Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Controlled bamboo growing

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
We have a hedge at my house that the prior owner (my dad) neglected. They were massively overgrown and I cut them back almost 2 months ago and there is no fresh growth. So I have come to the conclusion that it's time to cut it all down and reclaim yard and grow something in its place.

I want to grow bamboo in its place. It grows quick and tall so it will still act as a privacy barrier with our neighbors. I know bamboo can be massively invasive if not contained well enough. Do any of you grow bamboo? If so is it contained and how did you contain it? I have a few ideas but am not confident in them.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the species of bamboo. Do some research. i had a friend who grew the wrong bamboo.It ended up 20ft tall and growing everywhere. It came up through his back porch, went under a fence into his neighbors yard, and took over. He had to get a guy with a backhoe in to dig it out and to dig two trenches on each side of his yard to protect his neighbors.. He took 2 ft wide metal flashing and lined the trenches before he back filled them. Last time i was at his place the boo was still runing everywhere.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    We have a hedge at my house that the prior owner (my dad) neglected. They were massively overgrown and I cut them back almost 2 months ago and there is no fresh growth. So I have come to the conclusion that it's time to cut it all down and reclaim yard and grow something in its place.

I want to grow bamboo in its place. It grows quick and tall so it will still act as a privacy barrier with our neighbors. I know bamboo can be massively invasive if not contained well enough. Do any of you grow bamboo? If so is it contained and how did you contain it? I have a few ideas but am not confident in them.

Here ya go:

Click here

• Options
    jlmarta:
    LiquidChaos66:

Here ya go:

Click here

I actually stumbled across this site shortly after posting this. Lol :) has tons of great info! Just have to cut my hedge down first lol
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    jlmarta:
    LiquidChaos66:

Here ya go:

Click here

I actually stumbled across this site shortly after posting this. Lol :) has tons of great info! Just have to cut my hedge down first lol

And they're located right in your backyard, so to speak..... ??
  • Options
    Lol! I know! I'm planning a trip out there next weekend to take a look at their options and pricing! :) plus I'm gonna tap their knowledge of bamboo to make sure I make a good decision