuts (not the vintage) are not bad.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Decade, 15th Anniversary and Sun Grown. Maybe I just like sun grown tobacco, but I have always enjoyed RP sungrown. They used to be a little over $5 and now they're at least $10. Good smoke, but I prefer the My Father sungrown or Flor de las Antillas for those prices.

I think RP should slash prices on all but maybe 3 sticks. Go for a different market and dig their heels in at that lower price point the way Nick Perdomo has. Too many overpriced lines, not necessarily "tasteless". Like the RP Vintage Cameroon -- good smoke, but for $10 I'll take a Hemmingway or Leccia White all day.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    As I do actually not mind the decade I'd say just stick with that! RP's pricing is pretty bad for what you get. I feel like this is more like a Gurkha question...you might find one you like and the rest will disappoint you
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be a major fan of good ol' Rocky but he developed a habit of taking a winner, fvcking up the blend and calling it improvement, and then jacking the prices out of sight.

First there was Fire, by Indian Tabak - a truly tasty smoke. He discontinued Fire altogether. The Vintage 1990 and 1992 were both quite good. The filler and binder of both were identical so, in a flash of genius, he put the wrappers of both on the same filler/binder and called it Fusion. Fusion was good, too. Ah, but he couldn't leave well enough alone. He's dinked around with the Fusion to where it's nowhere near what it was and there's no telling what he's done to the 1990 and 1992 - he's priced them such that I don't buy them any more.

The man just has a penchant for taking a winner and turning it into a world-class loser. Pretty much like Gurkha, ya might say.
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit green yet and to each their own, but I have not had a RP that impressed me yet. The Vintage 1990 and 1992 were ok, but, as some of the previous posters have alluded to, I may have been a big too late to enjoy them for what they once were. Still have a Decade resting in the humi.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the 15th was decent, good chocolate notes, the R. Vin is ok in a small RG, the larger RG is "washed out', liked the Edge Sumatra and Sun grown, thought the Autumn Harvest was crap. Haven't tried any of the others and haven't bought any in about three years, I haven't had any construction or burn issues with any of them but like I said it's been a while.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please refer to John Gibson
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been much of a Rocky Patel fan, but I picked this one up at a local B&M awhile back because I had never tried a candela wrapper. This is the RP Edge Candela. It was a good smoke.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The 15th toro is my favorite, although it'd kill me to pay retail for one.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    this
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Bigshizza:
    this
    THIS THREAD = TOW NOMINEE

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    Bigshizza:
    this
    Don't be like that. Be nice to the brother and give him your opinions and feedback, Aunt Johnmima
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    jgibv:
    danielzreyes:
    Bigshizza:
    this
    Don't be like that. Be nice to the brother and give him your opinions and feedback, Aunt Johnmima
    True true, DZR.
    My apologies to Christian. I know you're asking for real feed back and I was just trying to be funny.
    Probably came across as not funny at all & like I was being a ****....
    Not my intention .... you even said "forget about Nish"....so alright I feel you.
    I'd be more than happy to share my $0.02 on the RP brand
    christian1971:
    But is there some kind of concensus? I am tempted to try 15th anni, decade cameroon, royal vintage, vintage 03 cameroon.
    I think Marty's post above hit the nail on the head. They used to have some good blends. But they change the blends (usually for the worse) and keep the same label and tout the "high ratings" they received prior to these changes.
    RP gives new meaning to the phrase "rest on your laurels."

Like Marty, I used to enjoy the Vintages some years back, they were good....but then they went and fussed with the blends and it's now a completely different cigar under the same label.
    I mean, RP has like 100 lines already, why not just discontinue the "old" blend(s), pair down the offerings, and give the new creations their own new names and labels.

Hate on Viaje and Caldwell (and the other companies like that) all you want for all of their "LE" high-priced blends they release (I sure am not a big fan of that sales model), but at least these guys are giving the stuff new names and packaging and not "falsely advertising" a new blend that happens to have the same packaging and labels as the popular blend they created 10+ yrs ago during the cigar boom of the 1990s.
    If you change the blend, rename it. Be honest with the consumer. That's all I want. Period.

I would not pay more than the manufactures cost for any RP blend, aka don't give them any $$ for profit. If you pay more than that you're getting ripped off.
    The people who are in charge of the company don't care about the cigars or the consumer and that's all you need to know IMO.

I see you're tempted to try the 15th....
    Have you seen the one that NISH handed to me from his coat pocket....

YEEAAAHHHH......real great QC right there.

**** belongs in the trash.
    F** rocky patel cigars

• Options
    Whoa Dude ..... I was joking Bronilla Ice Cream lol.
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Whoa Dude ..... I was joking Bronilla Ice Cream lol.